Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

6 MT vs 5 Auto for DC TRD 4x4

Old 12-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
K2ufl is on a distinguished road
K2ufl's Tacoma Gallery
6 MT vs 5 Auto for DC TRD 4x4

I know this subject has been beaten to death, but a lot of the threads are older and I am looking to get a 2012 Tacoma DC 4x4. Only thing is I can't decide whether to get 6 speed vs. the auto. My 2010 is a 5 speed and enjoy it, but don't necessarily need it or have anything against an auto.
I'd like to hear from those that have newer model 6 speed DC 4x4 how they like 'em and what sort of mpg they are getting. I get avg 19 with my 5 banger 4x4 access cab and Im hoping I'd get something near that for the double cab 4x4. If the autos are getting better than that, that would be enough for me to get one.

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
5 banger ?
It has a miss.....
Old 12-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The 6 six speed isn't very good while the auto is very good. In the end get what you want.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
never summer
singlefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

singlefin's Tacoma Gallery
My 6MT is seeing about 16mpg with KM2's....this is daily driving thru the city not trying to conserve fuel. An auto in my case would probably see 18mpg.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Doesnt chevy make a 5 cyl?
I love my 6 speed. Mpgs are not why i bought the truck.
Oh and i prob get about 15.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
zfisher89 will become famous soon enough

Name: zach
zfisher89's Tacoma Gallery
love my m/t
Old 12-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
You can check my fuelly badge in my sig to get an idea of the mileage of DC 4x4 6MT.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #9
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
I have both...I like both....I like the auto for the freeway mpgs but hate it on any hill-type situation. In the city, I don't have a preference. Sometimes in traffic, I get tired of shifting but that's pretty rare. I kind of lean to the 6-speed I guess. I don't seem to have the problems (or yet) that others have. The M/T feels a little more "trucky" to me...j.m.o

In sig pic, silver truck is my 2005/ 6 speed. Black truck is my 2007/Auto.

With both trucks, I average around 300 miles per tank; one with 35's, one with 33's...so take it for what it's worth.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
precoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: corey
precoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
It has a miss.....
LMAO
Old 12-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #11
K2ufl is on a distinguished road
K2ufl's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info! I'm gonna go with the auto then.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #12
Dsmooth87 has a spectacular aura aboutDsmooth87 has a spectacular aura about
Law Enforcement:
Dsmooth87's Tacoma Gallery
manual

i just bought the manual version of this truck. I like it... im sure if i would have bought the auto i would be thinkin i should of bought the manual an visa versa... bottom line if u dont plan on towing and if mpg is important to you i would get the auto.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:02 PM   #13
Dsmooth87 has a spectacular aura aboutDsmooth87 has a spectacular aura about
Law Enforcement:
Dsmooth87's Tacoma Gallery
re

an ive seen as high as 18mpg and average 16.5- 17mpg. odo=4000 miles
Old 12-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #14
crawldad is a jewel in the roughcrawldad is a jewel in the roughcrawldad is a jewel in the roughcrawldad is a jewel in the rough

crawldad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmooth87 View Post
an ive seen as high as 18mpg and average 16.5- 17mpg. odo=4000 miles
Is your truck lifted?
I'm looking at the 2012's and thinking of getting a manual. It's the only way I can afford a TRD offroad. When test driving one I liked it but noticed the revs seem high on the freeway. I was hoping some 255/85/16's might help that. Anyone else have any input on the 6speed?
Old 12-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #15
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawldad View Post
Is your truck lifted?
I'm looking at the 2012's and thinking of getting a manual. It's the only way I can afford a TRD offroad. When test driving one I liked it but noticed the revs seem high on the freeway. I was hoping some 255/85/16's might help that. Anyone else have any input on the 6speed?
Don't get it and if you are going to upgrade the truck, skip the offroad package.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #16
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
6 speed is great aside from the mileage. makes the truck a blast to drive. when i test drove the auto i hated it. hated how it searched for gears and the long delay between the gear change reminded me of an auto civic or small car.

personal preference.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #17
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
6 speed is great aside from the mileage. makes the truck a blast to drive. when i test drove the auto i hated it. hated how it searched for gears and the long delay between the gear change reminded me of an auto civic or small car.

personal preference.
I'm not sure what auto you drove but the Tacoma auto does not search for gears and there is no shift delay. But as you said it is personal preference. I preferred not to have the crappy 6 speed.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #18
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
drove 3 different ones, all v6 and they all did the same thing. hated them.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #19
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Love my auto. Drove a 5spd Civic and 5spd F-150 prior to the Taco, wanted a 6spd but couldn't find one, have no regrets with the Auto whatsoever
Old 12-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #20
Banned
The autos have what is called a locking torque convertor. When you drive it will sometimes unlock and lock depending on throttle input and terrain. Also the system learns your driving habits so of course it will seem crappy to you at first since it is relying on the stock shift pattern.