Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OEM Heated Mirrors DIY mod

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-2011, 09:11 AM   #41
2012Taco is a splendid one to behold2012Taco is a splendid one to behold2012Taco is a splendid one to behold2012Taco is a splendid one to behold2012Taco is a splendid one to behold2012Taco is a splendid one to behold2012Taco is a splendid one to behold

2012Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up man, I look forward to getting the parts to do this!
Old 12-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #42
06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold

Name: Ryan
06RadiantRed's Tacoma Gallery
Where and how much did you guys purchase the actual "Heated Mirror" dash switch? I am probably being blind today, sorry if its right in my face but I didnt see it in the list of parts. Was it a specific year/vehicle switch?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #43
84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
84Hilux's Tacoma Gallery
2003 Highlander switch- 84871-48030. Comes with green bulb, so you have to order orange bulb 90011-01058.

Around $60 for switch and $4 for bulb. Can order online or from dealer.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #44
06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold

Name: Ryan
06RadiantRed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Hilux View Post
2003 Highlander switch- 84871-48030. Comes with green bulb, so you have to order orange bulb 90011-01058.

Around $60 for switch and $4 for bulb. Can order online or from dealer.
Ok great, thanks! And that is not the mirror controller right? That is the heat controller? The website part description doesn't really explain what it does
Old 01-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #45
84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
84Hilux's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah- heat control with built-in timer. Need to use a relay too- don't run the mirrors directly through the switch (too much current). See the wiring diagrams at the start of this post.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #46
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
I did this install this weekend, followed the steps and it took me about 5+ hrs, not too bad. Everything seems to be working, just dont have any frost or snow to try these out in. It has been about 40 to 65 here for the past few days, this time last year we had a foot of snow on the ground.

Anyway, I turned them on and let them run for a little while, they got a little warm, not hot. I will wait for the first snow/frost to try them again. But I was wondering if anyone else has installed them and found that they arent all that "hot"?

Overall this is a nice and easy clean install too.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #47
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
Toyota Terminal Leads (x5) Part No. 82998-12340 = $5/ea. ($30)
I have an alternate for anyone trying to do this mod, I recently bought these terminals from BMotorSport and they worked great, but BM charges ~$3 in shipping, $3 for "small orders" and then $0.29 per terminal. So 6 terminals cost you $8, or ~$1.25 each. Much less than the Toyota ones, but still a bit crazy for a $0.30 terminal.

So I have sets of 6 terminals that I will sell for $5.00 shipped via USPS anywhere CONUS. That works out to ~$0.85 per terminal. Paypal Gift, or USPS MO, just PM me for details.

Also, sorry if trying to sell stuff here is against the rules.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #48
Mudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mudman's Tacoma Gallery
Some heavy stuff right here. I was actually just telling myself the other day how awesome it would be to have heated mirrors.

Thanks for posting!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #50
2011TRDSPORT is on a distinguished road
Name: Len
2011TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the mirrors and ran the wiring on Friday night at work. Now I'm just waiting for the terminals from goufcustom. I should be done some time this week.

Tip: Be really careful while installing the Sienna mirrors. I managed to scratch the passenger side one a bit just moving it around on my tool box (rubber mat) during the install. The surface seems pretty delicate. Masking tape might be a good idea until they're on the truck.

Other than that, everything went well. Can't wait to get the switch hooked up!
Old 02-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #52
All right. I believe ya. But my Tommy Gun don't!
disc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

disc0monkey's Tacoma Gallery
sucks bro its 60* here, but i was poisoned yesterday and trying not to move blah
Old 03-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #53
Gromov is on a distinguished road
Gromov's Tacoma Gallery
would 18 gauge wires be enough for the install, or should i go bigger? Will be installing this in my FJ
Old 03-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #54
Gromov's Tacoma Gallery
And also, 1 and 2 ports on the switch...I dont have the dimmer on my FJ, what do i do? (i can feel that this potentially is a dumb question, just dont want to burn my car to the ground )

I assume one of them ports will need the 12 volts from the illumination when you switch your park lights on
Another one is ground but please correct me if im wrong
Old 03-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #55
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CtryBoyInMT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromov View Post
And also, 1 and 2 ports on the switch...I dont have the dimmer on my FJ, what do i do? (i can feel that this potentially is a dumb question, just dont want to burn my car to the ground )

I assume one of them ports will need the 12 volts from the illumination when you switch your park lights on
Another one is ground but please correct me if im wrong
I won't correct you. You are correct. They are Non-polarity, so you don't have to worry which one you use as +12V or Ground.
Do all FJ's not have a dimming backlights? I could of swore my friend's FJ has them. I would just take power from a nearby switch or unused connector and then you don't have to think about it.

