1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Compass Fuse

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by isusww, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Nov 17, 2008 at 3:16 PM
    isusww

isusww [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've looked in the owners manual, service manual and the forum and can't find what fuse controls the compass and temp. display. Can someone please help me?! I feel like and idiot!:frusty:

2. Nov 17, 2008 at 3:49 PM
    BeefTaco

BeefTaco WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST

Member:
    Santa Cruz County Ca.
    Toyota calls it an Accessory Meter the ewd shows the power source to the 10 amp IG1 NO.2 fuse.
    Here is a linK: the service manuals are on the bottom.

Also you may have this problem with broken solder on a resistor here is the link to the fix.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/18497-overhead-console-fix.html

3. Nov 17, 2008 at 8:23 PM
    isusww

isusww [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks! It would seem that I'll be doing some soldering :rant:

4. Mar 27, 2014 at 8:30 PM
    RyanAZ

RyanAZ New Member

Member:
    So I am having this same issue in my 2008 Tacoma right now. I checked the fuse and it appears to be fine and the dome lights are working. I took the assembly down expecting to find an issue the the 510 component, solder it and remedy the problem. Both 510s appear to be fine. I have attached a photo below. Any other suggestions?

image.jpg

5. Mar 27, 2014 at 9:12 PM
    thor92

thor92 Member

Member:
    Right Coast
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport SR5
    I've had it happen twice. The first time the solder was completely broken, so I re-soldered it and it was fine for about a year. The second time it happened the solder appeared to be fine. I just added a very small amount of solder to each of them and that fixed it the second time; you may want to try the same. I'd recommend using flux even if the solder supposedly already has it in it.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  6. Mar 27, 2014 at 10:14 PM
    RyanAZ

RyanAZ New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the input. It did look to be fine but added the solder and now it is working! I appreciate the help.

7. Aug 26, 2017 at 3:47 PM
    toyotacoblur

toyotacoblur Active Member

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Sport Long Bed
    i know this is an old thread but i had this issue today, if you don't see the 510 resistor separated you may just have corrosion. I sprayed mine with some electric board cleaner and it was back to working. Make sure you spray in an open area because it smells and is extremely flammable.

8. Aug 26, 2017 at 7:23 PM
    Tex-Tac

Tex-Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma V6 PreRunner SR5 Extended Double Cab Desert Sand Mica
    Installed Overhead Compass and Temperature Display along with outside temperature sensor and wiring; LED lights reverse backup; LED license plate lights; Added GTA Bluetooth Audio kit to stock radio for iphone audio; Spare tire steel braided air hose extension connection to rear bumper; Installed new headlights along with new bulbs PIAA H4 XTreme and for fog lights PIAA H10 XTreme bulbs. Installed new hood with "hood-scoop". Installed Predator Side Steps. Replaced front chrome grill with customized color matched (Desert Sand Mica) grill with added TOYOTA lettering (also in matched color), installed and secured tailgate anti-theft devices. Also installed a new external TPMS monitor for all 4 tires.
    That's a good point but it will be just a matter of time though that the resistor will eventually become loose. So it's good that you at least cleaned off the corrosion but that's a sure sign of the solder becoming weak and deteriorating.

Now that you cleaned it, re-solder both sides of the resistor for a more secure attachment.

9. Aug 26, 2017 at 7:37 PM
    toyotacoblur

toyotacoblur Active Member

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Sport Long Bed
    thats very true, in my happiness of a quick fix that reality was not realized. they must have used some bad solder!

Products Discussed in

To Top