Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rock sliders

Old 12-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
iliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
iliketurtles's Tacoma Gallery
Rock sliders

Just wanted to get the opinion of some people.

I was thinking about putting some sliders on my tacoma mostly to use as a step for getting in and out of the truck. I don't do any serious 4 wheeling, so they wouldn't be all that functional, but they'd offer protection if I dropped that portion of the truck down onto a rock or something..I could just buy the steps from toyota, but they look kinda ugly.

How lame would it be to add them for a step/looks instead of just buying some steps from toyota? Should I factor the weight of sliders into my decision?
Old 12-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
iliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Makes sense. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
hybrids!
I LOVE the Prius...such a badass piece of American muscle. I just want to make the truck as easy to climb into as my Prius.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
The weight isn't as bad as I expected then. I'm just gonna have to wait until I come across a Tacoma with some sliders and see if I can convince the owner to lemme climb in it. I have pretty big feet, so I might have the same problem with it as you. We'll see.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
Don't hate
Attached Thumbnails
Rock sliders-mywhip.jpg  
Old 12-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
Caltanian
Umrunner is on a distinguished road

Umrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Hey OP-
I had the same thought process a while back. Needed something to act as a step, and wanted a little protection.
The sliders have worked well for that purpose. I have used them off road, and as steps, and they work great. THey are also superb protection against door dings in parking lots.
There's also a shop that posts here on TW that makes step hoops for sliders to make them even more like steps.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
Phones Ringin Dude
SplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to behold

Name: Haywood Jablowme
SplitDecision's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/bee...ders-here.html
Old 12-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
hybrids!

x2
Old 12-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #9
HB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to all
HB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I just got a set and painted them this weekend. Can anyone offer tips and tricks for installing them? I put them on a bin and tried to get them in place just to see. I can see it's not going to be an easy task to getting them installed.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Check out the Avid Off Road step bars. They look like sliders but bolt up like side steps. They won't protect your truck like sliders but are easier to install and still have that look. They're also a vendor on here and offer a discount to TW members.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #11
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umrunner View Post
Hey OP-
I had the same thought process a while back. Needed something to act as a step, and wanted a little protection.
The sliders have worked well for that purpose. I have used them off road, and as steps, and they work great. THey are also superb protection against door dings in parking lots.
There's also a shop that posts here on TW that makes step hoops for sliders to make them even more like steps.
I have a set of Beefed Sliders with a step (although I haven't put the step on yet) but they saved my door and front quarter panel. I have fender residue on the door and quarter panel. The paint came off the slider and it is all over the guy that came into my lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.SS View Post
Sliders saved the door
Quote:
Could have been much worse
Old 12-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #12
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB Taco View Post
I just got a set and painted them this weekend. Can anyone offer tips and tricks for installing them? I put them on a bin and tried to get them in place just to see. I can see it's not going to be an easy task to getting them installed.
what make are they?
I used a set of jack stands to get mine close enough.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #13
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
There is a single thread on tw that has all the manufacturers of sliders, front and rear bumpers. If anyone can find it, there is a great comparison all on the first post.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #15
HB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to all
HB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
what make are they?
I used a set of jack stands to get mine close enough.
All Pro! How many holes did you have to drill?
Old 12-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #16
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4mud View Post
There is a single thread on tw that has all the manufacturers of sliders, front and rear bumpers. If anyone can find it, there is a great comparison all on the first post.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...gens-only.html
That is the bumper thread. Most of them if not all of them also make sliders, but only bumpers are pictured. I don't know of any thread that shows all the sliders made.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #18
︻╦╤─

Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB Taco View Post
All Pro! How many holes did you have to drill?
4 if I remember correctly. My jack stands got them to the right height. I think 'Beefed' said someone got a set of clamps and used those until they got the holes drilled.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #19
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
Yup! This is it. Just click on the links to see sliders on their sites.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #20
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Contact Tim at Elite Offroad. Ask for his hybrid sliders. I got mine today. Bad ass. Built to be very strong. They stick out 14" from the frame, so they allow you to use them as a step if you need one