Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cigarette Lighter does not work

Old 12-14-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
MikeB29212 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
MikeB29212's Tacoma Gallery
Cigarette Lighter does not work

My cigarette lighter is not working, the adjacent 12v plug is working. I have checked the fuse and it is good, any suggestions?
Old 12-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Are you certain the fuse is good. Test it.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
aznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aznutx's Tacoma Gallery
basically it's either the fuse, or the actual plug is broke, ^ double check the fuse
Old 12-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
I have tried 3 different fuses and it still does not work. Does the same fuse power the cigarette lighter and the 12v plug? I have been looking at how to gain access to the lighter to remove it, it seems as if Toyota built the truck around the lighter!
Old 12-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB29212 View Post
I have tried 3 different fuses and it still does not work. Does the same fuse power the cigarette lighter and the 12v plug? I have been looking at how to gain access to the lighter to remove it, it seems as if Toyota built the truck around the lighter!
You have to take most of the dash panels apart in order to get to the back of the lighter plug/12v plug.

I just toko mine apart, and in order to get the actual panel off, you have to remove the stereo, then the stereo surround (and in order to get that off you have to pull off the right hand side of the dash cluster panel). Remove the glove box, pull apart the center console (there's 2 bolts inside the bottom of it). Pull up on the cup holder (2 more screws underneath that). Remove the rear center console piece, then finally remove the front center console piece.

That's all for the manual transmission. I'm unsure of exactly how to remove the auto trans pieces, but I'm sure if you get this far, you'll be able to figure it out.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
I found the problem - I lit up the inside of the plug with a flashlight and saw corrosion on the connecting point. I pulled the fuse and cleaned the terminal with steel wool, everything is working fine now! I am glad that I did not take everything apart to find that it was a simple fix.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #8
aznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aznutx's Tacoma Gallery
Nice
Old 04-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
tacomatrdod is on a distinguished road
tacomatrdod's Tacoma Gallery
Well mine wont work... and it's very annoying, if it was a fuse apparently the radio and clock wouldn't be working. As is happening to mine right now. ANy ideas on how to fix this guys?
Old 04-10-2013, 01:29 AM   #10
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatrdod View Post
Well mine wont work... and it's very annoying, if it was a fuse apparently the radio and clock wouldn't be working. As is happening to mine right now. ANy ideas on how to fix this guys?
The cigarette lighter outlet fuse doesn't have anything to do with the Radio or the clock... They have different fuses.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
The cigarette lighter outlet fuse doesn't have anything to do with the Radio or the clock... They have different fuses.
Yes. But apparently the cigarette adapter is then hooked up to the radio in a . circuit, or at least according to the Internet. Anyways I've checked all the fuses and my clock, head unit & acc adapters are still not working
Old 04-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #12
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes. But apparently the cigarette adapter is then hooked up to the radio in a . circuit, or at least according to the Internet. Anyways I've checked all the fuses and my clock, head unit & acc adapters are still not working

The only common point would be the 7.5 ampere accessory fuse did you check that? Or the Accessory relay ( that is not in the radio or clock circuit ) that is turned on by the ACC Position on the ignition switch which powers the Cig Lighter and power point sockets.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:18 AM   #14

Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, there is an echo in here .....
Old 04-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
The only common point would be the 7.5 ampere accessory fuse did you check that? Or the Accessory relay ( that is not in the radio or clock circuit ) that is turned on by the ACC Position on the ignition switch which powers the Cig Lighter and power point sockets.
Hmm... which fuse exactly? I swear i checked all of the fuses with ACC in them. even that really big one, like i checked everyfuse short of checking them one by one.
regardless im checking all the 7.5Ampere fuses lol
Old 04-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #16

Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hmm... which fuse exactly? I swear i checked all of the fuses with ACC in them. even that really big one, like i checked everyfuse short of checking them one by one.
regardless im checking all the 7.5Ampere fuses lol
The 7.5 Ampere Fuse for the ACC is in the Drivers side fuse box behind the change pop out.