Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OEM Heated Mirrors DIY mod

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #261
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsakeeper View Post
Here you go. Nevermind, I have to post the pic somewhere else and link it here. Pita. Tomorrow night
No worries man, do you know how to use TW Live? Check out the first post on TW Live, and there's instructions. Basically you can send a picture from your cell and it will upload it automatically. Much easier.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #263
itsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
itsakeeper's Tacoma Gallery
DUH !!!lol thanks
Old 07-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #264
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsakeeper View Post
DUH !!!lol thanks
Haha, I know it's obvious, but I didn't want to assume you knew that too. I'm sure you could use that, just not 100% sure of the pin out.

I'm guessing since it doesn't have have the "jewel" indicator light, that's your missing pin (like you previously said). I would wire it up in the same sequence and put your multitester on it to check. Good luck man.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #265
itsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
itsakeeper's Tacoma Gallery
Ha, got em workin. Had a problem with the switch not working but would when I put a jumper on it. Traced my wires and what I thought was a factory join on a piece of wire I used was actually a diode; must have been for a set of lights I guess.
Many thanks for your help and this thread.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #269
Instagram: stormtrooptaco
HighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud of

Name: Hank
HighTQCummins's Tacoma Gallery
just installed some pro-efx mirrors w/ a heater circuit in them, some day when I get time i'll certainly be trying to incoporate this write up to get them working, it'd be nice to have heated mirrors finally in this truck, plus I too have 1 empty spot in the dash w/ a blank that a heated mirror switch would fill perfectly

excellent write up, wish you lived closer by and could do this for me, looks a little bit daunting
Old 08-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #270
...and we're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTQCummins View Post
just installed some pro-efx mirrors w/ a heater circuit in them, some day when I get time i'll certainly be trying to incoporate this write up to get them working, it'd be nice to have heated mirrors finally in this truck, plus I too have 1 empty spot in the dash w/ a blank that a heated mirror switch would fill perfectly

excellent write up, wish you lived closer by and could do this for me, looks a little bit daunting
Nice man, I've been wondering how the ProEFX mirrors would work with elements of this mod. It is not that difficult, honestly, It is mostly just time-consuming. I helped my dad with his, and we got it done in about 5 hours.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #271
HighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
Nice man, I've been wondering how the ProEFX mirrors would work with elements of this mod. It is not that difficult, honestly, It is mostly just time-consuming. I helped my dad with his, and we got it done in about 5 hours.
I mean it's 2 wires for each, if you were diligent enough im sure you could just give it power and remember to turn it off, but thats the important part, remembering to turn it off, I like this timer/switch/relay set up. Toughest part I think for me is getting all the wires run and CLEAN
Old 08-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #272
mach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
mach1man001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
Quote:
I mean it's 2 wires for each, if you were diligent enough im sure you could just give it power and remember to turn it off, but thats the important part, remembering to turn it off, I like this timer/switch/relay set up. Toughest part I think for me is getting all the wires run and CLEAN

The ProEFX mirrors have no problem hooking up this way. I am the person that ran the poll to help finalize the products and ran the GB for the ProEFX mirrors. I constantly send people over to this thread to help them see what's up for the install. Even though I had someone help me install them after seeing it being done I am confident that most anybody can do it if you follow along this write up. GL with wiring them up and hope you like the mirrors!
Old 08-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1man001 View Post
The ProEFX mirrors have no problem hooking up this way. I am the person that ran the poll to help finalize the products and ran the GB for the ProEFX mirrors. I constantly send people over to this thread to help them see what's up for the install. Even though I had someone help me install them after seeing it being done I am confident that most anybody can do it if you follow along this write up. GL with wiring them up and hope you like the mirrors!
i've had them on for less than 24 hours, and already am in love w/ them, just wish I had the time to wire it up for heat, i'll have to see what kind of time I can come up w/ before winter to do this, although if I don't get it done, not a big loss, hell the stockers didn't have it either
Old 10-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #274
smgcon will become famous soon enough
Royal Canadian Mounted Police: Constable with 31 years service (Rtd)
Name: Geoff
smgcon's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Heated Mirrors

After watching this thread for a while and seeing the thermometer drop, I decided it was time to do this mod. The parts are fairly similarly priced in Canada with exception of the switch. It is double that shown in the US.

So I ordered all of the parts from the USA out of a Toyota dealer in Yuma AZ. Shipping was $15 but that was more than made up for by the lower switch price.

Should get this started in a couple of weeks once all of the bits arrive.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #275
floodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant future

Name: Ken
floodedkiwi's Tacoma Gallery
Muth mirror with heat and indicators

I just installed the Muth mirrors with heat and indicators and used BJGreenly's write up for the heated mirror piece ( http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...d-package.html), which worked fantastically and was super simple to install. The hardest part was pulling all the dash apart to install the OEM switch next to the Atrac switch.
The biggest issue I had was following the Muth instructions and contacted customer service and they sent me more info for my 2013, however still struggled trying to sort out where the actual wires were. Anyway, following the instructions as I read them did not give me indicators, so after getting a 2013 wiring diagram I found the tail light indicators and used them. Once found and traced, super easy. I have put two pics in so you can see where I ended up doing my hook ups. (yellow is left and Blue/ white is the right).
Only the close up pic will upload , so will add the other one on the next post.
Thanks to everyone who has added to this thread
Old 10-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #276
floodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant future

Name: Ken
floodedkiwi's Tacoma Gallery
Muth mirror with heat and indicators

Here is the overview pic so you can see the location of my tie ins
Old 10-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #277
gold68ht is on a distinguished road

Army: UH-60/UH-1/UH-72 crew chief
gold68ht's Tacoma Gallery
Subscribed
Old 10-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #278
Tacomaruss is on a distinguished road
Canadian Army: bin rat
Name: Russ
Tacomaruss's Tacoma Gallery
Subd
Old 10-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #279
smgcon will become famous soon enough
Royal Canadian Mounted Police: Constable with 31 years service (Rtd)
Name: Geoff
smgcon's Tacoma Gallery
Ben and those following this thread:

The instructions were perfect, so the install went off without a hitch. I would say it took 4 hours for everything including clean up. That is mostly because the write up was so well documented, the Muth door panel removal instructions were easy to follow, and I had read this thread 10 times at least over the last week or so

Best mod I have done so far as out temperature is falling and I don't have a garage. Should be able to try them out tomorrow morning when I go to work at 0630 hrs...
Old 10-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #280
...and we're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smgcon View Post
Ben and those following this thread:

The instructions were perfect, so the install went off without a hitch. I would say it took 4 hours for everything including clean up. That is mostly because the write up was so well documented, the Muth door panel removal instructions were easy to follow, and I had read this thread 10 times at least over the last week or so

Best mod I have done so far as out temperature is falling and I don't have a garage. Should be able to try them out tomorrow morning when I go to work at 0630 hrs...
Thanks Geoff! I'm glad you found the write-up helpful. It is definitely that time of year again...the temp was 30° when I got in my truck this morning - windshield and mirrors were frozen over, but with some defrost and the Heated Mirrors, it was gone in a couple minutes.

Products Discussed in this Thread