Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tried to Purchase New..

Old 12-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Tried to Purchase New..

Well as stated above. I went to the dealer to see what they would give me on my 2008 TRD OR 4 door with 114k miles. They offered me 16.5k.. Which I believe I could have gotten a little more, but none the less. New trucks as we know are 32k, they didn't have any 11' and so I was stuck with the '12. Price tag of 32.5k. I know I could have talked them down to 30k.

Moral of the story.. Didn't match the payments I was looking for monthly so I said no Damn..

Is it worth trying other stealerships for matching my price range? Would any dealers offer me more or even less for trade in? I tried my chances at the Coon Rapids, Mn dealer, Carlson Toyota.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Some guy in Florida just said he was getting his for 28500.. I got mine (2011) for 29500.

They gave me 22k for my 07 with 51 k. So...i would try other dealerships.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Thundjet is on a distinguished road
Thundjet's Tacoma Gallery
First thing is, forget the matching of payments. This gives a dealership the opportunity to get you into a long financing option at a low rate without you noticing they screwed you on your trade in or the price of the truck.

Second, doesnt matter what you pay for it some asshole will tell you he paid $2,000 less and you got screwed.

Find a dealer who is comfortable to talk to and don't worry about getting that last dollar back into your pocket.

I just paid $33K out the door for a 2012 Sport TRD, 4wd, Auto, V6, with JBL audio/nav, trailer towing package, black tube running boards, all weather mats and roof rack. I was treated with respect and curtesy the entire time. Was told to take it on a long test drive as well and offered 2.75 financing for 72 months.

I am sure others paid less than I did but it doesnt matter to me.

If possible, sell your truck on craigslist and then go in and discuss price. You will end up better in the long run.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
Toyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Shoghi
Toyoghi's Tacoma Gallery
I would tell them that another dealership is offering it to you for X amount of money, and if they give it to you for Y amount you'll buy it. That's what I did and the dealership wanted to make a sale so they sold me my 2011 DCLB 4x4 for 25,800 + Tax... Which is really really good in Canada.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
If they would offer you 17k for yours I'd jump in a new one .
Old 12-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
GoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
GoDeacsWFU23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
If they would offer you 17k for yours I'd jump in a new one .

I would also especially since it does have higher mileage. And I am sure you owe less on it then what they offered you so you could take that money and either make a down payment on it or take it and start the mods ASAP!
Old 12-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I would keep what you have.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
+2. Wait for a total redesign before trading up.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundjet View Post
First thing is, forget the matching of payments. This gives a dealership the opportunity to get you into a long financing option at a low rate without you noticing they screwed you on your trade in or the price of the truck.

Second, doesnt matter what you pay for it some asshole will tell you he paid $2,000 less and you got screwed.

Find a dealer who is comfortable to talk to and don't worry about getting that last dollar back into your pocket.

I just paid $33K out the door for a 2012 Sport TRD, 4wd, Auto, V6, with JBL audio/nav, trailer towing package, black tube running boards, all weather mats and roof rack. I was treated with respect and curtesy the entire time. Was told to take it on a long test drive as well and offered 2.75 financing for 72 months.

I am sure others paid less than I did but it doesnt matter to me.

If possible, sell your truck on craigslist and then go in and discuss price. You will end up better in the long run.
Good tips..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDeacsWFU23 View Post
I would also especially since it does have higher mileage. And I am sure you owe less on it then what they offered you so you could take that money and either make a down payment on it or take it and start the mods ASAP!
Mods are nonesense, I have my SAS 1st gen to mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I was in no hurry to trade it, I was just curious as to see would I could get out of it.

Truck takes its beating, tows my 1st gen a lot and who knows on the maintenance it has had previous of my ownership.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
Professional Goofball
zul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to behold
zul's Tacoma Gallery
Dont drive dealer-to-dealer to compare prices. Get with the times! Send emails to all your local dealerships, telling them what you want and what offers you've gotten so far. Tell them you are looking to buy at or below invoice price. Generally speaking the internet/fleet guys are much easier to work with than the floor salesmen. (less pushy, more willing to haggle, etc.)
Old 12-23-2011, 05:53 PM   #12
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
+1 with zul, email as many dealers as you have, here in Houston there are probably 10 and I emailed them all. Got my 2011 for 27k with every option and have me free Nfab running boards w/ 125k mile warranty. I hate stealerships.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #13
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Hmm... also good tips, thanks. Will try.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #14
Thundjet is on a distinguished road
Thundjet's Tacoma Gallery
Another thing to take into consideration is to have a price in your mind that will get you to buy the truck.

It is unreasonable to expect a good price if your not even sure what price will convince you to complete the transaction. The strategy that works best for me is to offer the dealer what I feel is a fair price with the comment "If you will sell it to me at that price I'll give you a nonrefundable deposit right now".

Many people hate dealerships and they have their reasons. But put yourself into their shoes for just a minute, why should they spend a lot of time with a "customer" if the customer does not even know what it will take for them to buy.

One last tip, if you want to compare dealer against dealer don't say dealer X will sell it for this price unless you can show proof by having it in writing. Ofter times the same person owns more than one dealership in a local area and they act like they compete against each other but they really don't.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #15
TJ Asher has a spectacular aura aboutTJ Asher has a spectacular aura aboutTJ Asher has a spectacular aura about

Name: TJ
TJ Asher's Tacoma Gallery
Always best in my opinion to buy toward the end of the month or year. Sometimes dealerships are willing to take a little less profit in order to make quotas.

There are lots of other Toyota dealers in the Minneapolis area. Give another one a call to see what inventory they have or can get.

When I wanted to get my Taco nobody had what I wanted but I found a dealer that could get it for me by trading inventory with another dealership so I went with them.