Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anybody have a 4.0l V6 timing belt break?

Old 12-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
apoolguy is on a distinguished road
Name: RJ
apoolguy's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody have a 4.0l V6 timing belt break?

Hi, all -

New member here, long-time Toyota owner.

Was wondering if anybody's experienced breakage of the timing belt on the 4.0L V6?

My Tacoma's just hit 90K mi, which is the recommended replacement period. It's also my work truck, so I need it daily. I realize it's a $1,000, all-day repair, just hoping to delay until right after the first of the year...

TIA!

RJ
Old 12-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
JasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasonJump's Tacoma Gallery
No because it doesn't have a timing belt, its got the Chain
Old 12-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJump View Post
its got the Chain
That's what I thought.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
JasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasonJump's Tacoma Gallery
And to further answer your question, the chain doesn't really an interval of change, only time I have heard of switching chains is if they become stretched, which isn't way common
Old 12-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The chain is designed to last the life of the engine.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Good to know. I got 305 000 kms on my truck now and was thinking about the timing chain
Old 12-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Night's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Soo, by my calculations... Forever?
Old 12-15-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night View Post
I think the valve springs would wear out befoer the timing chain did..
Old 12-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
do the 05's have the chain or belt?
Old 12-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by captclueless View Post
do the 05's have the chain or belt?
chain
Old 12-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #11
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Night's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I think the valve springs would wear out befoer the timing chain did..
I was making a joke haha. You know, Toyota reliability, engine lasting forever? Funny huh? Hahahahah.

I know, I know...
Old 12-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #12
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
My68ur8trd's Tacoma Gallery
I have seen the timing chain tensioners for the small chains ( between the exhaust and intake cam sprockets fail ( collapse) causing the chain to slap the cam cover . but the chain should last the life of the truck.

Justin
Old 01-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #14
apoolguy is on a distinguished road
Name: RJ
apoolguy's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, all, for your help.

Just saved me $1000. . . yeah!

Onward, then
Old 01-02-2012, 06:14 AM   #15
Toyo_Jet is on a distinguished road

Name: Shane
Toyo_Jet's Tacoma Gallery
Don't worry about the chain, but you may want to think about checking the valve clearances.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #16
spithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
spithead051's Tacoma Gallery
Valve clearances should be checked every 60K miles according to the maintenance schedule on the V6. The timing chain is internally lubricated so as long as the oil system operates correctly you should never have to worry about the timing chain having problems.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #17
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
I THOUGHT we had a chain... scared me for a moment.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #18
MrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to behold

Name: Angie
MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night View Post
A 1st gen changed his timing chain for the first time at 350k-miles. It had stretched and the tentioner was broken.

Don't take it to the dealer, but DO have it looked at by a shop. Not serviced, just inspected. Preventative maintenance and awareness of what the vehicle is doing is key to keeping them running. Don't throw parts at it willy-nilly (aka, replacing a good chain), but do know what the chain, tentioner, etc are doing.

Also, if you've never flushed your transmission, now is too late to start. You'll likely wash out the worn clutches. Instead, opt for the transmission service, or full fluid exchange. (Standard transmissions)
Old 01-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #19
saf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nice
Marines:
saf023's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spithead051 View Post
Valve clearances should be checked every 60K miles according to the maintenance schedule on the V6. The timing chain is internally lubricated so as long as the oil system operates correctly you should never have to worry about the timing chain having problems.
Don't mean to highjack the thread but how many hours of work to check valve clearances? Is there anything else that should be done at 60K miles? Thanks.