LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD exhaust/Resonator question

Old 12-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
SPORT55 is on a distinguished road

SPORT55's Tacoma Gallery
TRD exhaust/Resonator question

HI gotta question, does anyone know the piping size for The TRD exhaust that's on my 2011 TRD sport ? I am also thinking about adding a resonator to the exhaust to dampen the noise in the cabin and I was told that on the 2010's and up that adding a Resonator will throw a check engine light due to the change in catlic converters they did in 2010..any one have any knowledge on this ? Also can anyone recommend a good Resonator to use.... Thanks for your help...
Old 12-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. C
Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
If you want to go quiet then why not just sell the TRD and trade someone for a stock exhaust?
Old 12-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #3

SPORT55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
If you want to go quiet then why not just sell the TRD and trade someone for a stock exhaust?
I actually have the stock exhaust as well, but love the sound outside the truck and look of the TRD...the cabin is not bad at all but would like to lower it a bit for my wife...it is a bit noisy between 1500-3000 rpm's...
Old 12-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Lowering it inside will make it quiet outside as well.. IDK man, I'd tell your wife to just deal with it and then turn up the radio to drown out her bitching after you tell her that.

I have the TRD and its very quiet compared to others like choke master.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
I cant imagine that a resonator down stream of the cats will cause a CEL. There is just no reason for that to occur. Adding a resonator is going to change the sound that you enjoy listening to. It doesnt really make sense to me. I'd almost rather see you add some sound deadening material, although that will probably wind up being more costly.
I've consistently heard good reviews on aero turbine. They make the AR resonator in sizes 2, 2.5 and 3 and are named accordingly (AR20, AR25, etc)
Old 12-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #6

SPORT55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
Lowering it inside will make it quiet outside as well.. IDK man, I'd tell your wife to just deal with it and then turn up the radio to drown out her bitching after you tell her that.

I have the TRD and its very quiet compared to others like choke master.
HA ha ... Don't know if that will go over well... My wife just doesn't get performance upgrades to a vehicle. Should of seen her when I had my shelby, LOL....
Old 12-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Maybe try a K&N intake.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Adding a resonator wont hurt anything, other than change the sound, and make it more quiet. The pipe size is 2.5"
Old 12-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #9

SPORT55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
I cant imagine that a resonator down stream of the cats will cause a CEL. There is just no reason for that to occur. Adding a resonator is going to change the sound that you enjoy listening to. It doesnt really make sense to me. I'd almost rather see you add some sound deadening material, although that will probably wind up being more costly.
I've consistently heard good reviews on aero turbine. They make the AR resonator in sizes 2, 2.5 and 3 and are named accordingly (AR20, AR25, etc)
Thanks for your imput , I will look into the AR... I hear good things about the flowmaster resonator as well. .. but if it lowers me to much back to stock then I just don't know if I'll do it....
Old 12-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #10

SPORT55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Maybe try a K&N intake.
LOL....some things never die... I knew you would be joining this thread...go easy on me this time killer....LOL
Old 12-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #11

SPORT55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Adding a resonator wont hurt anything, other than change the sound, and make it more quiet. The pipe size is 2.5"
DO you feel it is going to make it to much like stock doing this ? The sound that Is...
Old 12-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #13
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORT55 View Post
DO you feel it is going to make it to much like stock doing this ? The sound that Is...
I havent tried a resonator on the TRD exhaust, but I think it would make it close to stock.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
08speedway is on a distinguished road
08speedway's Tacoma Gallery
I installed a huge cherrybomb glasspack just after the connection to the y pipe on my truck and the sound is perfect, you know its there when accelerating but barely hear it at all on the highway. Has almost no drone at all, and no check engine light. I have a dynomax exhaust and it droned very bad without the glasspack, I imagine the TRD exhaust will be the same. And as a bonus the glasspacks are cheap and available in different lengths, a shorter one will be louder.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #15
That one guy

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I took the resonator off my exhaust on my Type-R and it made a huge difference in how much sound came out of it. I'd assume you'd be close to stock sounding unless you were really stepping on the gas.

I'm so thankful that I never have to have the conversation about buying parts with my wife. Every time I say I want to buy something for my truck I hear 'and what are you getting me for my car then?".. gotta love female gear-heads!
Old 12-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #16

SPORT55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIYota View Post
What about using dynamat for the inside?
Seems like more of a pain then anything to do this, plus I have read people doing this with not good results...but yes it has crossed my mind.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #17

SPORT55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08speedway View Post
I installed a huge cherrybomb glasspack just after the connection to the y pipe on my truck and the sound is perfect, you know its there when accelerating but barely hear it at all on the highway. Has almost no drone at all, and no check engine light. I have a dynomax exhaust and it droned very bad without the glasspack, I imagine the TRD exhaust will be the same. And as a bonus the glasspacks are cheap and available in different lengths, a shorter one will be louder.
I've talked to the guy at flow master and the one he advised me on was the 12 inch one and said it will not be a drastic change but it would definately help with unwanted cabin noise...
Old 12-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #18
08speedway is on a distinguished road
08speedway's Tacoma Gallery
mine still sounds good outside, but almost no drone, i was very impressed. i am pretty sure my glasspack is even longer than that, it is huge!!
Old 12-08-2011, 07:06 AM   #19
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08speedway View Post
mine still sounds good outside, but almost no drone, i was very impressed. i am pretty sure my glasspack is even longer than that, it is huge!!
Only problem with the glasspack is that if it is truely a fiber-glasspack, then the material breaks down over a few years and will need to be replaced. If it is a stainless steel glasspack (like Magnaflow) then you should be good.

If the OP is going to go this route, might want to use a Magnaflow round, or go with a true resonator.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:29 AM   #20

SPORT55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
Only problem with the glasspack is that if it is truely a fiber-glasspack, then the material breaks down over a few years and will need to be replaced. If it is a stainless steel glasspack (like Magnaflow) then you should be good.

If the OP is going to go this route, might want to use a Magnaflow round, or go with a true resonator.
PRobably not going to go the resonator route anymore, kinda talked my self out of it....but just curious what is a magnaflow round?

Products Discussed in this Thread