Notices

ARB Front Air Locker, Diff oil came out sliver

Old 12-13-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
ILikeTacosToo is on a distinguished road

Navy: SLJO
Name: Kyle
ILikeTacosToo's Tacoma Gallery
ARB Front Air Locker, Diff oil came out sliver

Good morning, I changed out my front and rear diff and transfer case oil and noticed that the oil in the front was a little more silvery then the rest. guess that means the gears are wearing down and a bunch of really fine metal has gotten in there. I have ARB air locker in the front. does anyone else notice this when they change gear oil?
Old 12-13-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
sprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sprocketdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeTacosToo View Post
Good morning, I changed out my front and rear diff and transfer case oil and noticed that the oil in the front was a little more silvery then the rest. guess that means the gears are wearing down and a bunch of really fine metal has gotten in there. I have ARB air locker in the front. does anyone else notice this when they change gear oil?
Is this the first time you have changed the oil since the locker and gears have been installed? You know when you regear or add a locker it is stated you should change out the gear oil the first 500 miles of use to get rid of any contaminents let over from the manufacturer/installer.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
ILikeTacosToo is on a distinguished road

Navy: SLJO
Name: Kyle
ILikeTacosToo's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the information. I bought the truck with the ARB and i'm guessing the guy before me never changed the diff fluid because when he showed me under the hood he showed me the wrong thing when he was talking about the compressor. When i got it home i changed all three fluids and notices the color. I will change it again in a few thousand miles and see how it looks again. I appreciate the reply. Have a good one!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
You shouldn't have anything to worry about, mine looked exactly the same when I drained and refilled mine after I had my frontlocker installed as well.. but for me, I did the refill after a couple of trips on the trail rather then waiting the 500 miles that's normally recommended