Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 BHLM and Retros

Old 12-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #42
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Those look so sick!! Good job on the mod!! I have the same setup except only on a 2006.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:46 AM   #43
socal_av is on a distinguished road

Name: Rudy
socal_av's Tacoma Gallery
looks good. my truck looks exactly like yours except the retros. still not to sure if i should do it or not. never done them before. how much time did it take you initially to do the retros?
Old 12-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #44
munkeeboi is one of the sharper tools in the shedmunkeeboi is one of the sharper tools in the shedmunkeeboi is one of the sharper tools in the shedmunkeeboi is one of the sharper tools in the shedmunkeeboi is one of the sharper tools in the shedmunkeeboi is one of the sharper tools in the shedmunkeeboi is one of the sharper tools in the shedmunkeeboi is one of the sharper tools in the shedmunkeeboi is one of the sharper tools in the shedmunkeeboi is one of the sharper tools in the shedmunkeeboi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

munkeeboi's Tacoma Gallery
congrats...I guess it is confirmed the tilt is a 2012 issue. glad you got it resolved. I trimmed the retaining plate so that it would be level
Old 12-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #45
dantastic is on a distinguished road
dantastic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Here's a picture of my crapoff:

Yep, that's how the Mini H1 projectors look on my 2012 too... So much for PnP. I'll probably just trim the tab on the H4 adapter ring a bit to allow for the projector to be clocked in the right direction.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #46
sparkhill is on a distinguished road
sparkhill's Tacoma Gallery
I am getting ready to do the retro-fit next week on my incoming 2012. I selected to Morimoto Mini D2S with Denso ballasts and Phillips bulbs. I am more concerned with performance and ease of install and less concerned with cost. If I bought the wrong stuff, I don't mind exchanging it.

Do any of you guys who have been through this have any thoughts or suggestions/tips regarding the equipment and the install?
Old 12-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #47
deadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
deadhed61's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here's a few pics of the install...looks good with the BHLM and gatling shrouds! Retro's are Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (D2S) and the alignment was 15' off and requires cutting which I haven't done yet...still a little grumpy that they weren't even but I was warned by a couple others so that's my fault...first install so now I know not to seal it before checking next time.
I'm planning on doing this in a couple days, are there any major differences on the 2012s from how it is explain in the sticky for the older models? It is possible to do this with all the OEM parts right?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #48
sparkhill is on a distinguished road
sparkhill's Tacoma Gallery
I just finished the Mini D2S retrofit install on my 2012. Other than shaving off the tab of the alignment ring, it was plug-and-play: no housing mods, but definitely not super-easy. I'm not sure I wouldn't just invest in some better bulbs in the stock housing rather than doing the retrofit again. The stock lights were loads better than the ones in my 2002 Tacoma but I need a few days to see how much better I like the retros.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #49
Hydrolai is a splendid one to beholdHydrolai is a splendid one to beholdHydrolai is a splendid one to beholdHydrolai is a splendid one to beholdHydrolai is a splendid one to beholdHydrolai is a splendid one to beholdHydrolai is a splendid one to behold
Name: Johnny
Hydrolai's Tacoma Gallery
im lovin in man ! looks sick. was the bhlm easy? im worried to do it on mine since ive never bake my lights before... also how do you take off the head lights for the 12?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #50
Pete4757 is on a distinguished road

Army:
Name: Chet
Pete4757's Tacoma Gallery
I know right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrolai View Post
im lovin in man ! looks sick. was the bhlm easy? im worried to do it on mine since ive never bake my lights before... also how do you take off the head lights for the 12?
x2
Old 06-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #51
ckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
What 'tab' needs to be trimmed for the '12's? The one on the alignment ring and then self align and epoxy into place?
Old 06-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #52
QTacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Q
QTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here's a picture of my crapoff:

I just did my retro not too long ago with the same setup as yours and mine look exactly like that. I haven't had time to take them off and align them properly but after seeing how yours turned out I'm going to get on it. Trucks looks good by the way bro. All black everything...
Old 06-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #53
Remember Your ABC's. Always. Be. Cool.
Bsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Brandon
Bsheriff11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeene9 View Post
What 'tab' needs to be trimmed for the '12's? The one on the alignment ring and then self align and epoxy into place?
Yea that's how I had to do it to get them straight, not bad, but a pita extra step!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #54
ckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsheriff11 View Post
Yea that's how I had to do it to get them straight, not bad, but a pita extra step!
Thanks, just started BHLM and will be doing the retro in a few weeks (when I have more time for it and hopefully the TRS group buy will be done and shipped).
Old 06-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #55
Raz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
Raz4back's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeene9 View Post
I did it a little different. I used a dremel and ground a little off of each of the three outer tabs. I didn't have to epoxy anything. You just need to make sure the projectors are good and tight before you reseal your lights.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #56

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz4back View Post
I did it a little different. I used a dremel and ground a little off of each of the three outer tabs. I didn't have to epoxy anything. You just need to make sure the projectors are good and tight before you redraw your lights.
I think I understand what you mean. Guess I'll have to play with it when I get the kit. I only have a day to mess with this so hopefully it's easy to get right the first time.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #57
KENNY2011 has a spectacular aura aboutKENNY2011 has a spectacular aura about

KENNY2011's Tacoma Gallery
Reviving an old post, but about to start this project and was curious if you guys had to modify the shrouds at all to seat properly? I got the Apollo 2's, and before I paint everything want to make sure they dont scratch the bowl if they dont seat right. I see there is a black ring that goes in to slide over the projector, do I just glue them together when seating? This is for 2012 too. Thanks a lot!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #58
fenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nice
fenderpicks's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Gatling gun with my D2S that i am working on right now.
Fits perfect no cutting needed, and the Gatling sits deeper than the Apollo. So there shouldnt be any cutting with Apollo.

Also I noticed what these guys are talkng about as well, with the "TILT"
At first i tried trimming down the H4 Adapter plate from TRS, but it looked rather skinny on the metal after trimming. So instead i filed down the actual reflector bowl tabs. (The tabs that keep the H4 Adapter plate in place.) I believe once the Adapter plate is straight with the line on the back of the reflector bowl, ur rotational should be good)

But i am not sure if that is how you do the rotational alignment. lol

Since u have to trim down stuff to make the projector sit in the center, i will be using epoxy to glue the adapter plate in place, so it wont move and throw off the alignment from vibration and what not....
Old 09-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #59
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shaun
Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, looks good man! Can't wait to do my lights. Thanks for taking the time to posting this up so we all can learn from your experience.