Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anyone using Harbor Freight 1.5 Ton Racing Jack with no problems??

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-12-2011, 06:28 AM   #1
cverneau is on a distinguished road

Name: Craig
cverneau's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone using Harbor Freight 1.5 Ton Racing Jack with no problems??

Yesterday I picked up a 1.5 ton aluminum racing jack from Harbor Freight for $59.

This one: http://www.harborfreight.com/rapid-p...html-7814.html

Anyone use this for general maintenance?? I'm only looking to use it for tire rotation, brake jobs and possibly new shock installation. I realize the height of this jack will require the use of blocks or for the jack to be on patio bricks to get the extra height as it only goes to 15".

I'm not looking to lift the whole front or rear end at once, just each corner as necessary. So is this decent enough for ocassional usage??

Also, what jack stands would be best for the truck for the height??
Old 12-12-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
Fiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fiveology's Tacoma Gallery
I use that one to lift my Mustang, it's a decent jack. I would want a bit more capacity for my truck. They have an aluminum 3 ton version that would be better for your truck. I would get jackstands of at least 3 ton capacity, and remember jackstand are rated as pairs, so really each stand in a 3 ton capacity set is only good for 1.5 ton.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:50 AM   #4
Taco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to all
Taco John's Tacoma Gallery
You'll want a jack with extra lift and stay away from the blocks under a floor jack. The geometry changes on them as they raise so they need the ability to slide on their wheels or they will be holding up your truck at an angle. You can get away with blocking on other styles of jacks but not that kind.

I picked up an SUV jack at Walmart with a lift extension. It is steel, heavy and ugly, but its gets the job done and didn't cost a lot.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:54 AM   #5
WV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the rough
WV150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cverneau View Post
Yesterday I picked up a 1.5 ton aluminum racing jack from Harbor Freight for $59.

This one: http://www.harborfreight.com/rapid-p...html-7814.html

Anyone use this for general maintenance?? I'm only looking to use it for tire rotation, brake jobs and possibly new shock installation. I realize the height of this jack will require the use of blocks or for the jack to be on patio bricks to get the extra height as it only goes to 15".

I'm not looking to lift the whole front or rear end at once, just each corner as necessary. So is this decent enough for ocassional usage??

Also, what jack stands would be best for the truck for the height??
Should work ok but remember not to put the jack under the rear diff. and raise whole rear.Will damage rear housing.On corners only.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:56 AM   #6
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
why not lift by the rear diff? people do it all the time.... i have done it before too. that shit is so thick its pretty crazy. i dont think it will damage it. well at least on a first gen. second gets are all plastic parts

i would get a little bigger than 1.5 ton
Old 12-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
GTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GTABurnout's Tacoma Gallery
I have one for my Evo it works great.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #8
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
but the evo is way lighter right?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
GTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GTABurnout's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
but the evo is way lighter right?
True I used this jack with a aluminum craftsman jack to lift the front of my dodge diesel so it was fine for that as well just not enough to lift the entire front of the dodge. I assume it would lift the Tacoma just fine....
Old 12-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #12
Taco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to all
Taco John's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
Just don't extend the jack all the way. I did that once and the jack went into bypass mode while under the truck and it started lowering on me lol. I got out of there quick
Don't crawl under a truck supported by a jack alone. Use stands.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #14
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
I use the HF 3k racing jack no problem. $60 can't go wrong. You only either lift the front, rear or each wheel so no issues. I use wooden blocks when needed offroad. I used it here when crappy tires + mud = fail.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #15
When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut
CorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan S.
CorrosiveTendency's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WV150 View Post
Should work ok but remember not to put the jack under the rear diff. and raise whole rear.Will damage rear housing.On corners only.

Whaaaaat? Come on now.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:20 PM   #16
WV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the rough
WV150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
why not lift by the rear diff? people do it all the time.... i have done it before too. that shit is so thick its pretty crazy. i dont think it will damage it. well at least on a first gen. second gets are all plastic parts

i would get a little bigger than 1.5 ton
I have done that on many trucks with no problems also but on one of the threads some has said the manual says not to as it can cause leaks where the tube goes into the pumpkin housing.A search may find it.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #17
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
here a couple in action, and they work. They also get me full droop in the front
Old 12-14-2011, 01:17 AM   #18
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
^broken bj? or bolts?
Old 12-14-2011, 01:35 AM   #19
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WV150 View Post
I have done that on many trucks with no problems also but on one of the threads some has said the manual says not to as it can cause leaks where the tube goes into the pumpkin housing.A search may find it.
I'm calling BS.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:43 AM   #20
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifenix View Post
^broken bj? or bolts?
bent both spindles because he hit the mini grand canyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy18 View Post
I'm calling BS.
x2

Products Discussed in this Thread