Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Love my new Tacoma, hate the wheels it came with!

Old 12-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
Where the Grass is Green
HumboldtReign is on a distinguished road
HumboldtReign's Tacoma Gallery
Love my new Tacoma, hate the wheels it came with!

Hey all-

Im a new tacoma owner (would have posted in New Member forum, but i have actual questions!), and so far i love it!

Previously i owned a 1992 Toyota Pick-up 4x4, and had been after a 2nd gen tacoma for a while, and was finally able to snag one!

I bought a 2005 PreRunner TRD Off-Road with ~75k miles on it from a buddy who works at a stealership, but luckily was able to get an employee discount so i think i got a pretty good deal! I was on the fence about the 4wd, but only used 4x4 in my old truck a handful of times, so im hoping this will still work out for what i need it for.

Anyway, ive got some questions for you:

1) I really dislike the aftermarket wheels it came with - 20" shiny chrome wheels, they're just not my flavor. I have been looking at Pro-Comp Series 7032 black 16x8s and some BFG A/Ts to put on it, but the wheels are back-ordered until April

So my options are to wait....or....find/do something in the meantime. Ive been looking for used OEM wheels to paint black, but we are still talking ~$300 for the wheels, plus buying tires, plus mounting, etc.

Do you think i could paint the wheels i have on it? I attached a picture for your reference. I have no idea what brand they are, or how they would turn out if i painted them. Thoughts? Or does anyone know of other places besides 4wheelparts that might have the ProComps in stock?

2) It has the rear locker on it, but i honestly dont know when i should use this. Also, im assuming i cant accidently engage the locker when im driving down the road. I went to hit the fog light switch and accidently hit the rear locker instead one night. Im hoping this didnt actuate it or cause damage? So when should i use it?

3) I was messing with the bed rail tie-downs that slide, and one came out. Now i cant figure out how to get it back in. Is there a trick?

Thats all i can think of right now, but im sure i have more! I'd appreciate any help you can lend!

So stoked to be a part of the TW crew! Ive already found A LOT of useful info.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Love my new Tacoma, hate the wheels it came with!-toyotas.jpg   Love my new Tacoma, hate the wheels it came with!-taco.jpg   Love my new Tacoma, hate the wheels it came with!-wheel.jpg  
Old 12-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome!

You should be able to sell those shiney dubs for what you could pick up a set of OEM wheels and mostly, if not completely, cover the tires also. Or, to answer your question, they could be painted, just prep, prime and paint.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
Where the Grass is Green
The tires look almost brand new. I guess id just hate to sell them for used pricing, and then have to dish out more money for stock OEMs and new tires. Plus if i get the Pro Comps in the future, im spending even more money. I doubt i could even get a grand for the package, and the BFG A/Ts run me around $950...

You think i could paint them black, and if i dont like them still be able to sell them on craigslist or something?
Old 12-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!

I would also just sell both tires and wheels that you have now and pick up a set of 16" stock alloys from someone on here on TW and paint them black if you want. They usually go for $200+. Then you can get the BFG AT's. 16" tires will be a lot cheaper than 20's.

Here are stock 16's in black to give you an idea.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...down-2-go.html
Old 12-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Get new wheels.
Must be in 4lo to engage the locker and even then it takes a bit to get it to lock.
The spinner in the middle? Push that out against the spring, rotate entire tie down 90*, insert, rotate back to normal orientation. Screw the middle down.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
bgsmith will become famous soon enough

Name: Brian
bgsmith's Tacoma Gallery
Look into some steel wheels from wheelers off road, they are pretty cheap, about $75 each. They are similar to the wheels I have on my truck (see signature).
Old 12-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
Where the Grass is Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Get new wheels.
Must be in 4lo to engage the locker and even then it takes a bit to get it to lock.
The spinner in the middle? Push that out against the spring, rotate entire tie down 90*, insert, rotate back to normal orientation. Screw the middle down.

4lo? Its not 4wd. Am i missing something?
Old 12-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtReign View Post
4lo? Its not 4wd. Am i missing something?
Don't mind him, he's Canadian

And yes, you could paint them black and sell them if you didn't like them but personally, if you don't like them, I wouldn't waste the time. If the painting goes wrong then you won't be able to sell them for nearly as much. OEM wheels are sold on here for between 2 - 300 for the set of 4. Depending on the size of tires you're looking to get, you can spend $1,000 on tires alone. Personally, I'd look at something else besides BFG A/Ts. They are a great tire but there are a lot of other great options that are more competively priced, many of which will actually out perform the BFG tire.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #9
Where the Grass is Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I'd look at something else besides BFG A/Ts. They are a great tire but there are a lot of other great options that are more competively priced, many of which will actually out perform the BFG tire.
Any suggestions?
Old 12-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #10

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'm partial to Cooper tires, I'm running the AT3 and am very happy with them so far. Other good tires would be the Hankook Dynapros or the General Grabbers.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #11
Professional Goofball
zul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to behold
zul's Tacoma Gallery
Sell those monstrosities. There is someone out there who wants that kind of bling bling for their killamobile - use the proceeds to get something that looks good and is more practical. I think the stock SR5/TRD Off Road wheels look great, and you cant beat the price. If you have the means and can find them, get the 'ol FJ TRD Anthracite wheels - no other wheel looks as good on a Taco IMO.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #12
Where the Grass is Green
FIXED!

Ended up finding a great deal ($250!) for 4 stock TRD wheels and Rugged Trails in great shape, painted the wheels black and had them mounted!

sooo much happier

and another note- after much research on this forum, i managed to convince the dealership to give me a completely NEW clutch for the TSB T/O Bearing fix, free of cost!

i also had no idea that the truck was supposed to come with an overhead compass/temp gauge. i now realize that it is broken and plan to fix it using the sticky link on this forum, as well as do the fog-lights anytime mod. again, so happy to be a part of this website, it rocks!
Attached Thumbnails
Love my new Tacoma, hate the wheels it came with!-photo.jpg  
Old 12-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #13
Scoops for everyone
hoss 011 is on a distinguished road

hoss 011's Tacoma Gallery
To answer one of your original questions, Pro Comp owns 4wheelparts or vice versa, so if they don't have them, nobody does. I was looking at the 7032s back in September, when they were supposedly backordered for 3 months. Plenty of other choices out there. I ended up with Method Race 301s in 16x8.