Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Stuck.. Cross Lanes, WV - Need Help

Old 12-19-2011, 07:52 AM   #61
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
OP,
Old 12-19-2011, 08:32 AM   #62
Robo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to behold
Law Enforcement: Deputy
Robo02cop's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed....Good Luck!! Feed the wolves an update already!!!
Old 12-19-2011, 08:43 AM   #63
Pay it Forward
Graham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant future

Graham's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Is that a house and a road in the background? Why don't you just turn right and go over there instead of up the hill?
What? Oh jesus...
Old 12-19-2011, 09:30 AM   #65
JEA86 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeremy
JEA86's Tacoma Gallery
if you have the 4 banger try the yellow wire mod, i am in beckley WV but i dont have a winch i will be taking my CRX to charleston tonight if you need me to help somehow shoot me a PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #66
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
i still dont see how you cant make it up.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #67
brett1586 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brett
brett1586's Tacoma Gallery
I'm about an hour and a half away....
Old 12-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #68
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, that hill looks plenty slippery to me. I see why you're having trouble. But I'm 3000 miles away.

So let's try this again. First, and most important, shift is in mental attitude. Right now, you're in "hopeless" mode. "someone please come and get me." Well - that ain't happening. YOU need to get yourself out of the trouble that YOU got into. Not to put too fine a point on it: it's time to harden-the-fuck-up.

Once you've driven out the "hopeless" demons, then it's time to look at the problem with fresh eyes.

To summarize:

Don't drive in the ruts - drive offset from them. Picking a different line out of the "soft stuff" where the tires can bite is key. Walk up the hill looking for the best, firmest, least slipperly line you can put your tires on. Think about road building. Get out into the woods and find rocks and branches you can lay down to put more support and traction into the deepest, most slippery, most troublesome ruts.

Air down your tires to about 12 psi if you haven't already. This makes a BIG difference for traction.

Pull out the parking brake for two or three notches (poor man's limited slip) to help equalize the torque across the open rear differential.

Agressive use of the gas pedal.

"wiggle" the steering wheel, side to side, when you feel you're starting to slip. That'll help the front wheels "bite" on the side of the slippery rut they're starting to dig themselves.

STILL stuck? Ok, you've proven you can walk out and walk back in. Time to come back better armed. Go down to your local 4 wheel part$ and buy a hi lift jack with the come-along self recovery kit, and a spare winch cable. Hook that shit up, and start notch-by-painful-notch pulling your truck up that hill. It'll take a while, but every click of the handle gets you half-an-inch closer to freedom.

Good luck, man. It's harder than you think it is - but it's not impossible, and you've got more in you than you think you do. Time to dig deep and find it.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #69
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Yeah, that hill looks plenty slippery to me. I see why you're having trouble. But I'm 3000 miles away.

So let's try this again. First, and most important, shift is in mental attitude. Right now, you're in "hopeless" mode. "someone please come and get me." Well - that ain't happening. YOU need to get yourself out of the trouble that YOU got into. Not to put too fine a point on it: it's time to harden-the-fuck-up.

Once you've driven out the "hopeless" demons, then it's time to look at the problem with fresh eyes.

To summarize:

Don't drive in the ruts - drive offset from them. Picking a different line out of the "soft stuff" where the tires can bite is key. Walk up the hill looking for the best, firmest, least slipperly line you can put your tires on. Think about road building. Get out into the woods and find rocks and branches you can lay down to put more support and traction into the deepest, most slippery, most troublesome ruts.

Air down your tires to about 12 psi if you haven't already. This makes a BIG difference for traction.

Pull out the parking brake for two or three notches (poor man's limited slip) to help equalize the torque across the open rear differential.

"wiggle" the steering wheel, side to side, when you feel you're starting to slip. That'll help the front wheels "bite" on the side of the slippery rut they're starting to dig themselves.

STILL stuck? Ok, you've proven you can walk out and walk back in. Time to come back better armed. Go down to your local 4 wheel part$ and buy a hi lift jack with the come-along self recovery kit, and a spare winch cable. Hook that shit up, and start notch-by-painful-notch pulling your truck up that hill. It'll take a while, but every click of the handle gets you half-an-inch closer to freedom.

Good luck, man. It's harder than you think it is - but it's not impossible, and you've got more in you than you think you do. Time to dig deep and find it.
Nicely Stated!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #70
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Dang Steve! That was a good read, never knew about the ebrake mod!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #71
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
NicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nic
NicNac22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

To summarize:

THIS!!!! then get back to us!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #72
Big things have small beginnings
staticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Commo: You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
staticsquelch's Tacoma Gallery
So entertaining, like a movie.

You make it out yet OP?
Old 12-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #73
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by staticsquelch View Post
So entertaining, like a movie.

You make it out yet OP?
The sequel ...
pass some popcorn

Old 12-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #74
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I take the fact that he's not posting up as a good sign that he's out there busting his ass to get free...
Old 12-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #75
brett1586 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brett
brett1586's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I take the fact that he's not posting up as a good sign that he's out there busting his ass to get free...
One can only hope.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #76
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
or he met this dude when he called a wrecker
Old 12-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #77
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
something like this happened to me once last year in my excursion, except i wasn't wheeling, i was trying to make it back up a gravel/dirt fire road that led to my inlaw's cabin by a lake. unfortunately it was winter time and the fire road was, well, damn slippery, what with ice and snow all over the place, not to mention pretty steep on a curvy part in one place.

i was stuck for two days. my first choice was tire chains, my second choice was a pull pal. the chains were cheaper so i tried those first. they were not true "chains" but more like aircraft grade wire with tiny springs attached to them for grip. bought one pair for the rear and tried that first. "almost" made it out, but not quite. bought the second pair of chains for the front. that worked.

we now keep those chains around for the next fool who tries to make it down there and back in the winter. not sure that would work in mud and ruts like this guy, but he can, as someone mentioned, get a manual pulling device like a pull pal, and inch by inch get himself unstuck. sucks, but sometimes you have to learn the hard way.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #78
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
NicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nic
NicNac22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namyo View Post
or he met this dude when he called a wrecker

or Wrong Turn....i believe it was set in WV
Old 12-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #79
danimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud of
danimal92sport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

To summarize:

Post of the year. Well stated!
Old 12-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #80
poynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
poynter's Tacoma Gallery
Buy one of these next time you have an extra $30