Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bear Big Trip

Old 12-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
Lovin Tacos
tacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to behold

Name: Bryant
tacomacrazy's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Bear Big Trip

Hey ya,
planning a week long trip to big bear this week. I was wondering any other advice besides all the info i searched for.

tires, antifreeze, windshield wiper fluids. (rated for freezing temps)

I just serviced my truck to get it ready ie oil change, fluids, and tires.

Im running bf K/Os brand new shoes.(GOD I LOVE THEM)

anything else I should worry about? Battery warmers?

lil more info on truck: 4by severe snow rated tires, chains and cables.
and the little goodies BOB/BOV

as of today:

thanks
Old 12-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Take a shovel.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
n2glock is on a distinguished road
Name: Eddie
n2glock's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like fun, wish I could go! I haven't been there in a few years. We would camp there every year back in the day.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Snow chains...it might be required to at least have in your taco depending on road conditions...hefty fine if the road signs says chains required and you don't have em if pulled over by the highway patrol. Lot of fun fire roads on the west side of big bear lake...especially now since they are covered in snow
Old 12-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Lovin Tacos
tacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Take a shovel.
i.e. the BOB bag/BOV:
I have shovel, gravel, tow strap gloves wovel blanks winter gear
=]
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2glock View Post
Sounds like fun, wish I could go! I haven't been there in a few years. We would camp there every year back in the day.
Its never to late for a road trip!!

I have though about camping up there, I have the gear to do it.

any location recommendations
Old 12-13-2011, 09:01 AM   #6
Lovin Tacos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
Snow chains...it might be required to at least have in your taco depending on road conditions...hefty fine if the road signs says chains required and you don't have em if pulled over by the highway patrol. Lot of fun fire roads on the west side of big bear lake...especially now since they are covered in snow
I have both.. snow chins nd cables...

what would you recommend? chains in the back and cables in the front?

or ill be fine with just chains in the back?
Old 12-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
nashi is on a distinguished road
nashi's Tacoma Gallery
I think it snowed up there last night. I can't see it on the mountain from here, too many clouds. enjoy!
Old 12-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
Lovin Tacos

ANyone else what to chime in?
Old 12-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
Workman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Workman's Tacoma Gallery
Workman thinks you will be fine. You aren't going to the Arctic, Big Bears not that cold. Your truck will make it, he's sure of it. Your in California afterall
He also thinks that mentioning a battery warmer for SO CAL is pretty funny!
Old 12-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
tacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoteacher's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoteacher wonders why Workman speaks in the first person, but concurs that OP is adequately prepared.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
dtaco06 is a jewel in the roughdtaco06 is a jewel in the roughdtaco06 is a jewel in the roughdtaco06 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Danny
dtaco06's Tacoma Gallery
Saw an article in the OC Register earlier. Chains definitely required at this time, just make sure you have them in the truck in case you are stopped or asked about them.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #12
3ps14 is on a distinguished road

3ps14's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be going there too this weekend in some stock tires! see ya there!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #13
Lovin Tacos

^^
Ill be there it friday man hopefully its turns out great.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
Galt/Rearden 2012
whatatoy is a jewel in the roughwhatatoy is a jewel in the roughwhatatoy is a jewel in the roughwhatatoy is a jewel in the rough
whatatoy's Tacoma Gallery
Should I resurrect this thread or start a new one?

Going to big bear in my 4runner (2wd) I'll be buying chains/cables for my trip up there, hoping to not use them and returning them... any suggestions? Tires are yokohamas 265/75/17. 2wd.

Do I need chains/cables on all 4 tires, or just drive tires?

Newbie snow driver so I go sloooooww and easy (sorry to the native snow drivers - I'm that guy because I dont want to replace my 4runner) But i did drift my wrx through it once upon a time (no pics - sorry)