Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

daytime running light issue

Old 12-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
pauoolmojica is on a distinguished road
pauoolmojica's Tacoma Gallery
daytime running light issue

was informed by asian ants about daytime running lights melting the lenses on tacoma headlights. I have a '11 model. haven't noticed any melting yet but i'm about to retrofit it. should i turn off the daytime running light capabilities? i like how they look but if they're gonna melt my lenses i'd rather not risk it with the permanent retrofit.

any suggestions?
Old 12-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
If you like them then keep them.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Mine haven't melted in the last 3 years of daily use .
Old 12-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
It's an issue with few of the 2nd gens, there's a pretty small chance that it'll happen (but it does)

the 2010 hasn't had any problems with it's DRL
Old 12-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
thanks guys. i will keep them on. worse comes to worse i just buy new headlights and crack open the old ones and get the projector out.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
Reaper
09 Redneck is a jewel in the rough09 Redneck is a jewel in the rough09 Redneck is a jewel in the rough
09 Redneck's Tacoma Gallery
Getting mine replaced tomorrow under warranty. Both lens have burn marks, getting the whole headlight for both.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
davelac will become famous soon enough
davelac's Tacoma Gallery
The 2011's have daytime running lights?? Mine doesn't seem to have them as far as I know. Which lamps should be on when the car is running? Do they go on when the truck is in gear only? I'll have to check again.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelac View Post
The 2011's have daytime running lights?? Mine doesn't seem to have them as far as I know. Which lamps should be on when the car is running? Do they go on when the truck is in gear only? I'll have to check again.
really? the amber reflectors in the front aren't on when you are driving during the day? they go on once the car is turned on.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:50 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
DTRLs were a dealer installed option. A lot got them but some didn't.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:09 PM   #10
gotcha. did not know that.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:56 AM   #11
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
My original lenses melted, had them replaced at the dealer about 2yrs ago and have had no issues since...
Old 12-15-2011, 07:06 AM   #12
davelac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
DTRLs were a dealer installed option. A lot got them but some didn't.
I guess I'm one of the "some" that didn't. I can live w/o them. The dealer I bought my '11 from didn't try to pressure me into any dealer-installed options. I think he knew that I wanted my new SR5 "as-is" off the lot or no deal.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #14
davelac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelac View Post
I guess I'm one of the "some" that didn't. I can live w/o them. The dealer I bought my '11 from didn't try to pressure me into any dealer-installed options. I think he knew that I wanted my new SR5 "as-is" off the lot or no deal.
If I did decide later on that I wanted them on for some reason, what's involved in doing so? I sort of like those LED strips under the headlights and might look at them as an alternative to the lamp within the headlight assembly.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:20 AM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
look for an LED or lower wattage bulb maybe?
do you think thats something i can just pick up from auto zone and install it?
led sounds like a good idea. no heat.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #16
and people who say their 2010s haven't melted yet or what not, could that possibly be because they are fairly new. isn't their a certain mileage that it occurred around with the '09s?
Old 12-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #17
just an AnT
AsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3451, 1st Civ Div MCB Camp Pendleton
Name: AnT
AsianAnts's Tacoma Gallery
The DTRL turns on when the car is on and when the E-Brake is in the released position. DTRL continues to be on if you just have your parking lights on

DTRL turns OFF when you have your headlights on.

at least that is how my 2011 goes.... But I disabled the DTRL because I didn't want to risk the burning of my lens, especially on my LS460 projectors...... My fog lights act as DTRL.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #18
Texio is a splendid one to beholdTexio is a splendid one to beholdTexio is a splendid one to beholdTexio is a splendid one to beholdTexio is a splendid one to beholdTexio is a splendid one to behold

Texio's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced the OEM bulbs to a lower temperature set on my 2011 DTRL before I saw any problems. It was an easy $10 preventative fix. Will look for the exact bulb type and #, there are a couple of posts out there about it.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #19
Texio is a splendid one to beholdTexio is a splendid one to beholdTexio is a splendid one to beholdTexio is a splendid one to beholdTexio is a splendid one to beholdTexio is a splendid one to behold

Texio's Tacoma Gallery
Check this out:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post2418344

Hope it helps.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #20
cntmdc is a splendid one to beholdcntmdc is a splendid one to beholdcntmdc is a splendid one to beholdcntmdc is a splendid one to beholdcntmdc is a splendid one to beholdcntmdc is a splendid one to beholdcntmdc is a splendid one to beholdcntmdc is a splendid one to behold

Name: Pablo
cntmdc's Tacoma Gallery
Mine looked liked FLETCH AKA's and I had them replaced under warranty about 2months ago and I immediately notice they didn't have a amber reflector like the one pictured above has (hence problem with the melting) they should be fine now. I thought they would have given me a hard time like every issue I took to them before but they replaced them @35k miles no questions asked. Very happy with replacement light bulb.