Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

adding XM sat radio to a 2011 ??

Old 12-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
bizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to behold

bizjettech's Tacoma Gallery
adding XM sat radio to a 2011 ??

Just picked up a 2011 DCSB - has the SAT button on the radio, (6 disk changer) but does not have the factory option XM sat. It looks like you can add it as Im told the 2011 has XM built into the head unit.

Anyone know what parts I need to order to get the XM up and running?
Old 12-22-2011, 05:14 AM   #2
bizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to behold

could not find answer using "search"
Old 12-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
Indian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ashil
Indian Shifter's Tacoma Gallery
go to their web site....have your VIN # handy....or your radio pin code
Old 12-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
g34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Avionics
g34rh34d's Tacoma Gallery
If the Stereo has the Sat tuner built into the head unit (you will know if you hit the "sat button" and when selecting "sat 1" with the tuning knob it displays a alpha-numeric code), then you will know that it is built in to the unit. Also, check for the shark fin antenna. If you do not have a shark fin antenna, then you may need to add an aftermarket antenna. If both scenarios I described above are the case, then here is what I did:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...a-adapter.html

I have an 08, picked up an 11 JBL/Sat stereo, added the aftermarket Sirius antenna, and the adapter cable (SFA12m) and SMB/SMB Jack Barrel, signed up for Sirius, and WALA! Sat Radio.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by g34rh34d View Post
If the Stereo has the Sat tuner built into the head unit (you will know if you hit the "sat button" and when selecting "sat 1" with the tuning knob it displays a alpha-numeric code), then you will know that it is built in to the unit. Also, check for the shark fin antenna. If you do not have a shark fin antenna, then you may need to add an aftermarket antenna. If both scenarios I described above are the case, then here is what I did:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...a-adapter.html

I have an 08, picked up an 11 JBL/Sat stereo, added the aftermarket Sirius antenna, and the adapter cable (SFA12m) and SMB/SMB Jack Barrel, signed up for Sirius, and WALA! Sat Radio.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for reply - when I hit the SAT - AM button, it goes to AM but when hit it again, it never changes from AM. Never had any SAT 1 or alpha numeric code come up. Also, no shark fin antenna installed. Truck is a 2011 Prerunner SR5.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-22-2011, 05:43 PM   #6
The slowest build EVER!!
MI4x4Toy will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
MI4x4Toy's Tacoma Gallery
When we got our 2011 SR5 4x4 we were told that in order to use the factory head unit SAT option there was like a 300ish dollar part you had to order through Toyota to make it work.

I'm assuming this is the antenna and some sort of add on for the head unit?
Old 12-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI4x4Toy View Post
When we got our 2011 SR5 4x4 we were told that in order to use the factory head unit SAT option there was like a 300ish dollar part you had to order through Toyota to make it work.

I'm assuming this is the antenna and some sort of add on for the head unit?

Sounds legit......guess I need to ask dealer. Just figured someone had been through this
Old 12-23-2011, 06:55 AM   #8
g34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Avionics
g34rh34d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizjettech View Post
Thanks for reply - when I hit the SAT - AM button, it goes to AM but when hit it again, it never changes from AM. Never had any SAT 1 or alpha numeric code come up. Also, no shark fin antenna installed. Truck is a 2011 Prerunner SR5.

Any thoughts?
Ok since nothing happens when you hit the sat button, combined with the fact that you don't have an antenna, I am going to assume that this unit does not have a built in satellite tuner in the head unit. (I also assume it is not the JBL premium unit w/ 6 disk changer, where I *believe* the built in sat tuner option is part of..) That being said and like MI4x4Toy indicated, the 300.00 option is likely a factory "piggy back" Satellite tuner that plugs into the back of the head unit.

There are other aftermarket kits that you can purchase at a lesser price that will give you all the hardware needed for satellite radio, but will require some installation and time similar to the kit below:

http://store.xmfanstore.com/complete...ion-lexus.html

In any case, you will also need to subscribe to the satellite radio service through XM or Sirius. (I believe they are the same now.)

Hope that helps.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:01 AM   #9

Thanks for all the great info! very helpful. I will let you know how it all shakes out.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #10
The slowest build EVER!!
MI4x4Toy will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
MI4x4Toy's Tacoma Gallery
I went the route of the sirius device they offer. The stratos 6?? At any rate it is a small unit that plugs into your 12v power source and also into your aux cable port.

If you are after any sort of sound quality I suggest staying away from this option. Where as sound at max volume with the sirius unit is equal to about level 30 on the FM radio or CD player.

My dads FJ has the JBL with Satellite built in and it has amazing sound in comparison.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #11
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
I just got the Sirius/XM App on my iphone for my ancient 2005