1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lining a Fiberglass Shell - WWYD?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by edevart, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Jun 28, 2007 at 12:47 PM
    edevart

edevart [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi All,

I am a new member here. I just bought a 2007 Tacoma Access Cab TRD Off Road and I love the thing. To top it off I bought a SnugTop SnugPro shell with side access doors. It is almost my dream truck, except for one thing. When I ordered the shell, the salesman (Campways) told me that a carpet headliner was standard, yet when the shell arrived there was no headliner, just raw fiberglass throughout. They pointed out that the work order I signed does not include a carpet lining, despite my insistence that I didn't look for it on the work order b/c the salesman mentioned to me that it was standard. Now they want to charge me around 300 bucks to send the shell back to SnugTop so that the liner can be installed.

My question is: Does anybody know of a company that installs carpet liners in shells (not floor carpets, but the wall and ceiling carpeting)? Or is this something that I am just going to have to suck up and send back to SnugTop? Do I have any other options for covering fiberglass (my main concern is the raw fiberglass splintering off when loading/unloading the bed, or when rubbing up against it.)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It sucks to pay upwards of 2K for a nice shell and still not get the shell I wanted.

Ed.

2. Jun 28, 2007 at 3:17 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    Tell them to keep the shell. Cancel the check or dispute the charge and go some where else.
    There are lots of snug top dealers. Maybe they will eat the price rather than have the inventory.

3. Jun 28, 2007 at 3:39 PM
    edevart

edevart [OP] New Member

Member:
    Spp,

The problem is that the shell is installed and on my truck, not to mention the fact that they have a work order, signed by me, that calls for a shell sans liner. The f-ed up part about it is that the salesperson messed up and forgot to include the liner in the work order and I didn't pay attention when I signed it. It looks like I'm screwed on this one. Or do you think I can still take the shell back?

Ed.

4. Jun 28, 2007 at 4:13 PM
    Route66Taco

Route66Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rolla, MO
    Vehicle:
    Silver Tacoma
    Tell them you intend to contact SnugTop and let them know about your unsatisfactory experience. Let them know your saleperson told you what you wanted to hear to make the sale.
    If there is a decent manager on shift they should at least want to help some way to keep you from doing so. Partial discout on liner and labor. Don't hope for all of it. You did screw up some by not reading before signing.
    Be sure and pick up all business cards from parties involved, including management.
    I'm in sales and I've had this happen. I took my medicine from my customer and from management. The customer was happy in the end and that's all that matters.
    If anything you can go back and call the saleperson a spineless bastard for not owning up to what he has done.
    Remember this. When you walk in that place you are the coolest MF there.

5. Jun 28, 2007 at 4:45 PM
    edevart

edevart [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the replies.

I will go in there tomorrow and do just that. I'll post more when I get some response from them.

Thanks,

ed

6. Jun 28, 2007 at 5:32 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    or what i did when i had a flat, low-profile tonneau on my s-10, was grab a can of 3m spray adhiesive and a roll of all weather carpet that matched my bedrug. it never peeled or babbled anywhere in 2 years...and a year of that was in hot ass texas

7. Jun 29, 2007 at 7:25 AM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    Yep. You shouldn't have accepted it. Now you have no leaverage.

8. Jun 29, 2007 at 1:45 PM
    pb2themax

pb2themax Mod Master

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Dude, you got really screwed. My SnugTop SuperSport is lined, and it looks really nice. I got it new for $800 from a Toyota dealership. It came as an option on one of their Tacomas, but the buyer of the truck didn't want the shell, so they took it off and sold it to me.

Ya never should have had it put on until you checked it out first. Live and learn

9. Jun 29, 2007 at 5:44 PM
    stackyochips26

stackyochips26 Member

Member:
    although i'm not big on shells, if it was me i would just get some good all weather carpet and install it myself, then again i install carpet for my summer job, and have cheap carpet and special glue readily available =/

10. May 28, 2013 at 1:58 PM
    yeslekoma

yeslekoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelsey
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    MGM Prerunner
    camper shell with yakima rack, derped badges and grille emblem, new car scent air freshener, too many to list obviously...
    I have the same problem with a shell I bought of craigslist (no carpet). I have been thinking about using some sort of paint or sealant. I would be open to installing carpet, but I lack the experience of working with fabrics and the $ required. My goal is basically to keep fiberglass shards off my gear and still be able to put down a mattress and without suffocating from paint fumes. Has anyone done anything like this or have any advice? Thanks!

11. May 28, 2013 at 3:28 PM
    monkeyface

monkeyface Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '90,'97,'12,'05 Tundra 4.7,'07 T4R 4.7,'08 T4R 4.7
    Take it to an upholstery shop.

12. May 29, 2013 at 12:09 PM
    LizellaFella

LizellaFella Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Reno Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Mine was a craigslist find that came uncarpeted. After disassembly and a repaint of the outside, I sanded the interior and painted with rustoleum gloss white enamel paint from Lowes. I would have rather carpeted it, but there are just too many compound curves to deal with. The paint worked out well for my uses.

13. May 29, 2013 at 12:12 PM
    Cypherian

Cypherian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Atlantic Region
    Nothing to see here move along..

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  14. May 29, 2013 at 12:13 PM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    I have no liner in mine and have no problems...what is the advantage to lining the interior with carpet? Insulation?

15. May 29, 2013 at 12:14 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    and no condensation

16. May 29, 2013 at 12:15 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    all, please note this thread is almost 6 years old, if going to refer to the OP :D

17. May 29, 2013 at 12:18 PM
    nomad_archer

nomad_archer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Brickerville (Lititz), PA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Tacoma V6 SR5
    I have the liner on my leer and the just collects dirt and other stuff from everything I haul. I dont spend much time back there. The raw fiberglass wont splinter like you are worried about. The liner on mine was a free as a special when I got the cap. See what they can do for you but I will say you may be happy without it.

18. May 30, 2013 at 7:40 AM
    yeslekoma

yeslekoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelsey
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    MGM Prerunner
    camper shell with yakima rack, derped badges and grille emblem, new car scent air freshener, too many to list obviously...
    Ill try to get it priced and if its too high I might just sand and paint. Thanks:cheers:

19. May 30, 2013 at 7:52 AM
    Specalt

Specalt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD 4x4
    Wow holly post from beyond the grave.

For any one that come across this. There is a lining type material called Flock.

Flock is a spray in fiber material that feels like carpet or fine leather. will cover compound curves. This stuff is great. Here is a dash done in it.

[​IMG]

I think this would work well on the inside of a shell/cap or bed cover

FrozenTaco likes this.
  20. May 30, 2013 at 9:08 AM
    TanaTaco

TanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad 4x4
    OME complete kit with dakars, LR UCAs, Seat covers, weathertechs, anytime foglight mod, ABS kill switch, locker anytime mod, powered sub, halos, leer topper, aux/ipod hookup.
    Wow that stuff is sweet! Any idea on the pricing for something like that?

Products Discussed in

To Top