Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

jump starting

Old 12-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
bagster is on a distinguished road
Army: dog handler
bagster's Tacoma Gallery
jump starting

I watched a man in a Tacoma jump start a Ford Ranger yesterday. The taco driver hooked the cables to his battery while the Ranger driver carried the cables back to his vehicle. Before the Ford man hooked to his battery, he rubbed the terminals of the jumper cables together until they sparked. I just wonder what kind of damage this may have caused? I said right then I'll to refuse to jump start anyone.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
I watched a man in a Tacoma jump start a Ford Ranger yesterday. The taco driver hooked the cables to his battery while the Ranger driver carried the cables back to his vehicle. Before the Ford man hooked to his battery, he rubbed the terminals of the jumper cables together until they sparked. I just wonder what kind of damage this may have caused? I said right then I'll to refuse to jump start anyone.
Dude's an idiot first of all.

It could blow some fuses but thats about it.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
I said right then I'll to refuse to jump start anyone.
Don't let that stop you man. Just take control of the scene.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
i hate when people do that. couldn't that damage the battery? running the current back in like that? . . . i always do it by the book. electrical current is something i don't screw around with.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
Don't let that stop you man. Just take control of the scene.
x2, whenever I jump someone, I make then try the starter to show that the battery is in fact the problem and I always hook up the cables to both vehicles just because of idiots like that.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
what? i always hook it to my nipples before hooking it up

ive always learned on the vehicle with good battery neg on neg pos on pos and the vehicle being jumped pos on pos neg on ground to prevent explosion from hydrogen gas i think
Old 12-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post

ive always learned on the vehicle with good battery neg on neg pos on pos and the vehicle being jumped pos on pos neg on ground to prevent explosion from hydrogen gas i think
That's the way I learned also, except the whole hooking it on the nipples thing... You might want to talk to someone about that one
Old 12-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkYBB_N2hjo
Old 12-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post

sometimes i'll hook it up on the bad cars negative terminal. in theory it shouldnt promote a problem since all you're doing is grounding it, right? but i usually find a chunk of the frame and do it.
i always do positive good car, positive bad car, negative good car, chassis (or neg) bad car. . .you get some funny looks walking back and forth so many times, but it's just the safest way.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #11
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
I don't see how you can blow any fuses doing that, the only current is in the jumper cable.

I would never do that, seems pointless, but it seems pretty harmless unless you clamp them together for extended time.