1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Heated Mirrors DIY mod

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Benson X, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Dec 11, 2012 at 6:25 AM
    Chacey

Chacey Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Berkley, Ma.
    Vehicle:
    2012 4wd TRDsport
    bed extender, WeatherTech mats frnt & rear, In-channel vent visors, Undercover Hard Tonneau, Silver metalic pinstirpe. Fog light mod. LEDGlow tail lightbar 5way. FLYZEYE dash light. Heated mirror mod.
    Hi,
    I ordered the mirrors from Burco $46 and $49 But they only came as glass no backing plate, just the heated glass. I guess I'll have to separate originals from backing plate and adhere these to the backing plate. Mike you just did this with the Sienna mirrors what did you use as adhesive? More work should have called and asked before I ordered.

2. Dec 11, 2012 at 6:51 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I did not use any adhesive, none was required. The Sienna backing plate is different from the Tacoma's so I separated the glass from the backing plate on both the Tacoma and Sienna mirrors and the Sienna mirror just pops into the Tacoma backing plate. There is some white stick crap on the back of the Sienna mirror that I left on. I'm assuming it keeps it from rattling. I did not use any other adhesive, the Sienna glass fits very tightly into the Tacoma backer plate, you just have to widen the hole for the wires as shown in the OP. I used a razor for that bit.

3. Dec 11, 2012 at 7:49 AM
    Chacey

Chacey Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Berkley, Ma.
    Vehicle:
    2012 4wd TRDsport
    bed extender, WeatherTech mats frnt & rear, In-channel vent visors, Undercover Hard Tonneau, Silver metalic pinstirpe. Fog light mod. LEDGlow tail lightbar 5way. FLYZEYE dash light. Heated mirror mod.
    Thanks for the quick reply Mike. I'll be trying this tonight probably. Hope to get them out and back in while its dry. I'll have to attempt the wiring during days off around Christmas. Again thanks for quick response.

I also purchased a "Flyzeye" for my dash. They are very quick in service and assistance with questions I had. Also Excellent product.

Later:)

4. Dec 11, 2012 at 7:58 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If you have Sienna mirrors, you need to run the wiring while the mirrors are off, otherwise you'll have to pull them off later. There's no way to get wires attached to them when the mirrors are installed. You have to take the entire mirror assembly apart to run the wires from the mirror into the door (unbolt the whole housing from the truck, unbolt the mirror cover from the base part and pull the glass away from the housing).

The next fun part is getting the wires from the door into the cab. I used a straightened metal coat hanger to fish the wires through that rubber boot, being very careful not to rip the boot. I fed the coat hanger through from the cab side, disconnected the boot on the door side, fed the hanger through, taped the wires to the hanger and pull them back. Last Sunday, I just installed the mirrors and ran the wires through the doors to the kick panels in the cab and left them coiled there. When I get a chance, I will finish up the wiring and get my switch installed.

A side note, when the wires are run in the door, make sure they are clear of the window so the bottom edge of the glass can not catch the wires when you put the window down. I taped my wires to the factory wire loom to keep them secured.

5. Dec 11, 2012 at 12:47 PM
    Chacey

Chacey Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Berkley, Ma.
    Vehicle:
    2012 4wd TRDsport
    Thanks for the heads up. I guess I will wait until I have more time.:rolleyes:

6. Dec 14, 2012 at 8:49 PM
    GroBrochet

GroBrochet Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2012 Sr5 sport full cab V6
    Thank for sharing this. Was a bit anoid by the fact that my 2012 tacoma has no heated mirror. So that will be my first mod and this will help quite a bit. Let me know of any advice specific to the 2012. Thx

7. Dec 15, 2012 at 10:54 AM
    GroBrochet

GroBrochet Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2012 Sr5 sport full cab V6
    Hi, the "optional Amber light" what is it exactly? Isn't the highlander mirror switch comes with a witness light built in? thanks

8. Dec 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport

Your 2012+ has green "witness lighting" switches, you don't need the amber bulb, as the highlander switch already has a green bulb installed.

.... the prior year Tacos have amber "witness lighted" switches. Those folks will want to buy the amber bulb and swap out from the green one.

9. Dec 15, 2012 at 2:56 PM
    fjrmurph

fjrmurph Well-Known Member

Member:
    I got a 2010 TRD and i bought mirrors for a 2010 Forerunner. I didn't get the signal lights or the puddle lights just wanted the heated mirrors. Whats the best way to connect the wireing on them, i was thinking of trying to get the connectors off a Forerunner, that would give me the 5 pin connector i think?

