1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Heated Mirrors DIY mod

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Benson X, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Dec 29, 2011 at 8:11 AM
    2012Taco

2012Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD
    OME 886's & Dakar's & LR UCA's, LT265/75 Duratrac's on Countersteer Offroads, 100RCC, ARB 50 fridge/freezer, ARB bullbar w/ Warn 9.5xps, dual battery setup, on board air and water, PrInSu topper rack carrying the gear and more to come!
    Great write up man, I look forward to getting the parts to do this!

2. Dec 30, 2011 at 12:46 PM
    06RadiantRed

06RadiantRed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    CA-Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road - RadRed!!
    ICON ext. Travel Coilovers, TC UCAs, Fox 2.0 FJ Rear Shox + 2"AAL rear
    Where and how much did you guys purchase the actual "Heated Mirror" dash switch? I am probably being blind today, sorry if its right in my face but I didnt see it in the list of parts. Was it a specific year/vehicle switch?

Thanks!

3. Dec 30, 2011 at 2:37 PM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    2003 Highlander switch- 84871-48030. Comes with green bulb, so you have to order orange bulb 90011-01058.

Around $60 for switch and $4 for bulb. Can order online or from dealer.

4. Dec 30, 2011 at 2:41 PM
    06RadiantRed

06RadiantRed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    CA-Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road - RadRed!!
    ICON ext. Travel Coilovers, TC UCAs, Fox 2.0 FJ Rear Shox + 2"AAL rear
    Ok great, thanks! And that is not the mirror controller right? That is the heat controller? The website part description doesn't really explain what it does

5. Jan 1, 2012 at 7:45 AM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    Yeah- heat control with built-in timer. Need to use a relay too- don't run the mirrors directly through the switch (too much current). See the wiring diagrams at the start of this post.

6. Jan 9, 2012 at 5:42 AM
    goufcustom

goufcustom 7.62x63mm

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    I did this install this weekend, followed the steps and it took me about 5+ hrs, not too bad. Everything seems to be working, just dont have any frost or snow to try these out in. It has been about 40 to 65 here for the past few days, this time last year we had a foot of snow on the ground.

Anyway, I turned them on and let them run for a little while, they got a little warm, not hot. I will wait for the first snow/frost to try them again. But I was wondering if anyone else has installed them and found that they arent all that "hot"?

Overall this is a nice and easy clean install too.

7. Jan 10, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    goufcustom

goufcustom 7.62x63mm

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    I have an alternate for anyone trying to do this mod, I recently bought these terminals from BMotorSport and they worked great, but BM charges ~$3 in shipping, $3 for "small orders" and then $0.29 per terminal. So 6 terminals cost you $8, or ~$1.25 each. Much less than the Toyota ones, but still a bit crazy for a $0.30 terminal.

So I have sets of 6 terminals that I will sell for $5.00 shipped via USPS anywhere CONUS. That works out to ~$0.85 per terminal. Paypal Gift, or USPS MO, just PM me for details.

[​IMG]

Also, sorry if trying to sell stuff here is against the rules.

8. Jan 10, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    Mudman

Mudman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cerritos
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 TRD Sport
    Some heavy stuff right here. I was actually just telling myself the other day how awesome it would be to have heated mirrors.

Thanks for posting!

9. Jan 13, 2012 at 9:43 AM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    Great write up. On my list of things to do. Thanks for sharing the info.

10. Jan 15, 2012 at 9:56 PM
    2011TRDSPORT

2011TRDSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Len or Lenny
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport. Magnetic Gray
    2" front and rear.
    I installed the mirrors and ran the wiring on Friday night at work. Now I'm just waiting for the terminals from goufcustom. I should be done some time this week.

Tip: Be really careful while installing the Sienna mirrors. I managed to scratch the passenger side one a bit just moving it around on my tool box (rubber mat) during the install. The surface seems pretty delicate. Masking tape might be a good idea until they're on the truck.

Other than that, everything went well. Can't wait to get the switch hooked up!

11. Feb 23, 2012 at 7:13 AM
    Benson X

Benson X [OP] My build thread sucks...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    If you don't draw blood, you're doing it wrong!
    Bump for those who haven't seen this yet. It's still cold enough for these to be useful, I used mine this morning!

12. Feb 23, 2012 at 10:19 AM
    disc0monkey

disc0monkey All right. I believe ya. But my Tommy Gun don't!

