Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2nd Gen Taco 4Runner Heated, Turn Signal, Approach lighting! & Power Fold? YES! (WIP)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-21-2011, 05:10 AM   #1
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Heated, Turn Signal x2, Approach lighting! & Power Fold? Really?

- This is 4Runner MOD-MOD!

I'm Borrowing pics from the original MOD thread found here Another Great read is from HERE That has the Sienna mirror MOD in it

[IMG][/IMG]

I did find this interesting aftermarket control module that I will be getting. It has direct integration to the lock/unlock features... Well, you look!
http://simplycoolshop.com/eng/products/smc.asp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYyql3nD5ms

Part #'s <-thanks Shaggy!
--2010 4Runner RH Mirror Assembly 87910-35A60 $209.07
--2010 4Runner RH Outer Mirror Cover Gloss Black 87915-28060-C0 $37.43
--2010 4Runner LH Mirror Assembly 87940-35A30 $209.07
--2010 4Runner LH Outer Mirror Cover Gloss Black 87945-28060-C0 $37.43
--2003 Highlander Mirror Defrost Switch (only fits in switch bank to left of steering wheel) 84871-48030 $56.96
--Defrost Switch Amber Bulb (switch above comes with red bulb) 90011-01058 $3.59
--Auxilary dash switch below AC ->http://tundrapart.com/lights/auxilia...itch-with-led/
-- Replacement Mirror Adjuster switch with heated/ power fold switch 84870A #1 in the link <- thanks Palehorse1
Diagrams are from muisejt

Tools needed
Torx #25 driver
Soldering Iron
Solder
Heat Shrink Tubbing
Drill 1/4" bit
10mm socket
Screw Driver +
LeatherMan or wire strippers

Prep and Process
Disassemble the Mirrors mounting arms from the 4Runners and yours from the Tacoma. (3 Torx screws)
Discard the 4Runner mount as it is not needed. Also cut the harness off and elongate all the wires. Make note of the color code for each wire. I reused the Tacoma harness for the power mirrors. While your in this area with the door panel off, you can go ahead and ground a few of the wires. either of your Black from the heated mirror(s) & White from the turn signal(s).

This will leave you with 4 wires you need to elongate/ extend - black + Heat, yellow + convenience lighting, Yellow - convenience lighting. That makes 4 total that you need to run with extra wire through the door and grommets.

*quick note here- the only circuit I verified polarity on was the Turn Signals. All the others polarity isn't important.

Using the Fuze tap, I decided to use a drill and make a small hole so I could thread the wire through the top of the fuse block. Looks a little cleaner than the birds nest we might create running the wires in that area.

As the diagram shows, we need to directly tap the wires coming out of the Wiring harness on the left side of the fuse block. I opted to remove the lower dash to gain easier access to them. I disconnected both of the harnesses and followed them to the kick panel area and tapped them there. I make small 1/4 length cuts on the wires just cutting the plastic off to expose the copper wire underneath. Wrap your tap around the area you just cut and solder the connections (3 in total). Cut the blue crimp off the end of the fuse tap and extent the wire about 1.5'. Solder the connection and heat shrink the connection. Feed the wire through the hole you drilled previously. Replace one of the fuses with the 7.5 and a 5or10amp fuse for the heat in the mirrors.

More to come later- POWER FOLDING NEXT!

The removal of the mirror and door panels can be found in the Muth pdf http://www.muthco.com/epapers/21001150.pdf

This is far from complete and I will constantly edit this until it is a solid guide.

you can get the 4Runner, or Sienna Mirrors and they will snap right in, (should). You will still need to disassemble the whole assembly and doors to run your wires.

Edit: Sienna mirors will need to be removed from their snap in housing to fit in the tacoma snap in housing. 4Runners will snap in with no issue

I got them in, sanded with 600 grit and then sprayed with Gloss Black - 7-10 coats. Then baked them under some metal halide lights
Old 12-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome! Thanks for posting. Looks like I have a fun project when the snow melts
Old 12-21-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! Thanks for posting this! I need to scrape some money together for this! I really miss having heated mirrors! +1
Old 12-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Ah yeah. Excellent mod.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
very nice ^^^^^
Old 12-21-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
kogary is on a distinguished road
kogary's Tacoma Gallery
VERY nice! Definitely just jumped to the top of my mod list!

Thanks for the write up!
Old 12-22-2011, 04:46 AM   #10
BOOM goes the dynamite!
greenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Ian
greenguy3's Tacoma Gallery
This is getting good...
Old 12-23-2011, 06:02 AM   #13
Frankie_G is on a distinguished road

Marines:
Name: Frankie
Frankie_G's Tacoma Gallery
wow great job dude. wish i could help. sub'd for awesomness
Old 12-24-2011, 02:30 AM   #14
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
VERY NICE! do they have defrost? if so this may just go on my list of mods.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #15
ninja90177 will become famous soon enoughninja90177 will become famous soon enough

Army: 11B -> 88L
Name: Kenney
ninja90177's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd . . . Definitely a new project for my truck!
Old 12-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #16
Captarm is on a distinguished road

Name: Armand
Captarm's Tacoma Gallery
Dam, missed this thread and went with the Muth this Fall. Like the dash board switch, will have to replace that for the Muth switch.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #17
Luv my 4.0L
darcivic00si has much to be proud ofdarcivic00si has much to be proud ofdarcivic00si has much to be proud ofdarcivic00si has much to be proud ofdarcivic00si has much to be proud ofdarcivic00si has much to be proud ofdarcivic00si has much to be proud ofdarcivic00si has much to be proud ofdarcivic00si has much to be proud of

Air Force: Reserves
Name: Darci
darcivic00si's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for doing all of this for us!! I will be adding these mirrors soon!
Old 12-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #18
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Great write-up so far, here's the best part number resource I know of;
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/q.html
Old 12-30-2011, 04:52 AM   #20
Joeymgd78 is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Joey
Joeymgd78's Tacoma Gallery
what is a power folding mirror

Products Discussed in this Thread