Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4 cyl for v6 swap?

Old 12-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
LilTacoThatCould is on a distinguished road

Name: Sabrina
LilTacoThatCould's Tacoma Gallery
4 cyl for v6 swap?

I am looking to sell my 2011 4 cyl prerunner engine with only 10,000 miles on it and wanting to buy a new v6 engine anyone know where I can do this or if its even possible? And don't say just sell and buy I don't want to lose that much money
Old 12-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Do you really need it? There are alot of capable 4cyl tacos on here. I wish I would have gotten a 4cyl after seeing how capable they are, would have been saving alot on gas.

EDIT: Well didnt see the huge double cab there, I see why you would want it now
Old 12-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
And you'll find alot of info if you search on this topic, it is possible, here's a starter, this OP seems like he was thinking the same as you
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...4-v6-swap.html
Old 12-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Sell your truck and buy another one.

An engine swap is major work and not to be taken lightly. It's not a bolt-on and you'll be buying more than just the engine to make it work (like, the ECU, etc). Aside from that..... Your truck is a 2011. If you swap the engine, you can kiss your warranty goodbye unless Toyota does all the work and you'll lose your shirt (and pants, and stockings, and bra....)

So seriously.....The amount of money you'll get by selling your current truck and buying a 6cylinder...will be cheaper than swapping the engine and you'll avoid the headaches.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #5

thanks for the input janster I didnt take all of that into consideration. and sunner what would you suggest to make it have a little more giddy up? i live in texas hill country and towing to me seems like it would be an issue for a boat
Old 12-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
F16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: LUKE
F16TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTacoThatCould View Post
thanks for the input janster I didnt take all of that into consideration. and sunner what would you suggest to make it have a little more giddy up? i live in texas hill country and towing to me seems like it would be an issue for a boat
i agree with the above statement about being a shit ton of work. you would be better off just buying a different truck with a 6cyl. and if towing is going to be a prime use of your truck than that would seem to be the best route. 4cyl's are great for light loads and good gas mileage, but when it comes to towing they can be a little lacking. not a fault by any means, just not their intended design.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
What made you choose the 4cyl over the 6 cyl in the first place?
Old 12-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #8

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTacoThatCould View Post
Honestly I would have gotten a more powerful truck to begin with if you were going to be towing things but whats done is done, If you do not want to trade then I'de search some bolt on upgrades for your 4cycl, alot of guys on here that can help you with that. I dont know if you will be able to get it to tow a boat all that well even with bolt ons. Just search some 4cycl upgrades, Good luck though, and welcome to the forum!!
Old 12-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #9

I got a 4 cyl because at the time I bought it my old car an Acura finally gave out on me after 200,000 miles and needed a truck ASAP to get around. When my car died the Japan earthquake happened and every single dealership in Texas I went to didn't have any of the double cabs I wanted and I couldn't wait because bumming rides wasn't really working out so I took whatever they could order me came in from Arkansas btw and I wanted red
Old 12-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Forget the transplant.
Sell and then buy what you really want.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I would have rolled around in a used car until you found the exact trick you wanted.

As for the swap you need a whole donor truck so I suggest you forget about it. You can buy a supercharger for your 4 banger.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #12

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I would have rolled around in a used car until you found the exact trick you wanted.

As for the swap you need a whole donor truck so I suggest you forget about it. You can buy a supercharger for your 4 banger.
That'de void her warranty right? Do headers and exhaust void warranties btw?
Old 12-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunner View Post
Warranty is voided only if the aftermarket part causes an OEM part to fail or if installing the aftermarket part causes damage to the OEM part. In the case of exhaust headers will not void warranty but if you cut the stock muffler off then you lose warranty on that pipe section.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #14

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Warranty is voided only if the aftermarket part causes an OEM part to fail or if installing the aftermarket part causes damage to the OEM part. In the case of exhaust headers will not void warranty but if you cut the stock muffler off then you lose warranty on that pipe section.
Hmmmm ok. Good options then, but they'de probably blame the supercharger for the spare tire deflating and not cover it those damn bastards.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #15
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunner View Post
They can't void the warranty for 'add-on' type modifications. I don't know the details but I think there's a law about this type of thing....Magnuson-Moss Act.
???

I have a bolt-on exhaust and they haven't said a word.... and that might depend on the dealership.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #16
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
You are correct on Magnusen-Moss.

Also: They have to PROVE that your mod had caused another part to fail.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:57 PM   #18
81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

beat me to the punch
Old 12-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #19
sickyota is on a distinguished road

Name: sean
sickyota's Tacoma Gallery
BTW when doing a legal motor swap...the motor has to be newer then the truck it goes into. considering its a 2011....thats going to be a hard find. plus their probably going to want top coin for a 2011 or newer 4.0 v6 (probably very low miles) ....ya. not to fun
Old 12-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #20
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Look, you might lose two thou trading up. But you can easily piss away that much on aftermarket stuff one piece at a time, and never come close to the power of the v6.

Swallow your pride, own up to making a bad decision, and trade in for what you really want. Youll be happier and it's cheaper in the end, because the only thing that has a hope of raising the power you're looking for is a $5k blower.