18Ga. will be fine. Thats what I used. 16ga may be better, but may not fit through the mirror housing.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:42 AM   #56
Gromov's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtryBoyInMT View Post
I won't correct you. You are correct. They are Non-polarity, so you don't have to worry which one you use as +12V or Ground.
Do all FJ's not have a dimming backlights? I could of swore my friend's FJ has them. I would just take power from a nearby switch or unused connector and then you don't have to think about it.

18Ga. will be fine. Thats what I used. 16ga may be better, but may not fit through the mirror housing.
Thanks! My FJ is Mid Eastern version and they just don't have the dimmer option, regardless of the convenience packages. Not sure why, but i'm thinking that it is a regulatory thing in US, even if i had one, i would have never touched it anyways.

So my next question: i'm planning on adding some LEDs to light up the area under the dash. I'm a bit freaked out about soldering stuff to other switches and circuits and not a big fan of tapping the wires (i'm weird) so apparently there's an empty fuse slot behind the drivers kick panel that powers up with the park lights.

Would it be OK to wire 1 or 2 there?
Old 03-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #57
Gromov's Tacoma Gallery
And another question:

So i've soldered one of the sumitomo terminals to 18Ga wire, shrink wrapped it and inserted into the switch plug, locked the little plastic thing on the top and when I tried to insert the plug into a switch it just ejected the terminal back.

any tricks??
Old 03-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #58
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks! My FJ is Mid Eastern version and they just don't have the dimmer option, regardless of the convenience packages. Not sure why, but i'm thinking that it is a regulatory thing in US, even if i had one, i would have never touched it anyways.

So my next question: i'm planning on adding some LEDs to light up the area under the dash. I'm a bit freaked out about soldering stuff to other switches and circuits and not a big fan of tapping the wires (i'm weird) so apparently there's an empty fuse slot behind the drivers kick panel that powers up with the park lights.

Would it be OK to wire 1 or 2 there?
Gromov,

I don't think the dimmer switch would affect this mod, but it will only be illuminated when your instrument/dash lights are on. That's my best guess, but I haven't seen/heard of anyone wiring without the dimmer wires hooked up. A good test I can perform would be to unhook my dimmer wires to the Heated Mirror switch and see how the operation works (which I can do this weekend).

As far as the empty fuse slot goes, my recommendation would be to grab your Multimeter and test which empty fuse slots are +12v and are switched with the ignition (not a constant circuit). If you have an empty that is 12v switched you could safely use a fuse tap without disturbing or tapping any other existing circuit. As long as your draw doesn't exceed the 10amp maximum the fuse-tap provides, you will be good.

I'm not 100% sure about the LED wiring in conjunction with this mod, but it is highly unlikely that you would exceed 10amps running the mirror mod and LEDs simultaneously, so they could theoretically share the same fuse-tap/circuit.

Quote:
And another question:

So i've soldered one of the sumitomo terminals to 18Ga wire, shrink wrapped it and inserted into the switch plug, locked the little plastic thing on the top and when I tried to insert the plug into a switch it just ejected the terminal back.

any tricks??
I used 16ga. wire when I did this, and it was VERY snug, and took some "convincing" to get the Sumitomo leads to fit into the plug. I found that when sliding the terminals into the plug, I felt a "click" when it was fully seated and flush with the plug face. This was the same for all terminals I plugged in. There was a definitely an audible "CLICK" when it was full inserted and seated. After all the terminals were fully seated and clicked-in, I locked them in position with the top plug lock/clip.

I hope this helps. This will be the first time I've heard of this mod being done on an FJ, so good luck to you friend!

Keep me posted, and let me know if you have additional questions.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #59
fjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shed
fjrmurph's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up for sure. this is one MOD i need before the snow flies next winter
Old 03-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #60
Gromov's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Benson, yeah this morning I tried to test fit it again and it worked i.e. switch didn't push the terminal out, however the plug couldn't go all the way in because i've put too much solder on it lol. So yeah, i guess i figured it all out for now and everything seems relatively clear.

yeah, the only difference is that I will be wiring this to a generic heat pad rather than OEM heated mirror. There are no heated mirrors on FJ for US and Mid East versions and some company, is producing them in US for something crazy like $270 a pair. There's also a JDM FJ, that does have heated mirror, but I just couldnt get my hands on those...will see how it goes with Burco pads, lots of folks did on FJs and seems to work ok. The only difference is I havent seen anybody use the OEM switch, everybody wires these to rear defog button which is the easiest option.

I'll post if I run in to other difficulties thanks

Products Discussed in this Thread