Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

step by step removal and installation of e-locker 3rd member

Old 12-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #41
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
thanks
Old 12-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #42
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Is that a HF floor jack?
Old 12-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #43
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Is that a HF floor jack?
why yes it is lol, and the jack stands are as well..

it's a 2 ton low profile HF jack. works great and i have had no issues with it. there's also a few at my dealership that have been around for years and they are still working great. seems like any orange colored jack from HF works great without any issues. just stay away from the blue and silver colored ones, just from my experience anyways
Old 12-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #44
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
I dont know what oil you are using but no wonder you are breaking thirds. That oil supposed to be clean
Old 12-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #45
Power Top

that's motorcraft gear oil coming that you see coming out. normally i use Royal Purple, but since i was in between diff's (this is my spare that broke) i was using generic oil in the mean time because the good stuff costs some coin.

edit: that's my catch all bucket and it as a bit of everything in it since it hasn't been emptied in a while. all considering, i think the condition of the gear oil that drained out was in good condition.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #46
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
why yes it is lol, and the jack stands are as well..

it's a 2 ton low profile HF jack. works great and i have had no issues with it. there's also a few at my dealership that have been around for years and they are still working great. seems like any orange colored jack from HF works great without any issues. just stay away from the blue and silver colored ones, just from my experience anyways
Lol sweet. I love to wander at HF.

Thanks for the review. I've been wanting one.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #47
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
that's motorcraft gear oil coming that you see coming out. normally i use Royal Purple, but since i was in between diff's (this is my spare that broke) i was using generic oil in the mean time because the good stuff costs some coin.

edit: that's my catch all bucket and it as a bit of everything in it since it hasn't been emptied in a while. all considering, i think the condition of the gear oil that drained out was in good condition.
That oil is crap, it should not look like that. (not before 60k on it) I wouldn't use that oil again and just go with sync.

Also dont know if it is a picture but that diff looks like it has wear marks in wrong places. It looks misaligned and that could have been contributing factor to break up. If you look on where wear marks are pinion was riding on the edge of the ring and thats where tooth had broken. So bad oil plus bad setup may have been a reason why you lost that diff so quickly. Now it could be that after last damage something in carrier is crooked so you are probably better off just getting whole another third.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:57 AM   #48
Power Top

This is my original 3rd that came with my truck. I use it as my spare when the other one is broke. But now they are both broken. How you see it is how it came from the factory at Toyota. But I agree, the wear marks are questionable on the ring, the pinion is just fine
Old 12-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #49
ECGS has a brilliant futureECGS has a brilliant futureECGS has a brilliant futureECGS has a brilliant futureECGS has a brilliant futureECGS has a brilliant futureECGS has a brilliant futureECGS has a brilliant futureECGS has a brilliant futureECGS has a brilliant futureECGS has a brilliant future

Name: Chase
ECGS's Tacoma Gallery
Don't use royal purple ever under any circumstance!!! Likely the worst gear oil ever made. 15k diffs with royal purple look like they have 200k on them. It thins out and provides no gear cushioning and does not control heat.

Good write up, a couple of options to save time and aggravation. If you remove the brake line bracket Clip, you can cut a line just big enough for the hardline to sneak up through on the bracket, this way you do not have to disconnect the actual brakeline just move the caliper out of the way, and you wont have to bleed the brakes. Also removing the Ebrake cable bracket on control arm gives you enough room to slide shaft out of diff for removal and then as said slide them back in once diff is removed to keep them off the seal.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #50
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECGS View Post
Don't use royal purple ever under any circumstance!!! Likely the worst gear oil ever made. 15k diffs with royal purple look like they have 200k on them. It thins out and provides no gear cushioning and does not control heat.
got a recommended brand?
Old 12-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #51
ECGS has a brilliant futureECGS has a brilliant futureECGS has a brilliant futureECGS has a brilliant futureECGS has a brilliant futureECGS has a brilliant futureECGS has a brilliant futureECGS has a brilliant futureECGS has a brilliant futureECGS has a brilliant futureECGS has a brilliant future

ECGS's Tacoma Gallery
Lucas 85w140 Dyno oil. Do not waste your money on synthetics in Ring and pinion applications. Amsoil and Mobil 1 likely have no negative effect that we can see but no gain and you pay for it.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #52

Sorry to pester you Chase but what are the pros/cons of 85w-140 over a 90 wt (stock)?
Old 12-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #53
No...me no have no more lemon pledge
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry to pester you Chase but what are the pros/cons of 85w-140 over a 90 wt (stock)?
x2

...and subd for future reference
Old 12-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #54
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Generally speaking, heavier weight gear oil will have greater tolerances for (and provide better protection during) stressful use (high heat, high force, etc.) such as will be seen when towing, offroading, and doing other truck things.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #55

With the downside of added resistance, no?

(not that that really matters at this point)
Old 12-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #56
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
With the downside of added resistance, no?

Correct. Typically, mileage suffers a little bit. But then, you didn't buy a truck for mileage, did you? If you did, you fucked up
Old 12-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #57

I can tell you I didn't throw 35s on for mileage.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #58
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECGS View Post
...just move the caliper out of the way...
Oh man if we only could - the drum brakes on these things suck!!!
Old 12-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
Oh man if we only could - the drum brakes on these things suck!!!
Yeah seems like Chase is thinking of FJs/T4Rs
Old 12-23-2011, 08:20 PM   #60

ECGS's Tacoma Gallery
DRUMS!!!! WTF haven't we evolved from these........... well that is a sweet trick for disc brake rears anyway.

As for oil-- 90 weight oil is fine but the 85/140 provides more protection against heat and provides better cushion, holds to the gear better. For Alaska members you may want to run 90 weight otherwise drag is not an issue.