Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Yet another shell thread - Leer vs SnugTop

Old 11-21-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
Yet another shell thread - Leer vs SnugTop

So I've been looking around on Craigslist and TW for a while, and have made some posts about it already. I'm thinking of buying a shell for my 07 DC long bed. I went to a Leer dealer and a Snugtop dealer today as I can't find a used one.

Firstly the Leer guy said I could get a new 100R for $1,289 + tax, which includes installation and wiring.

Then I went to the SnugTop dealer and he said it would cost me about $1950 for a model similar to the 100R (Cab-Hi I believe). He told me that Snugtop are superior, the quality is the best hence Toyota recommend them.

Although I appreciate a quality product, I would also appreciate keeping $600 in my pocket. Does anyone have any opinions on Leer vs Snugtop? And are these prices about aligned with what others on TW have paid?
Old 11-22-2008, 07:57 AM   #2
vwkismet is on a distinguished road
vwkismet's Tacoma Gallery
No Snugtop dealers near me, so I can't compare. I got quotes from the Leer dealer here in NH (no sales tax):

100R - $1095
100XR - $1330
100XL - $1485
100XQ - $1740

Good luck.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:37 PM   #3
I bleed Black and Gold
cheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant future

Name: Adam
cheehab's Tacoma Gallery
Hey I love my Leer cap. My 180 was $1600 with the Thule tracker II system, fold down window and carpet headliner. I also bought mine in NH to save the tax. I definitely love mine, it does everything I need it to. I do wish it had one opening handle in the middle of the door instead of one in each corner, but the locks on the ones with a middle handle seemed pretty flimsy. I've had it about a year and a half and have had no quality issues whatsoever.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:58 PM   #4
bwhit is on a distinguished road
bwhit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheehab View Post
Hey I love my Leer cap. My 180 was $1600 with the Thule tracker II system, fold down window and carpet headliner. I also bought mine in NH to save the tax. I definitely love mine, it does everything I need it to. I do wish it had one opening handle in the middle of the door instead of one in each corner, but the locks on the ones with a middle handle seemed pretty flimsy. I've had it about a year and a half and have had no quality issues whatsoever.
that sounds more like it...I have a snugtop, paid around $2000 w/carpet, fold down window, frameless rear window, no handles(very clean look)turn key window opens, also available w/ keyless entry. Mine was one of their top models, a comparable Leer is going to be a couple hundred bucks less with slight design differences. Snug top invests in the mold and spend a lot more time matching their lids to the truck and proves to be a much cleaner look in my opinion. It's very easy to make the whole truck look bad with a cheap shell. I prefer the snugtop but the upper end leer's look just fine too with a little cash left over. My advice...look at a lot of pics and find as many trucks as you can than decide for yourself. Good luck.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:06 AM   #5
bwhit is on a distinguished road
bwhit's Tacoma Gallery

Old 11-30-2008, 08:37 AM   #6
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhit View Post
that sounds more like it...I have a snugtop, paid around $2000 w/carpet, fold down window, frameless rear window, no handles(very clean look)turn key window opens, also available w/ keyless entry. Mine was one of their top models, a comparable Leer is going to be a couple hundred bucks less with slight design differences. Snug top invests in the mold and spend a lot more time matching their lids to the truck and proves to be a much cleaner look in my opinion. It's very easy to make the whole truck look bad with a cheap shell. I prefer the snugtop but the upper end leer's look just fine too with a little cash left over. My advice...look at a lot of pics and find as many trucks as you can than decide for yourself. Good luck.
Thanks for that info, I was interested to hear that for comparable models there is only about a couple of hundred bucks difference. I guess I wasn't comparing comparable models when the Leer model was $1300 and the Snugtop $2000.

I have since fitted a plastic box into the bed of my truck (discussed in another thread) that will protect some of my stuff from the weather when I drive up to CO. I just can't make up my mind about a shell - I often carry a lot of stuff that would be a nightmare to load through the back/windows of a shell.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:50 AM   #7
obxfishn is a splendid one to beholdobxfishn is a splendid one to beholdobxfishn is a splendid one to beholdobxfishn is a splendid one to beholdobxfishn is a splendid one to beholdobxfishn is a splendid one to behold

obxfishn's Tacoma Gallery
Have you considered a hardtop (lid)? I just got one from A.R.E last year and I love it. I use the shell for hunting season and the hardtop for the summer use. The shell came with the truck as a "Port Installed Shell". I am in the same boat as a lot of shell owners b/c there are no Snugtop dealers anywhere within several hundred miles of my house. Good luck, Im sure you will be happy with either one.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxfishn View Post
Have you considered a hardtop (lid)? I just got one from A.R.E last year and I love it. I use the shell for hunting season and the hardtop for the summer use. The shell came with the truck as a "Port Installed Shell". I am in the same boat as a lot of shell owners b/c there are no Snugtop dealers anywhere within several hundred miles of my house. Good luck, Im sure you will be happy with either one.
Trouble with a hardtop is that I ocasionally carry stuff that are taller than the top of the bedsides - and I think a hardtop would be a bit flimsy left in a semi-open position going down the freeway. At least with the retractable it can be retracted part way (or all the way) if need be. I'm a contractor and often have to carry bags of materials - usually around 50 lbs, as many as the truck will carry. And as we all know, the best place to have the weight is as far forward as possible; loading that under a shell or hard top would be a PITA!
Old 11-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
Willydog is on a distinguished road
Willydog's Tacoma Gallery
Leer vs Snugtop Fit

Hands down the Leer 100R or XR is a way better fit on my 2010 Tacoma Double Cab short-bed ... I've had them both on and there is no comparison. The Snugtop has a much larger bed overhang and just doesn't look good. If your looking for a canopy that meshes with the bed walls and lines of the truck it's a LEER.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:51 PM   #10
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
THEY ARE ALL THE SAME.

I mean. Pretty much. Close enough so its luck of the draw. I have to say, my last 2 were snug-tops because its the only dealer on this island. One hand, apparently you are getting ripped off, I have to get some pretty high end to bust 1000 bucks. On the other, they are not as nice as other brands I've owned. The outside looks ok.. but the build seems weak (or light if you want to consider that?) I would put a cargo basket on my A.R.E. NEVER on my snug tops. You have to get the special snug top to get the strong one.

If I had my druthers, I'd get one of those with the extra large opening. Every time I try to load something larger than normal in my truck, its 1 inch taller than the opening.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #11
Fifthpostulate is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
Fifthpostulate's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheehab View Post
Hey there - I'm thinking of buying this same cap. Another 2+ years have gone by - do you still have the Leer 180 on your tacoma? How's it doing? Paint? Windows? Hinges? Thanks for the time - I hope all is well in Winter Park! Peace