Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Plate or Tube Bumper Decision Suggestions?

Old 12-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Custom Fabrication and Performance
8BoltRacing is on a distinguished road

Name: Jared
8BoltRacing's Tacoma Gallery
Plate or Tube Bumper Decision Suggestions?

I recently hit a deer and I'm getting a check from insurance to fix it myself. I want to get either a plate or tube bumper to protect from future damage. I would like to know opinions of which type would best suit my needs and preferences. I think im leaning more toward a plate bumper because they seem to offer better protection but I don't want a ton of weight added either. I want hoops that come up over the grille and headlights, and I want to keep my fog lights. I like the looks of the Aluminess, Relentless, Brute Force, Demello, and Shockworks. I don't like the ARB. I live outside of Pittsburgh and its deer country out here and that's mostly what I want to protect against but a lil extra can't hurt.. Currently have no desire to lift my truck but if ever I do I don't want much 3" max. My factory shocks are worn out and i have a set of 5100's to go on. Throw me some opinions please..
Old 12-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
There is a sticky on this topic in the 2nd gen forum.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Here you go. Everything you need to know

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...gens-only.html
Old 12-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
[eric] is on a distinguished road
Name: Eric
[eric]'s Tacoma Gallery
I used to be interested in an armored bumper too to protect from elk and deer, but then I heard because the armored bumper does not compress on impact it transfers more enegry to the passengers and they are more likely to get injuried.

Has anyone else heard this?
Old 12-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
This must be the 10th thread about bumpers started within the last month. Does anyone search anymore?
Old 12-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
Jojack is on a distinguished road

Name: Joel
Jojack's Tacoma Gallery
Does it matter Enzo? The guy just wanted an opinion.

I'm actually about to build a bumper and am trying to decide the same thing. Plate or tube. I've looked at pictures but have yet to decide. IMO plate will give more coverage but will definitely sag the front end if left stock. However thats a good excuse to do some suspension mods. I'm interested in the opinions from fellow TW members also!
Old 12-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
Does anyone search anymore?
When did they?
Old 12-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Tube bumpers are gay
Old 12-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by [eric] View Post
I used to be interested in an armored bumper too to protect from elk and deer, but then I heard because the armored bumper does not compress on impact it transfers more enegry to the passengers and they are more likely to get injuried.
Has anyone else heard this?
The majority of energy absorption comes from crumple zones built into the frame and inner fender extensions. In a severe crash, the bumper will get pushed into the front end of the truck. The crumple zones still crumple as usual. Airbags still deploy (sensors are acceleration-based).

Most 4x4s in Australia (including American vehicles like the Holden Colorado) come with plate bumpers as a genuine OEM accessory. The automakers wouldn't market these bumpers if they voided crash testing results.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #11

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BoltRacing View Post
Thank you Mitch but I have looked at that page for hours and checked out some of the sites. I'm asking for anyone's personal experience, advice opinions and any specifics like weight, cost, durability etc. of any of the bumpers.

Oh, sorry. I miss understood your post.

I can't help ya. I haven't purchased one...........yet.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #12
[eric] is on a distinguished road
Name: Eric
[eric]'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
The majority of energy absorption comes from crumple zones built into the frame and inner fender extensions. In a severe crash, the bumper will get pushed into the front end of the truck. The crumple zones still crumple as usual. Airbags still deploy (sensors are acceleration-based).

Most 4x4s in Australia (including American vehicles like the Holden Colorado) come with plate bumpers as a genuine OEM accessory. The automakers wouldn't market these bumpers if they voided crash testing results.
good to know. thanks
Old 12-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #13
instagram: ATC510
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Alex
sytfu510's Tacoma Gallery
plate bumper ftw. I just got my Demello 3 hoop. It was heavy but even with the winch mounted I was able to lift it on the truck by myself. The bumper is a around 110-120lbs (guessing). The winch is around 63lbs ( comp model XRC8 )

Old 12-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #14
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
korslite's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytfu510 View Post
plate bumper ftw. I just got my Demello 3 hoop. It was heavy but even with the winch mounted I was able to lift it on the truck by myself. The bumper is a tad over 100lbs. The winch is around 60 ( comp model XRC8 )

Very jealous! Moar pics pls?
Old 12-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #15
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by korslite View Post
Very jealous! Moar pics pls?
sorry sir, none as of yet. thanks I'll post it up when I do.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BoltRacing View Post
I really do like the Demello in fact its one of my top picks.. how much did it run you?
Got it on their group buy it was 1100 shipped or something around there ( to norcal )