1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

adding XM sat radio to a 2011 ??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bizjettech, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Dec 21, 2011 at 8:49 PM
    bizjettech

bizjettech [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sunny Florida
    Just picked up a 2011 DCSB - has the SAT button on the radio, (6 disk changer) but does not have the factory option XM sat. It looks like you can add it as Im told the 2011 has XM built into the head unit.

Anyone know what parts I need to order to get the XM up and running?

2. Dec 22, 2011 at 5:14 AM
    bizjettech

Member:
    Sunny Florida
    could not find answer using "search"

3. Dec 22, 2011 at 10:04 AM
    Indian Shifter

Indian Shifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ashil
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2011 White DC TRD Sport 4x4 Manual
    go to their web site....have your VIN # handy....or your radio pin code

4. Dec 22, 2011 at 10:16 AM
    g34rh34d

g34rh34d Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '08 4 DR TRD Off Road - ICON Stg 1 Adjustable Coil Overs ~3" lift, UCWMS, Airbags
    UCWMS; ICON Stg 1 Adjustable Coil Overs ~3" lift/shocks; Diff drop Spacers; Light Racing UCAs, Firestone Airbags
    If the Stereo has the Sat tuner built into the head unit (you will know if you hit the "sat button" and when selecting "sat 1" with the tuning knob it displays a alpha-numeric code), then you will know that it is built in to the unit. Also, check for the shark fin antenna. If you do not have a shark fin antenna, then you may need to add an aftermarket antenna. If both scenarios I described above are the case, then here is what I did:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/184477-satellite-radio-antenna-adapter.html

I have an 08, picked up an 11 JBL/Sat stereo, added the aftermarket Sirius antenna, and the adapter cable (SFA12m) and SMB/SMB Jack Barrel, signed up for Sirius, and WALA! Sat Radio.

Hope that helps.

5. Dec 22, 2011 at 5:24 PM
    bizjettech

Member:
    Sunny Florida
    Thanks for reply - when I hit the SAT - AM button, it goes to AM but when hit it again, it never changes from AM. Never had any SAT 1 or alpha numeric code come up. Also, no shark fin antenna installed. Truck is a 2011 Prerunner SR5.

Any thoughts?

6. Dec 22, 2011 at 5:43 PM
    MI4x4Toy

MI4x4Toy The slowest build EVER!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    MI
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    When we got our 2011 SR5 4x4 we were told that in order to use the factory head unit SAT option there was like a 300ish dollar part you had to order through Toyota to make it work.

I'm assuming this is the antenna and some sort of add on for the head unit?

7. Dec 22, 2011 at 5:55 PM
    bizjettech

Member:
    Sunny Florida

Sounds legit......guess I need to ask dealer. Just figured someone had been through this

8. Dec 23, 2011 at 6:55 AM
    g34rh34d

g34rh34d Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '08 4 DR TRD Off Road - ICON Stg 1 Adjustable Coil Overs ~3" lift, UCWMS, Airbags
    UCWMS; ICON Stg 1 Adjustable Coil Overs ~3" lift/shocks; Diff drop Spacers; Light Racing UCAs, Firestone Airbags
    Ok since nothing happens when you hit the sat button, combined with the fact that you don't have an antenna, I am going to assume that this unit does not have a built in satellite tuner in the head unit. (I also assume it is not the JBL premium unit w/ 6 disk changer, where I *believe* the built in sat tuner option is part of..) That being said and like MI4x4Toy indicated, the 300.00 option is likely a factory "piggy back" Satellite tuner that plugs into the back of the head unit.

There are other aftermarket kits that you can purchase at a lesser price that will give you all the hardware needed for satellite radio, but will require some installation and time similar to the kit below:

http://store.xmfanstore.com/complete-sirius-install-kit-for-toyota-scion-lexus.html

In any case, you will also need to subscribe to the satellite radio service through XM or Sirius. (I believe they are the same now.)

Hope that helps.

9. Dec 23, 2011 at 7:01 AM
    bizjettech

Member:
    Sunny Florida
    Thanks for all the great info! very helpful. I will let you know how it all shakes out.

10. Dec 23, 2011 at 7:39 AM
    MI4x4Toy

MI4x4Toy The slowest build EVER!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    MI
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    I went the route of the sirius device they offer. The stratos 6?? At any rate it is a small unit that plugs into your 12v power source and also into your aux cable port.

If you are after any sort of sound quality I suggest staying away from this option. Where as sound at max volume with the sirius unit is equal to about level 30 on the FM radio or CD player.

My dads FJ has the JBL with Satellite built in and it has amazing sound in comparison.

Products Discussed in

To Top