1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headache Rack + Bestop?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dj0rk, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Dec 9, 2011 at 11:29 PM
    Dj0rk

Dj0rk [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Lifted indigo
    Since my Taco is used as my DD, and I carry a backpack with my laptop I'm thinking I need a headache rack with a hook to hold it. Now that isn't the issue, I also want to have a Bestop canopy for when I go camping (Both for the wife and I's air bed,but hauling). Can both live together? I don't like shells as I would have to open the hatch to get the backpack out (I'm way lazy) but I also want better strapping to the front of the bed (To haul the bike and other crap). Any ideas?

2. Dec 9, 2011 at 11:35 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    You're gonna haul your backpack outside the truck ? Am I misunderstanding ?

3. Dec 9, 2011 at 11:36 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    im a little curious... headache rack for a backpack/laptop?

Since the bestop mounts in pretty close to the inside edge of the bed rails, I think a custom fabbed rack can probably be made to fit with the bestop. I think it would be something that the truck with the bestop would be needed for design purposes on the rack dimensions.

4. Dec 10, 2011 at 8:48 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I can't wrap my head around needing a headache rack to carry a backpack with a laptop in it.

5. Dec 10, 2011 at 8:50 AM
    4x4jeep

4x4jeep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Destin FL.
  6. Dec 10, 2011 at 10:37 AM
    Dj0rk

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Lifted indigo
    I live really close to work, but I also drop my Son off at school. Usually if he's not with me I just throw the backpack on his car seat. If he is with me I throw it in the bed. And sometimes, when I drive like a jackass, the backpack ends up in the middle if the bed. So if I had a dedicated place to hang it it wouldn't move. Plus, with the rack I could also put my chainsaw, shovel or anything else I wanted without taking up too much space. The bestop would be used for hauling stuff that can't be getting wet. Usually my wife's thrift store finds or luggage during road trips.

7. Dec 10, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    i assume you have a regular cab? cant it fit behind the seat or in the floor infront of the passenger seat? or hang it off the headrest behind the seat

8. Dec 10, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    Dj0rk

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Lifted indigo
    Double Cab.

This isn't so much about the backpack (other than having a handy place to hang it) but more about the fit of a headache rack + Bestop.

9. Dec 10, 2011 at 6:28 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    OK well if you really want a rack to fit with the bestop, I'm sure I could make something and I'm right in reno/sparks... :cool:

10. Dec 10, 2011 at 6:48 PM
    Dj0rk

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Lifted indigo
    Trust me, you were on the short list of people to talk to about the fabrication. Just need to figure out size and style I want first.

11. Dec 11, 2011 at 1:32 AM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    Wait wait. Lets go back. Why cant you just throw the backpack on one of the other seats? You'd rather hang it on top of your truck? This is making my head hurt...

12. Dec 11, 2011 at 3:14 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
  13. Dec 11, 2011 at 9:02 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    You will not be able to hang anything from a head ache rack and have the bestop up at the same time.

14. Dec 11, 2011 at 9:58 PM
    Dj0rk

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Lifted indigo
    I could, but when my Son is in the truck I have to put it on the passenger seat. Which I don't really like since I either have to pull it across the console, or walk around. I wouldn't hang it on the top, just inside the bed and above the bed floor.

I would rather provide too much detail than not enough! How many questions have been asked with info such as "Well when I turn it a little bit to the right or left it makes kind of a noise..." at least everyone KNOWS why I want it.

And? :D

Fair enough. But from what I've gathered (between digs at my backpack) has been a resounding "Yes, they'll both fit with some tinkering. But you're still :der: "

So I guess my question has been answered!

15. Dec 12, 2011 at 9:00 AM
    petyanca

petyanca Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4cyl 4x4 5spd
    May be you just can wear the backpack when you are in the truck. This way you don't have to think where to put it before you get in, and don't have to search for it when you get out. What kind of laptop do you carry in the backpack ?

16. Dec 12, 2011 at 9:03 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Yes, they will both fit but you will not be able to hang anything other than a flat object from the headache rack. The Bestop is really close to the back of the cab without a headache rack.

17. Dec 12, 2011 at 9:07 AM
    Dj0rk

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Lifted indigo
    I thought about that...Was going to remove the back of the drivers seat so it doesn't get in the way too. But then I figured my son would be able to hide the crappy lunches my wife gives him. And if he won't eat it, I won't eat it. So that plan was out. I carry a MacBook Air so really the headache rack could be made out of twigs and cardboard to do the job. But then I think the wife would leave me. Although...THAT would take care of the crappy lunch situation!

If I wear the backpack while driving, am I also required to wear a matching helmet? If so I'll have to use my daughter's pink Hello Kitty bag as the only helmet I could use is pink. Safety laws and all.

18. Dec 12, 2011 at 9:09 AM
    gooch14

gooch14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2011 Blk DC Taco SR5 4x LB
    Bestop, Child Seats, petrified french fry, dog hair, empty Mtn Dew cans cracked windshield, scratches.
    I'm still curious if the rack would be utilized for the backpack while the Supertop was up. My supertop, well any cap really, is a pain for getting stuff all the way to the front, meaning will the headache rack be under cover of supertop or sandwiched between?

If it is to be sammied, do you drive with/plan to drive with your supertop down more than up? I think I've put 10 miles on my truck with my Supertop folded. Usually if it's on the truck it's up simply because it's bulky and cumberson folded down, unless I'm folding mine wrong.

My suggestion is the bed extender and a supertop. I use my extender for a particition near the gate more than anything. Work gear, gallons of milk, kid crap, whatever stays right near the tail gate and it hidden from site and kept dry under the top.

Just my .02 and not trying to discourage you from fabbing up a slick rack.

19. Dec 12, 2011 at 9:15 AM
    petyanca

petyanca Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4cyl 4x4 5spd
    Put a lock on the zipper - your son won't be able to open it. Problem solved. But then not having a back of the seat is probably illegal, so what you can do - rip a hole in the back for the backpack to fit, shouldn't be hard since its a macbook. And if you keep laptop running it will be like a heated seat. Wearing a helmet is an overkill imho.

20. Dec 12, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    Dj0rk

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Lifted indigo
    No, the rack would only be used when it is down/off.

The top would really only be used on long trips (visiting family in Washington, Wyoming or Texas), camping or hauling things that can't get wet. Although it doesn't rain/snow that much here there are times when it does.

I've thought about the bed extender, but if I went that route I'd just get a soft bed cover which would remove some of my useable hight. Still thinking through how I want it to look, but once I get some type of an idea I'll throw it into Google Sketchup and see where it goes. Thanks for the ideas.

Good point! Although he did just figure out how to open the wife and I's bedroom door even with the child lock thing on it. Let the emotional scaring begin! The MacBook shuts itself off when you close the lid and pull power, plus it doesn't put off enough heat to even warm your hands by, so that wouldn't work. Guess I'll just go back to strapping the helmet on the kid then.

Products Discussed in

To Top