Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

step by step removal and installation of e-locker 3rd member

Old 03-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #201
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnym View Post
Thanks for the write up Monkey
Old 03-31-2013, 05:58 AM   #202
taco?
MotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: emt/cal fire
Name: Nate
MotoXdoer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Just thought I'd throw this in here.

Fucking seal was all crooked in there, the flange sealing surface looked good and the seal looked good but the whole thing was cocked sideways, noticeably. Probably could have just sat it in there fully and square and it would have worked but I replaced the whole thing and cleaned everything up. Chase at ECGS sent this out for free, new nut and seal, got it quick! Easy because I have a solid sleeve. 200ft lbs and stake it. I also threw a little RTV on the splines for good measure but there was no signs or leakage from there when I took it apart.
I had to do the same thing. The pinion flange had scores on it and the spring on the pinion seal came off. I used a flat head to get it out and tapped the new seal in with a drift and hammer. I then cleaned the flange with emery cloth and reinstalled. Impact gun at 200ft lbs. No leaks in almost a year
Old 04-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #203
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, this thread is awesome. Unfortunately it just shows me that I'm not mechanically inclined to do this. lol

I'll stick to oil changes and air filters... when my free 24 month service ends.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #204
ckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Great thread! Fixing to throw a ARB locker in the rear on mine. And the front will be done later this year.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #205
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavok View Post
Damn, this thread is awesome. Unfortunately it just shows me that I'm not mechanically inclined to do this. lol

I'll stick to oil changes and air filters... when my free 24 month service ends.
You can do it, I promise!
Old 05-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #206
fka unregistered lurker...
munkel is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
munkel's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the write up, just did it! How long did you wait before filling with fluid?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 05-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #207
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I waited no time to add the fluid, never had any issues with leaks. But I'm sure others will chime in to say to wait a few hours for the RTV sealant to cure
Old 05-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #209
Probably should'nt have done that.
4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
4banger4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You've done this enough times, maybe you can answer my question. I used your method of unbolting the brake line hangers so i didnt have to crack the lines and after i got everything bolted back up i noticed my back brakes were rubbing horribly before i hooked the ebrake back up. i had to go inside the drums and adjust everything so they dont rub when im not on the brakes, but now it feels like i dont have any back brakes and my is at full adjustment and its barley grabbing. Just seeing if youve ever run into this issue
Old 05-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #210

munkel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4banger4x4 View Post
You've done this enough times, maybe you can answer my question. I used your method of unbolting the brake line hangers so i didnt have to crack the lines and after i got everything bolted back up i noticed my back brakes were rubbing horribly before i hooked the ebrake back up. i had to go inside the drums and adjust everything so they dont rub when im not on the brakes, but now it feels like i dont have any back brakes and my is at full adjustment and its barley grabbing. Just seeing if youve ever run into this issue
check the angle on your rear brake proportioning valve maybe?
Old 05-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #211
Power Top

Quote:
I have never had this issue before. And unless you disassembled the brake shoes to remove the ebrake cable I don't know what the issue would be.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #212

munkel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
"The right stuff" rtv cures in 2 minutes. I think the regular rtv maybe takes an hour. I fill it up at the end once everything else is buttoned up and have had no issues
Thanks, I was worried because the instructions stated:
"Finger tighten until material begins to squeeze out around flange. Allow to dry for one hour then retighten 1/4 to 1/2 turn. 4. Silicone will skin over in one hour and fully cure in 24 hours under normal conditions. Allow more time for cold or very dry conditions."
I was worried I had to wait 24 hours since there would likely be some RTV in the rear end.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #213
4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
I have never had this issue before. And unless you disassembled the brake shoes to remove the ebrake cable I don't know what the issue would be.
i never touched the drums. all i did was pull each axle out and slide them back in. Its pissing me off and im gonna end up buying a disc conversion because of these stupid drums
Old 05-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #214
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
When you say it's at full adjustment, are you sure you adjusted the right direction?
Old 05-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
When you say it's at full adjustment, are you sure you adjusted the right direction?
Yes. I'm not a complete fuck tard
Old 05-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #216
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
^

Dive in reverse real fast and slam on the brakes... should set the rear... although not positive this works on our trucks
Old 05-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #217

munkel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes. I'm not a complete fuck tard
No one said or thought you were.....until now.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #218
Power Top

Old 05-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #219

munkel's Tacoma Gallery
So I just filled and was going to go for a test drive, ABS and rear locker light are on. Hmmmm. I know I moved the fork back over, maybe it didn't seat correctly. Any thoughts?
Old 05-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #220
Power Top

I woukd make sure that the connectors are pushed in all the way, you shojkd have heard and felt a click. Also, have you tried to engage and disengage the locker while driving? It would be safe and harmless to do on pavement if driving in a straight line. You can also remove the locker motor to try and move the fork again.