10. Dec 17, 2012 at 5:19 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    [​IMG]
    I used this as my wiring diagram and for some reason mine don't work. As a check, can someone confirm what I did will work, I made some variations on the above diagram:
    Mirror power and switch power supply (Switch Pin #5) are taken off an add-a-circuit, power confirmed at both locations.
    Mirror grounds tied into Switch Pin #4, confirmed power here also so power does get through the mirrors.
    Switch Pin #3 grounded to the chassis (ground was checked).

I am not using a relay.

Also, a helpful tip for anyone doing this who has an SR5, if you get the Highlander switch and wiring pigtail, you don't have to solder to the existing dimmer switch wires. Instead, you can remove the pins from one of the switch locations that your truck doesn't have (like the diff lock or bed outlet plugs), reinsert them into your plug and you're good to go. It'll work on the factory dimmer and you don't have to mess with splicing and soldering those tiny wires tucked into the dash.

11. Dec 17, 2012 at 12:10 PM
    RI Tacoma

RI Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phx sometime soon
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sport DCLB
    OME 885's, Derped FJ TRD Wheels, Hankook Dynapro's ATM 265/75/16's, Retro's, WeatherTech Liners, Fog Light Mod, Bak Flip F-1, N-Fab Steps, 20% Tint, complete stereo, heated mirrors, Katzkin seats!!

That's weird that yours didn't work. I wired mine this way and it works. Bad relay maybe?

12. Dec 17, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I didn't use a relay, I like to live dangerously :cool:

13. Dec 17, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

CtryBoyInMT Lifetime Member

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD V6 Access Manual TRD Off-Road
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    I hate to say it, but you may have blown your timer switch.
    This has been discussed in another thread Here. Mine worked fine but as soon as Shawnd had issues, I wired in a relay. Unfortunately, it was so long ago it was perhaps overlooked in this thread.
    I suggest wiring in a relay and hopefully the timer switch survived.

14. Dec 18, 2012 at 6:58 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'll throw a relay in and see what happens.

15. Dec 20, 2012 at 8:00 PM
    skiomax

skiomax Pro skier

Member:
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TDR Sport DC
    Extang cover Thule roof rack pop & Lock Short antena Weathertech floor liner TRD skid plate Leather Seat package
    this is pretty cool mod... I am going to give it a try on my 2013

16. Dec 27, 2012 at 9:49 AM
    Chacey

Chacey Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Berkley, Ma.
    Vehicle:
    2012 4wd TRDsport
    Well yesterday I finished the wiring and awaited the frosted mirrors this morning. To my dismay it was warm and raining. But I tried them anyway to dry off the mirror and they work great. This is a great option and should be standard from Toyota. The Highlander switch looks as if it was there since factory. GREAT MOD THANK YOU !! WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Jan 9, 2013 at 10:42 AM
    Red Buck

Red Buck Member

Member:
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Dbl Cab TRD
    Nice write up and solution to those wet and frosted mirrors. Why they are OE I don't know. Has anyone installed the 2012 Highlander heated mirrors and written it up?

From Benson's write up: "The 2012 Highlander Heated Mirror Glass works as a Direct Replacement for the '05-'13 Tacoma (thus eliminating the need to transfer/modify the plastic backplate if using the Sienna mirrors - thanks to File IFR for the info. [​IMG])"

18. Jan 9, 2013 at 10:48 AM
    Benson X

Benson X [OP] My build thread sucks...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    If you don't draw blood, you're doing it wrong!
    I will be doing this mod on my Dad's 2011 Tacoma very soon (1-2 weeks). He ordered the 2012 Highlander mirrors, so I will be able to definitively say "Yes, they work great!"

As of now, I haven't used them personally - just relying on what others have said.

19. Jan 9, 2013 at 10:50 AM
    b0ules

b0ules Fresh frame!

Member:
    Ottawa, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue 06 TRD Off-Road
    Leer 100XL Topper OME 885X/Nitrocharger Sport Front Dakar Leafs/Nitrocharger Sport Rear
    By the way... Don't start popping and reinstalling your mirrors in the frigid cold without first shooting some heat up into the mirror housing or directly onto the mirror backer with a hair dryer or heat gun. The little black clips on the back of the mirror backers snap quite easily.

Don't ask me how I now know...

20. Jan 9, 2013 at 11:00 AM
    Benson X

Benson X [OP] My build thread sucks...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    If you don't draw blood, you're doing it wrong!
    that doesn't sound good. Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

I actually stepped on one of my Sienna mirrors during install...that was a :facepalm:moment

To Top