1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Questions About Breaking In 4WD

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by davelac, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Dec 23, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    davelac

davelac [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital Region
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5
    I've never owned a 4WD before and now have a 2011 DCSB SR5. I reviewed the manual trying to see how often you should use 4WD to keep the system "in tune", but didn't come across anything yet. I tried it out this morning and drove about 5 miles before I switched back to 2WD. Questions:
    1. Should I drive in 4WD once or twice a month to keep the components in working order?
    2. Is there a limitation to how fast I should go in 4WD (like not at highway speeds?)
    3. I noticed that when I tried to back up in 4WD it seemed as if there was some resistance at first - is that normal?
    4. When I switched back to 2WD from a stop and then moved forward, there was a slight clunk sound from the underside as if a mechanical part was disengaging. Any reason to be concerned?
    Again, I'm new to a 4WD vehicle, so forgive me for asking basic questions. Any response is appreciated.

2. Dec 23, 2011 at 7:49 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    First welcome
    #4 Normal
    #3 normal
    #2 light speed once locked in under 60
    #1 In the manual is a section on that. I'm not going to quote but.

In my case i have a long straight road i live on. So for me i work it at least twice a week. I would suggest more than the book indicates. Not the mileage per say but the actual activation....
    Keep her fairly straight in the road

3. Dec 23, 2011 at 7:56 AM
    Sigi

Sigi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sigi
    Sfv ca
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma 4x4 trd offroad
    Your not putting it on 5 wheel drive for 5 miles on dry pavement right ??

4. Dec 23, 2011 at 7:56 AM
    Sigi

Sigi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sigi
    Sfv ca
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma 4x4 trd offroad
    I mean 4 wheel . Lol

5. Dec 23, 2011 at 7:58 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Pretty much what Mike said, although 4x4 does not really need "broken in". It is in the manual somewhere about to use it atleast once a month to keep everything working and lubed up. And ditto on keeping it strait on a non slick surface, such as asphalt or even hard packed dirt road. If you notice when you try to turn on dry no slick surface, you get that hesitation. Thats binding, and you don't want to do that too often, that is potential breakage.

Good luck with the truck though and enjoy it!

6. Dec 23, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    I had to take a double take on this one................ LOL
    I was AHHHHHHHHHHH ?????

roflmao.

7. Dec 23, 2011 at 8:16 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    I was looking at your sig pic for some crazy 5th wheel mod!

8. Dec 23, 2011 at 9:48 AM
    davelac

Member:
    Capital Region
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5
    Yes, it was dry pavement - does that make a difference?

9. Dec 23, 2011 at 9:51 AM
    Thundjet

Thundjet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012, V6, Sport TRD, Auto, 4 wd
    YES! If the wheels can not slip once in awhile the parts in the drive line can bind and break.
    Only use 4wd on loose surfaces. Don't worry about using it to much, the first 100 miles on my truck I used it 95% of the time.

10. Dec 23, 2011 at 9:52 AM
    davelac

Member:
    Capital Region
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll check the manual again. So it's not good to make a lot of turns in 4WD when you're on dry pavement? I made a few today in my test run to the convenience store so hopefully I did no damage.

I have a lot to learn as you can see.

11. Dec 23, 2011 at 9:52 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Dry pavement has no give to allow for some slippage in the front wheels , this is why you feel them binding when you turn sharply in 4wd .

Keep it straight if you must me on dry pavement in 4wd .

12. Dec 23, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    Bloodhound

Bloodhound Banned from the Pics Thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Floor-mats, Running Boards, Shorty Antenna, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, AVS In-Channel VentVisors, Beer cans in the bed
    Find a straight, straight road once a month and throw it in 4WD according to the manual. Like others have noted, don't be making any sharp turns in 4WD as it binds up the transfer case and loads it up, which could result in breaking some expensive stuff.

13. Dec 23, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    davelac

Member:
    Capital Region
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5
    Good to know, thanks. The truck is only 8 wks old so I don't want to screw with it already. My 4WD trip was really about 2.5 miles (30-40mph) with about (4) 90 degree turns after complete stops.

14. Dec 23, 2011 at 10:21 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Since we have part-time 4WD it makes a BIG difference...read the links in my signature below. When you go back into 2WD from 4HI take your foot off the gas so there's no load on the drive-line then turn the switch...you won't get that "clunk" sound. Try to at the very least drive in 4WD for a few miles every month or two to keep things lubed up.

15. Dec 23, 2011 at 10:21 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    Also I don't know if anyone said it, but in 4WD high, no speed limit, acording to the manual you just can't put into 4WD above 63 mph. Just an FYI.

16. Dec 23, 2011 at 10:22 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Just to echo everyone else.

Drive it in 4wd for a few miles once a month to keep the front components lubed and in working order. Only use it on loose surface though. Such as dirt or gravel road, or even in a grass field. It doesn't have to be a FAR distance, just go around in a few circles in a farmer's field (with permission of course) if that's all you have access to.

The clunk you heard when shifting into or out of 4wd is normal, that's the sound of the front driveline engaging. That said, try not to rev the crap out of the gas pedal when you're switching to or from. That will just put unnecessary stress on it. When I switch to or from, I turn the switch and take my foot off the pedal and just coast until it engages. Much smoother.

Read the manual once more so you know what your dealer recommended limitations are. Then spend some time browsing through the forum here, and you'll learn a HELL of a lot more info!

And welcome to the world of 4wd vehicles!

17. Dec 23, 2011 at 10:49 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    NAAAAAAA don't worry about it.

Basically it's not good to do sharp turns in 4wd on dry pavement. The funny feeling you get in the truck (like it's trying to skate around a little and lurching) is what we call drive line wrap up. It puts a lot of pressure on the drive line because of the difference in the radius of the turn between the front and rear and outside and inside. Doing it a lot can cause issues but don't panic if you forget once in a while.

Enjoy

18. Dec 23, 2011 at 10:50 AM
    Wallygater

Wallygater Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4 6 speed
    Softopper, All-pro bolt-on sliders, Tom Wood's drive shaft, Goodyear 235/85/16 Dura-trac's, SG, USA-Spec I-pod adaptor, Amsoil in everything
    I drive about 10 miles or so a month in 4wd. I drive on straight roads in the rain and only in the rain just for added measure. If I have to turn I take it out and then when straightened up put in back in 4wd again. I try to take it in and out of 4wd as much as possible when doing this. It's starting to engage and disengage real well now with 11,000 on the clock.:cool:

19. Dec 23, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    Bobbb

Bobbb "Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    As Wally's doing, the owner's manual recommends 10 miles/month to keep it all lubed. I don't live in the city so I just pick a mountain and head up it if I haven't been out in a while. I wholeheartedly concur with all of the above about limiting dry pavement as much as possible.

Products Discussed in

To Top