Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD skid plate

Old 12-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Drive it like a 4WD
Gabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Gabassman's Tacoma Gallery
TRD skid plate

It just came to my attention that neither mine or my parents trd off road tacomas have the silver skid plate that come out in front of the valence. Mine was bought used and theirs was new. Why dont we have them if we have the TRD off road? My truck is understandable as seeing someone could have taken off before i got it, but theirs has had one owner.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
It is an accessory. Don't sweat it though since snow will probably bend it.

live via
Old 12-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
Drive it like a 4WD
Gabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Its no big deal just wondering why neither had it seeing as its part of the package. oh LOL on the snow part if we get snow that high Hell has seriously froze over. the most snow we get is like maybe 4 inches and its really ice.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
Drive it like a 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcharias View Post
'tis true. I asked the dealer the same thing the night I bought mine. Sadly only an accessory. You DO have a skid plate, though. Mine is scraped/bent/rusted from mild off-roading. Switch it out asap.
yea i know just kept seeing the secondary ones and wanted to know why ours didnt.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
No snow huh? Ok. Driving the speed limit will bend it.

live via
Old 12-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
Drive it like a 4WD

haha so apparently there not worth your time or money
Old 12-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #8
Banned
Nope.

live via
Old 12-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #9
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
It's not part of the TRD packages, only after sales. It sucks though, is useless, and will cause more damage than prevent any if you actually use it as a skid. Do yourself a favor and spend the couple of extra bucks on a real skid like AllPro or any of the other vendors... they actually do protect stuff. I beat the living piss out of mine hard, and it has held up well.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #10
Drive it like a 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
It's not part of the TRD packages, only after sales. It sucks though, is useless, and will cause more damage than prevent any if you actually use it as a skid. Do yourself a favor and spend the couple of extra bucks on a real skid like AllPro or any of the other vendors... they actually do protect stuff. I beat the living piss out of mine hard, and it has held up well.

looks like it. what do they usually run price wise?
Old 12-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #11
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

$270 ish without a group buy price or such.

https://www.allprooffroad.com/05taco...5tacomaifsskid

Look around at the other vendors too you might be able to do better. Most all the armor on my truck is AllPro and it's served me well so I can vouch it... haven't personally ran other stuff so I can't say (other than Avid Off-Road for my sliders, awesome work, and Boztec for my rear diff skid, again amazing work).
Old 12-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #13
Iron Beard

ATO's stuff looks legit too. I do like the t-case skid ATO does, then again having to re-route the exhaust is kind of a pain... but I will say I do get hung up on mine quite a bit with the low drop
Old 12-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #15
Iron Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcharias View Post
Yeah, just got mine re-routed for $150 - bit on the pricey side, but they did a good job. Mine was a bit scratched...
Mine's flat haha... I kind of... waited longer than I should have for that skid plate lol. Sall good though, just exhaust.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #16
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
The TRD Skid is a flimsy show no go skid plate that actually covers the true OEM skids that are there. The OEM skids are not the best but they do their job for mild wheeling.

Your best bet for skid protection is Bud Built!

I would not worry about the lack of the TRD skid as it was a $270 worthless accessory on my 2005 Tacoma when I had it.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #17
Drive it like a 4WD

Thanks for all the input yall. Got to love the "accessories" that make it look like its useful.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #18
Iron Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabassman View Post
Thanks for all the input yall. Got to love the "accessories" that make it look like its useful.
lol there's a lot of them. The TRD Supercharger is useful though :P
Old 12-09-2011, 11:28 PM   #19
Drive it like a 4WD

9-13 cup bottle holders lol all the chrome