Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

HVAC LEDs out!?

Old 11-22-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
Ross137 is on a distinguished road
Ross137's Tacoma Gallery
HVAC LEDs out!?

Has anyone seen the lights go out in your dash before?? I find a hard time believing the LED's went out since I only have 35k on this truck!
Is it true that these are NOT red LED's in the HVAC controls, only a red film?

Does anyone know which LED's I need to order to fix this myself?
Attached Thumbnails
HVAC LEDs out!?-img_0871.jpg   HVAC LEDs out!?-img_0867.jpg  
Old 11-22-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
Ross137's Tacoma Gallery
Oh duh. Good point. I'll check that out tomorrow. But it would seem strange to multiple fuses for the lights in this area. The air flow direction lights AND the AC button lights are out.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
Ross137's Tacoma Gallery
Fuses checked out ok. Maybe the circuit board got fried or something?? This happen to anyone else before?
Old 11-23-2008, 11:34 AM   #5
Mall Krawler
coppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Travis
coppert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross137 View Post
Fuses checked out ok. Maybe the circuit board got fried or something?? This happen to anyone else before?
I had the same thing happen, there are two light bulbs back there and you have to take the "unit" out from the bottom with a small flat head screw driver. The bulbs are Toyota specific and you can get them from the $tealer$hip.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:21 PM   #6
Ross137's Tacoma Gallery
Bad bulb moved??

Ok now this is weird. I took out the 'unit' and started to disassemble it. (this was before I noticed I could access the 2 bulbs from the back without dissassembly.) After picking and prying for awhile, I gave up and was going to order a new unt.

When I put it back in, the defective bulb started working and the good bulb went out! I moved the connector around to see if it was intermittent, no luck. How could I have made the opposite side go out?

See pic. Are these the 2 bulbs that light the entire assembly?
Attached Thumbnails
HVAC LEDs out!?-img_0881.jpg   HVAC LEDs out!?-img_0883.jpg  
Old 11-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #7
Ross137's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, I just did a search on these lights. I'll try swaping the bulbs to see if the light moves to the other dial. Still won't explain why the lights moved to opposite dial without even removing them in the first place.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
Ross137's Tacoma Gallery
Fixed!

Thought I'd close out this conversation with myself for future readers.

Orded the $10 custom bulb from the dealer and it fixed the problem! PN for the bulb is 84999-10090.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:24 PM   #9
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Orded the $10 custom bulb from the dealer and it fixed the problem! PN for the bulb is 84999-10090.
Good info on the part number for future reference, glad you posted and figured it out, mine haven't gone out yet (crossed fingers) but will know what to do when it happens.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #10
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:

What do you mean by "custom bulb"?
Old 12-01-2008, 05:33 AM   #11
Ross137's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
What do you mean by "custom bulb"?
I meant custom because you can't buy this bulb at ANY auto parts store. Only through a Toyota parts department.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:57 AM   #12
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:

Good to know. (tagging this thread for later)
Old 12-01-2008, 06:05 AM   #14
Mall Krawler
coppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shed
coppert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBulldog View Post
When I took mine apart (I have the same prob) - it looked like LEDs on a circuit board... The lights you ordered - are they the bulbs that you have to solider on?
No the "brown" connector in his pic #2 is the back of the bulb housing. They twist out really easily.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:11 AM   #16
Mall Krawler
coppert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hmmm wow - awesome!!! I had almost given up!! Thanks!!
no problem, when mine went out, I took mine all the way apart, only to realize I went 2 or 3 steps to far (which sounds like I am not the only one). I did find a few local dealers that would only sell me the control unit in order to get new bulbs, some people, I tell you!
Old 12-01-2008, 06:38 AM   #17
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 0261
Agent475's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPPERT View Post
no problem, when mine went out, I took mine all the way apart, only to realize I went 2 or 3 steps to far (which sounds like I am not the only one). I did find a few local dealers that would only sell me the control unit in order to get new bulbs, some people, I tell you!

Yea - that is BS that they did that to you just for bulbs... Thanks for the info - I appreciate it.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:42 AM   #18
Mall Krawler
coppert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea - that is BS that they did that to you just for bulbs... Thanks for the info - I appreciate it.
Not a problem, glad to help whenever I can.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #19
Now my Taco is bloody Red, ewww
"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed

"OldManTan"'s Tacoma Gallery
I hate reviving a dead/closed thread, but for the interest of $. When I was in the process of lighting my 4wd switch, I discovered that radio shack sells a 12 volt miniature bulb that should fit the HVAC controls. Not positive the size is correct, but sure looks it. I returned it already, but I think this is the part number 272-1154. These may work too, and cheaper 272-1092. Again I don't claim they will work as I never tried them, but they should.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:24 PM   #20
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by "OldManTan" View Post
I hate reviving a dead/closed thread, but for the interest of $. When I was in the process of lighting my 4wd switch, I discovered that radio shack sells a 12 volt miniature bulb that should fit the HVAC controls. Not positive the size is correct, but sure looks it. I returned it already, but I think this is the part number 272-1154. These may work too, and cheaper 272-1092. Again I don't claim they will work as I never tried them, but they should.
I tried some similar ones when I was at Radio Shack looking at their small bulbs. None of them worked and the LEDs were too dim. I just brought it into the dealer and they just replaced it.

The whole HVAC control unit has a total of 2 incandescents and 2 LEDs (one in the A/C and recirculation).