Member:
    sucks bro its 60* here, but i was poisoned yesterday and trying not to move blah

13. Mar 5, 2012 at 2:57 PM
    Gromov

Gromov Member

Member:
    would 18 gauge wires be enough for the install, or should i go bigger? Will be installing this in my FJ :)

14. Mar 5, 2012 at 3:02 PM
    Gromov

Gromov Member

Member:
    And also, 1 and 2 ports on the switch...I dont have the dimmer on my FJ, what do i do? (i can feel that this potentially is a dumb question, just dont want to burn my car to the ground :D)

I assume one of them ports will need the 12 volts from the illumination when you switch your park lights on
    Another one is ground but please correct me if im wrong

15. Mar 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

CtryBoyInMT Lifetime Member

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD V6 Access Manual TRD Off-Road
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    I won't correct you. You are correct. They are Non-polarity, so you don't have to worry which one you use as +12V or Ground.
    Do all FJ's not have a dimming backlights? I could of swore my friend's FJ has them. I would just take power from a nearby switch or unused connector and then you don't have to think about it.

18Ga. will be fine. Thats what I used. 16ga may be better, but may not fit through the mirror housing.

16. Mar 6, 2012 at 3:42 AM
    Gromov

Gromov Member

Member:
    Thanks! My FJ is Mid Eastern version and they just don't have the dimmer option, regardless of the convenience packages. Not sure why, but i'm thinking that it is a regulatory thing in US, even if i had one, i would have never touched it anyways.

So my next question: i'm planning on adding some LEDs to light up the area under the dash. I'm a bit freaked out about soldering stuff to other switches and circuits and not a big fan of tapping the wires (i'm weird) so apparently there's an empty fuse slot behind the drivers kick panel that powers up with the park lights.

Would it be OK to wire 1 or 2 there?

17. Mar 6, 2012 at 2:28 PM
    Gromov

Gromov Member

Member:
    And another question:

So i've soldered one of the sumitomo terminals to 18Ga wire, shrink wrapped it and inserted into the switch plug, locked the little plastic thing on the top and when I tried to insert the plug into a switch it just ejected the terminal back.

any tricks??

18. Mar 7, 2012 at 7:28 AM
    Benson X

Benson X [OP] My build thread sucks...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    If you don't draw blood, you're doing it wrong!
    Gromov,

I don't think the dimmer switch would affect this mod, but it will only be illuminated when your instrument/dash lights are on. That's my best guess, but I haven't seen/heard of anyone wiring without the dimmer wires hooked up. A good test I can perform would be to unhook my dimmer wires to the Heated Mirror switch and see how the operation works (which I can do this weekend).

As far as the empty fuse slot goes, my recommendation would be to grab your Multimeter and test which empty fuse slots are +12v and are switched with the ignition (not a constant circuit). If you have an empty that is 12v switched you could safely use a fuse tap without disturbing or tapping any other existing circuit. As long as your draw doesn't exceed the 10amp maximum the fuse-tap provides, you will be good.

I'm not 100% sure about the LED wiring in conjunction with this mod, but it is highly unlikely that you would exceed 10amps running the mirror mod and LEDs simultaneously, so they could theoretically share the same fuse-tap/circuit.

I used 16ga. wire when I did this, and it was VERY snug, and took some "convincing" to get the Sumitomo leads to fit into the plug. I found that when sliding the terminals into the plug, I felt a "click" when it was fully seated and flush with the plug face. This was the same for all terminals I plugged in. There was a definitely an audible "CLICK" when it was full inserted and seated. After all the terminals were fully seated and clicked-in, I locked them in position with the top plug lock/clip.

I hope this helps. This will be the first time I've heard of this mod being done on an FJ, so good luck to you friend! :thumbsup:

Keep me posted, and let me know if you have additional questions.
    :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2016
  19. Mar 7, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    fjrmurph

fjrmurph Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great write up for sure. this is one MOD i need before the snow flies next winter

20. Mar 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM
    Gromov

Gromov Member

Member:
    Thanks Benson, yeah this morning I tried to test fit it again and it worked i.e. switch didn't push the terminal out, however the plug couldn't go all the way in because i've put too much solder on it lol. So yeah, i guess i figured it all out for now and everything seems relatively clear.

yeah, the only difference is that I will be wiring this to a generic heat pad rather than OEM heated mirror. There are no heated mirrors on FJ for US and Mid East versions and some company, is producing them in US for something crazy like $270 a pair. There's also a JDM FJ, that does have heated mirror, but I just couldnt get my hands on those...will see how it goes with Burco pads, lots of folks did on FJs and seems to work ok. The only difference is I havent seen anybody use the OEM switch, everybody wires these to rear defog button which is the easiest option.

I'll post if I run in to other difficulties:) thanks

To Top