1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Love my new Tacoma, hate the wheels it came with!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by HumboldtReign, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Dec 4, 2011 at 4:45 PM
    HumboldtReign

HumboldtReign [OP] Where the Grass is Green

Member:
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '05 PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    Hey all-

Im a new tacoma owner (would have posted in New Member forum, but i have actual questions!), and so far i love it!

Previously i owned a 1992 Toyota Pick-up 4x4, and had been after a 2nd gen tacoma for a while, and was finally able to snag one!

I bought a 2005 PreRunner TRD Off-Road with ~75k miles on it from a buddy who works at a stealership, but luckily was able to get an employee discount so i think i got a pretty good deal! I was on the fence about the 4wd, but only used 4x4 in my old truck a handful of times, so im hoping this will still work out for what i need it for.

Anyway, ive got some questions for you:

1) I really dislike the aftermarket wheels it came with - 20" shiny chrome wheels, they're just not my flavor. I have been looking at Pro-Comp Series 7032 black 16x8s and some BFG A/Ts to put on it, but the wheels are back-ordered until April :(

So my options are to wait....or....find/do something in the meantime. Ive been looking for used OEM wheels to paint black, but we are still talking ~$300 for the wheels, plus buying tires, plus mounting, etc.

Do you think i could paint the wheels i have on it? I attached a picture for your reference. I have no idea what brand they are, or how they would turn out if i painted them. Thoughts? Or does anyone know of other places besides 4wheelparts that might have the ProComps in stock?

2) It has the rear locker on it, but i honestly dont know when i should use this. Also, im assuming i cant accidently engage the locker when im driving down the road. I went to hit the fog light switch and accidently hit the rear locker instead one night. Im hoping this didnt actuate it or cause damage? So when should i use it?

3) I was messing with the bed rail tie-downs that slide, and one came out. Now i cant figure out how to get it back in. Is there a trick?

Thats all i can think of right now, but im sure i have more! I'd appreciate any help you can lend!

So stoked to be a part of the TW crew! Ive already found A LOT of useful info.

toyotas.jpg
    taco.jpg
    wheel.jpg

2. Dec 4, 2011 at 4:56 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Welcome!

You should be able to sell those shiney dubs for what you could pick up a set of OEM wheels and mostly, if not completely, cover the tires also. Or, to answer your question, they could be painted, just prep, prime and paint.

3. Dec 4, 2011 at 5:15 PM
    HumboldtReign

Member:
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    The tires look almost brand new. I guess id just hate to sell them for used pricing, and then have to dish out more money for stock OEMs and new tires. Plus if i get the Pro Comps in the future, im spending even more money. I doubt i could even get a grand for the package, and the BFG A/Ts run me around $950...

You think i could paint them black, and if i dont like them still be able to sell them on craigslist or something?

4. Dec 4, 2011 at 5:16 PM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
  5. Dec 4, 2011 at 5:17 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Get new wheels.
    Must be in 4lo to engage the locker and even then it takes a bit to get it to lock.
    The spinner in the middle? Push that out against the spring, rotate entire tie down 90*, insert, rotate back to normal orientation. Screw the middle down.

6. Dec 4, 2011 at 5:23 PM
    bgsmith

bgsmith Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Hingham, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Speedway Blue TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ATX Mojaves with 265/75 16 Hankook Dynapro ATMs, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers (front and rear), Bilstein 5100 all around up front set at 1.75", Blacked out badges, Pioneer AVIC D3 DVD/NAV Head Unit, K&N Air Filter, Tyger Tri Fold Tonneau Cover, Rockford Fosgate Punch Speakers.
    Look into some steel wheels from wheelers off road, they are pretty cheap, about $75 each. They are similar to the wheels I have on my truck (see signature).

7. Dec 4, 2011 at 5:24 PM
    HumboldtReign

Member:
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:

4lo? Its not 4wd. Am i missing something?

8. Dec 4, 2011 at 5:36 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Don't mind him, he's Canadian :D

And yes, you could paint them black and sell them if you didn't like them but personally, if you don't like them, I wouldn't waste the time. If the painting goes wrong then you won't be able to sell them for nearly as much. OEM wheels are sold on here for between 2 - 300 for the set of 4. Depending on the size of tires you're looking to get, you can spend $1,000 on tires alone. Personally, I'd look at something else besides BFG A/Ts. They are a great tire but there are a lot of other great options that are more competively priced, many of which will actually out perform the BFG tire.

9. Dec 4, 2011 at 5:54 PM
    HumboldtReign

Member:
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Any suggestions?

10. Dec 4, 2011 at 7:05 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'm partial to Cooper tires, I'm running the AT3 and am very happy with them so far. Other good tires would be the Hankook Dynapros or the General Grabbers.

11. Dec 4, 2011 at 8:21 PM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    Sell those monstrosities. There is someone out there who wants that kind of bling bling for their killamobile - use the proceeds to get something that looks good and is more practical. I think the stock SR5/TRD Off Road wheels look great, and you cant beat the price. If you have the means and can find them, get the 'ol FJ TRD Anthracite wheels - no other wheel looks as good on a Taco IMO.

12. Dec 11, 2011 at 10:35 AM
    HumboldtReign

Member:
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Ended up finding a great deal ($250!) for 4 stock TRD wheels and Rugged Trails in great shape, painted the wheels black and had them mounted!

sooo much happier :D

and another note- after much research on this forum, i managed to convince the dealership to give me a completely NEW clutch for the TSB T/O Bearing fix, free of cost!

i also had no idea that the truck was supposed to come with an overhead compass/temp gauge. i now realize that it is broken and plan to fix it using the sticky link on this forum, as well as do the fog-lights anytime mod. again, so happy to be a part of this website, it rocks!

photo.jpg

13. Dec 11, 2011 at 5:44 PM
    hoss 011

hoss 011 Scoops for everyone

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR
    To answer one of your original questions, Pro Comp owns 4wheelparts or vice versa, so if they don't have them, nobody does. I was looking at the 7032s back in September, when they were supposedly backordered for 3 months. Plenty of other choices out there. I ended up with Method Race 301s in 16x8.

Products Discussed in

To Top