1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Few Quirks with 2012 Taco, have you experienced these (hard start, steering wheel..)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomajamie, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Jan 19, 2012 at 7:33 AM
    Buff

Buff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Buff
    NEPA
    Vehicle:
    V6 TRD Sport 4x4
    Removed the damn stickers!
    Yeah! How 'bout it?

2. Jan 19, 2012 at 7:47 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Oh MAN! Thats still going on with the new trucks? I had this on my 06. No body at the dealer could hear the noise. Drove me insane. They said because I heard it they would replace it. Within 6 months it came back.

Almost forgot I have the slow starting when it is cold.

3. Jan 19, 2012 at 7:54 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Is it kind of a squishy sound? Like air bubbles in a water line? Thats what I get when the engine is cold and I start driving.

4. Jan 19, 2012 at 8:10 AM
    nhtundra

nhtundra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2015 Dcab Sport Barcelona Red
    Got 2200 miles so far and no complaints. Still searching for 25 MPG, though. : )

5. Jan 19, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    BadgerCO4x4

BadgerCO4x4 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Rear leaf TSB, extra D-rings in bed
    I had(have) this on my 2011, and it's awful! Took it to the dealership once, they couldn't hear it and didn't believe me.

Took it back after I made sure I wasn't crazy and they heard it. Said it was a problem with the blower motor bearings that they actually were aware of with Tacomas (so why didn't you fix it in the first place?). They "insulated" it to stop the noise. Didn't fix it.

Took it back the third time, they finally replaced the entire blower motor and the noise disappeared. Except that now after three or four months, the noise is starting again.

Eff.

6. Jan 19, 2012 at 8:30 AM
    FARMERBUCK

FARMERBUCK Looking for answers.

Member:
    First Name:
    Buck
    Monticello, Ky
    Vehicle:
    Stock 11 TRD Sport
    None yet, want steps and bull bar possibly.
    #4 has been an ongoing issue along with the truck being lower on the left side and pulling left with a load, tired of fighting the wheel...3300 miles and it's going in for the 1st service and the dealers last attempt at fixing these issues. Toyota has already given me a case#, next step Lemon Law...Love the JBL stereo......

7. Jan 19, 2012 at 4:45 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    I always thought it was me because I always had the blower on low all the time. After they replaced it I never left on low all the time. I left it off. But it still came back after 6 or so months. They must tell the guys not to hear that problem.

I sure hope my new truck does not develop this problem.

8. Jan 19, 2012 at 6:07 PM
    nova423

nova423 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD Sport
    Nerf bars, LED lights, truxport tonneau
    I've got 1200 miles on my DCLB TRD Sport. Had the hard start three days in a row the first cold weekend of this winter. Radio (xm) sounds tinny as well. Brakes feel kinda spongy too.

9. Jan 19, 2012 at 10:12 PM
    TRDHUNTR

TRDHUNTR Active Member

Member:
    TRD Sport DCLB (1200 miles)
    1) Hard Start once (55 degree weather)
    2) Jumping RPMs at Idle between 800-1000

10. Jan 19, 2012 at 10:29 PM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back
    19 from a double can is pretty good considering how much the 4cyl is having to work to move it

11. Jan 19, 2012 at 10:31 PM
    Foihdzas

Foihdzas VA7PTZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    B.C Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl Cab 5' Box 6 Speed
    2010 Tacoma, sold...
    my 2010 has #1 sometimes .. but not enough to make me remotely worried. gl

12. Jan 20, 2012 at 6:29 AM
    jtcskr227

jtcskr227 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Connecticut
    Is your steering wheel off center at all? My truck pulls left without a load but only at higher speeds.

I have also noticed more driveline vibrations other than when just starting out. I noticed it while braking from 60-50MPH on the highway the other day and then when I accelerated just after I felt vibrations. It still could have been the road.

Can you explain your symptoms and what the dealer has done to try to remedy them?

Thanks,
    Joe

13. Jan 20, 2012 at 6:30 AM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    I keep hearing about hard starts with 2012...did they mess up on design of starter?

14. Jan 20, 2012 at 6:49 AM
    jtcskr227

jtcskr227 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Connecticut
    I was able to determine that my passenger seat is pretty loose. I have been noticing it shaking really badly when at highway speeds and when hitting bumps. I blamed the shaking over 70MPH to be because the wheels are a little off balance as well. I started hearing a knocking type of sound and realized i hear it when the seat shakes when hitting bumps. I can just hit the side of the seat back and it shakes and makes the vibration sounds which sounded like they were coming from under the truck.

Anyone else have this? Just another thing to have the dealer repait when I bring it in for the first service.

15. Jan 20, 2012 at 7:54 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    It turns over just fine. It is an ignition or fuel problem? I would guess fuel since it is only when it is cold. Anyone know if they have some sort of a check valve on the the fuel line?

16. Jan 20, 2012 at 9:40 AM
    zeekevin

zeekevin Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    i also have this issue in my '12 also at freeway speeds kinda annoying to see it shaking

17. Jan 20, 2012 at 5:19 PM
    Hydrolai

Hydrolai Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    friendswood
    Vehicle:
    trd off road 4x4
    Firestick NGP Uniden 520 PROXL BadaBling! 6k Hid Plasti-Dip Wheels/Badges Leds Bed Lights
    ive had that problem with mine. one day after work went to my truck and tried to start it... took way longer than normal tried 3 times before it finally started... but it only happens once in a while has happend twice right now have 5,3XX

18. Jan 20, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    VermontFatBoy

VermontFatBoy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road
    OR a Harley with EFI. Harley fuel pump makes a sound like a dentist's drill for a second or two.

On topic: 2012 Access Cab w/TRD off-road. I don't seem to have any problems AT ALL with my ride. Other than I haven't found a bug guard for a 2012 yet. The radio is not a problem for me since I don't tend to crank them anyway.

19. Jan 20, 2012 at 6:58 PM
    Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC TRD Sport
    I only get hard starts if I fuel up at the BP station down the street. If I stick with the PDQ (exxon, I think) it starts just fine.

Maybe other people put their tongues in the starter, I don't know. But I do know that the BP gas is bad news man. Like, always with the negative vibes, Moriarty.

20. Jan 20, 2012 at 7:43 PM
    rld

rld Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Hokes Bluff, AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 4wd TRD Sport
    I've got 5600 on my 2012 and have experienced the longer starts only twice. I have noticed that it pulls slightly to the left. The brakes do feel a bit spongy, but I noticed that on my first test drive.

Products Discussed in

To Top