Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lining a Fiberglass Shell - WWYD?

Old 06-28-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
edevart is on a distinguished road
edevart's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Lining a Fiberglass Shell - WWYD?

Hi All,

I am a new member here. I just bought a 2007 Tacoma Access Cab TRD Off Road and I love the thing. To top it off I bought a SnugTop SnugPro shell with side access doors. It is almost my dream truck, except for one thing. When I ordered the shell, the salesman (Campways) told me that a carpet headliner was standard, yet when the shell arrived there was no headliner, just raw fiberglass throughout. They pointed out that the work order I signed does not include a carpet lining, despite my insistence that I didn't look for it on the work order b/c the salesman mentioned to me that it was standard. Now they want to charge me around 300 bucks to send the shell back to SnugTop so that the liner can be installed.

My question is: Does anybody know of a company that installs carpet liners in shells (not floor carpets, but the wall and ceiling carpeting)? Or is this something that I am just going to have to suck up and send back to SnugTop? Do I have any other options for covering fiberglass (my main concern is the raw fiberglass splintering off when loading/unloading the bed, or when rubbing up against it.)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It sucks to pay upwards of 2K for a nice shell and still not get the shell I wanted.

Ed.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by edevart View Post
Hi All,

I am a new member here. I just bought a 2007 Tacoma Access Cab TRD Off Road and I love the thing. To top it off I bought a SnugTop SnugPro shell with side access doors. It is almost my dream truck, except for one thing. When I ordered the shell, the salesman (Campways) told me that a carpet headliner was standard, yet when the shell arrived there was no headliner, just raw fiberglass throughout. They pointed out that the work order I signed does not include a carpet lining, despite my insistence that I didn't look for it on the work order b/c the salesman mentioned to me that it was standard. Now they want to charge me around 300 bucks to send the shell back to SnugTop so that the liner can be installed.

My question is: Does anybody know of a company that installs carpet liners in shells (not floor carpets, but the wall and ceiling carpeting)? Or is this something that I am just going to have to suck up and send back to SnugTop? Do I have any other options for covering fiberglass (my main concern is the raw fiberglass splintering off when loading/unloading the bed, or when rubbing up against it.)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It sucks to pay upwards of 2K for a nice shell and still not get the shell I wanted.

Ed.
Tell them to keep the shell. Cancel the check or dispute the charge and go some where else.
There are lots of snug top dealers. Maybe they will eat the price rather than have the inventory.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
edevart's Tacoma Gallery
Spp,

The problem is that the shell is installed and on my truck, not to mention the fact that they have a work order, signed by me, that calls for a shell sans liner. The f-ed up part about it is that the salesperson messed up and forgot to include the liner in the work order and I didn't pay attention when I signed it. It looks like I'm screwed on this one. Or do you think I can still take the shell back?

Ed.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
Route66Taco will become famous soon enoughRoute66Taco will become famous soon enough

Route66Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Tell them you intend to contact SnugTop and let them know about your unsatisfactory experience. Let them know your saleperson told you what you wanted to hear to make the sale.
If there is a decent manager on shift they should at least want to help some way to keep you from doing so. Partial discout on liner and labor. Don't hope for all of it. You did screw up some by not reading before signing.
Be sure and pick up all business cards from parties involved, including management.
I'm in sales and I've had this happen. I took my medicine from my customer and from management. The customer was happy in the end and that's all that matters.
If anything you can go back and call the saleperson a spineless bastard for not owning up to what he has done.
Remember this. When you walk in that place you are the coolest MF there.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
edevart's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies.

I will go in there tomorrow and do just that. I'll post more when I get some response from them.

Thanks,

ed
Old 06-28-2007, 05:32 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
or what i did when i had a flat, low-profile tonneau on my s-10, was grab a can of 3m spray adhiesive and a roll of all weather carpet that matched my bedrug. it never peeled or babbled anywhere in 2 years...and a year of that was in hot ass texas
Old 06-29-2007, 07:25 AM   #7
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Yep. You shouldn't have accepted it. Now you have no leaverage.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, you got really screwed. My SnugTop SuperSport is lined, and it looks really nice. I got it new for $800 from a Toyota dealership. It came as an option on one of their Tacomas, but the buyer of the truck didn't want the shell, so they took it off and sold it to me.

Ya never should have had it put on until you checked it out first. Live and learn
Old 06-29-2007, 05:44 PM   #9
stackyochips26 is on a distinguished road

stackyochips26's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stackyochips26
although i'm not big on shells, if it was me i would just get some good all weather carpet and install it myself, then again i install carpet for my summer job, and have cheap carpet and special glue readily available =/
Old 05-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
yeslekoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Kelsey
yeslekoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same problem with a shell I bought of craigslist (no carpet). I have been thinking about using some sort of paint or sealant. I would be open to installing carpet, but I lack the experience of working with fabrics and the $ required. My goal is basically to keep fiberglass shards off my gear and still be able to put down a mattress and without suffocating from paint fumes. Has anyone done anything like this or have any advice? Thanks!
Old 05-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeslekoma View Post
I have the same problem with a shell I bought of craigslist (no carpet). I have been thinking about using some sort of paint or sealant. I would be open to installing carpet, but I lack the experience of working with fabrics and the $ required. My goal is basically to keep fiberglass shards off my gear and still be able to put down a mattress and without suffocating from paint fumes. Has anyone done anything like this or have any advice? Thanks!
Take it to an upholstery shop.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #12
LizellaFella has a spectacular aura aboutLizellaFella has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: AF Civil Service, Marines and US Army Reserve/DA
Name: Eddie
LizellaFella's Tacoma Gallery
Mine was a craigslist find that came uncarpeted. After disassembly and a repaint of the outside, I sanded the interior and painted with rustoleum gloss white enamel paint from Lowes. I would have rather carpeted it, but there are just too many compound curves to deal with. The paint worked out well for my uses.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing to see here move along..
Old 05-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #14
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
I have no liner in mine and have no problems...what is the advantage to lining the interior with carpet? Insulation?
Old 05-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #15
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
I have no liner in mine and have no problems...what is the advantage to lining the interior with carpet? Insulation?
and no condensation
Old 05-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #16
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
all, please note this thread is almost 6 years old, if going to refer to the OP
Old 05-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #17
nomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to behold
Name: Trevor
nomad_archer's Tacoma Gallery
I have the liner on my leer and the just collects dirt and other stuff from everything I haul. I dont spend much time back there. The raw fiberglass wont splinter like you are worried about. The liner on mine was a free as a special when I got the cap. See what they can do for you but I will say you may be happy without it.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #18
yeslekoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Kelsey
yeslekoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyface View Post
Take it to an upholstery shop.
Ill try to get it priced and if its too high I might just sand and paint. Thanks
Old 05-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #19
Specalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Specalt's Tacoma Gallery
Wow holly post from beyond the grave.

For any one that come across this. There is a lining type material called Flock.

Flock is a spray in fiber material that feels like carpet or fine leather. will cover compound curves. This stuff is great. Here is a dash done in it.

I think this would work well on the inside of a shell/cap or bed cover
Old 05-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #20
TanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to all

Name: James
TanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specalt View Post
Wow holly post from beyond the grave.

For any one that come across this. There is a lining type material called Flock.

Flock is a spray in fiber material that feels like carpet or fine leather. will cover compound curves. This stuff is great. Here is a dash done in it.

I think this would work well on the inside of a shell/cap or bed cover
Wow that stuff is sweet! Any idea on the pricing for something like that?