Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

step by step removal and installation of e-locker 3rd member

Old 12-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #21
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
how long did this take to get everything apart??
For someone who's attempting this for the first time a would say only a few hours. Im at the point where I can remove and install everything and back on the road in about an hours time
Old 12-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #22
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
With air tools and the rest of the proper tools, and knowing what you're doing... not too long.

I'd agree with an hour.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #23
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...mber-swap.html
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...hell-swap.html

Here are two more good write ups. Yours is better but it's always nice to have more pictures.
That site is so fucking annoying! Ad this, ad that, pop-up here, etc. I NEVER click on anything at that site including next page. Ooops, I lied, I click the close window button.

/rant
Old 12-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #24
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Register and less ads. Or just don't click the link.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #25
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
That site is so fucking annoying! Ad this, ad that, pop-up here, etc. I NEVER click on anything at that site including next page. Ooops, I lied, I click the close window button.

/rant
Agreed... back in the day that place was awesome for tech. But now I don't even go there anymore. Even with all of my pop up blockers and ad blockers I still get random stuff that gets through ...annoying!

I am registerd over there...but I won't pay to be over there
Old 12-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #26

I copied it all over to TW for you.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ml#post4220408

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ml#post4220454
Old 12-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #27
Power Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Thanks!
Old 12-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #28
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome completed write up. Nice!
Old 12-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #29
Power Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Awesome completed write up. Nice!
thanks!

it will be complete when i add the write up for installing the diff.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #30
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
thanks!

it will be complete when i add the write up for installing the diff.
Step Last: Reverse order of all steps to reinstall diff
Old 12-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #31
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
just something i did that i couldnt tell if you did.

When i pull the axles out i support the brake drum so the axle doesnt rest on the seal... it may prevent having to do the job again if you spring a leak
Old 12-21-2011, 04:25 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
just something i did that i couldnt tell if you did.

When i pull the axles out i support the brake drum so the axle doesnt rest on the seal... it may prevent having to do the job again if you spring a leak
Preferred method, but if you're gentle it shouldn't bother the seals. Other option is to take the axles out of the housing entirely.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #33
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Preferred method, but if you're gentle it shouldn't bother the seals. Other option is to take the axles out of the housing entirely.
But to do that you have just added at least another hour or two to the job:

Dismantle the brakes to get the parking brake cable out
Disconnect the brake line (and now you have to bleed the brakes)

If you have to do the rear brakes at the same time then fine, otherwise Tom's got some good tips!
Old 12-21-2011, 09:19 AM   #34
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i dont care how gentle you are if you plan on walking away for a few days. like if you dont have a third ready to go...

leaving the axles sit on the seals would not be good. Better to just support them IMO
Old 12-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #35
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I just slid the axles back into position, so they're resting on their installation lugs.

Easier than finding a "just the right height" block or box.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #36

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
I just slid the axles back into position, so they're resting on their installation lugs.

meh, i just used other jack stands...

i have 4. two under the axle two under the brake drums
Old 12-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #37
Power Top

Quote:

bingo! as easy as that!

i think i will go edit and add a note to do this step if the rear end is going to be a part for any amount of time.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #38
Ban Pending

Quote:
meh, i just used other jack stands...

i have 4. two under the axle two under the brake drums
Good call but the temperatures where you live rubber bands are considered non-elastic!!! lol But really micro cracks are the things that propagate in to real cracks so any additional thoughtfulness into not stretching the seals is effort that is not wasted.

Much like Tom's marking the mating points of the pinion flange to u-joint flange. Technically not required but marking and re-assembling in same position is a sign of a good mechanic.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #39

Quote:
But to do that you have just added at least another hour or two to the job:

Dismantle the brakes to get the parking brake cable out
Disconnect the brake line (and now you have to bleed the brakes)

If you have to do the rear brakes at the same time then fine, otherwise Tom's got some good tips!
Agreed, which is why it's not the "preferred method"

Quote:
i dont care how gentle you are if you plan on walking away for a few days. like if you dont have a third ready to go...

leaving the axles sit on the seals would not be good. Better to just support them IMO
Also agreed.

Quote:

Also agreed, plus this gives you the benefit of not having to disconnect the brake lines.

Quote:
Technically not required but marking and re-assembling in same position is a sign of a good mechanic.
Nothing wrong with it, but you'll pardon me if I skip it on trail-fixes.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #40
Faryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mic
Faryota's Tacoma Gallery
Wow more then I would do! But a great how to!