1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Aftermarket Headunit Install

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by alwaysat8k, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Dec 23, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    alwaysat8k

alwaysat8k [OP] My truck is slow

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 Access Cab SR5 4cyl 5spd 5lug
    Fat Bobs 2.75" spacer, 1.5" Long AAL in rear
    Hey guys, I just bought an 2012 access cab sr5 tacoma non-prerunner with the base factory radio (no sat or fm). As before when I owned my 2010, I am looking to replace it with an aftermarket kit. Has the wiring harness changed for the headunit since 2011? Also, it looks the same - but will the metra mounting kit work as well? Crutchfield says they havent done the research on it and ********* doesnt say anything specific either. I just wanted to make sure before ordering. I researched the threads a bit but didnt see anything too specific.

Thanks again.

- Jake

2. Dec 29, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    alwaysat8k

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    if anyone wanted to know the answer since i didnt get a reply, the metra kit fits. it doesnt line up 100%, but its very very close. does not bother me one bit.

3. Dec 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM
    johnnyman1

johnnyman1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jax
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD OR PRE
    nerf audio
    '12 is a different dash. Metra doesn't even know it changed. The dude at Metra was arguing with me that it did not demanded me get him 30 pics of all angles for him. I basically told him to F off.

Schosche said they are aware of the change and it just went into tooling. I called them about 6 weeks ago. They said it should be ready by early '12. ********* is also aware of it and said they have no idea when they will get them. Only Metra was clueless.

Yes, the dash kit from the '11 does fit but the lines are all jacked up. Good for now though. Mine is a DD. It does not look too bad in this pic bc its taken straight on but there is a big gap at the bottom.

[​IMG]

4. Dec 29, 2011 at 5:26 PM
    adammarcw

adammarcw New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Minneapolis, MN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma V6 4X4 SR5
    I didn't know about taco tunes and have been looking for this information with limited success myself. The picture really helps

5. Apr 24, 2012 at 8:47 PM
    DREX

DREX Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    12 regular cab 4x4
    Pioneer AVH 4400BH 7" touch screen kicker 10" sub 15% window tint weather tech window vents weather tech floor matts plasti dip emblems plasti dip wheels
    alwaysat8k What wiring harness did you use?I have a 2012 single cab and I am trying to hook up a pioneer touch screen and the scoche wiring harness doesn't fit. Ive gone to all the local audio places "best buy" and they said they didnt have a 2012 wiring harness.
    Thanks for the help.

6. Apr 24, 2012 at 9:31 PM
    FFMedic

FFMedic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Newton
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 MGM
    Anytime fog, Upgraded sound
    Old thread, but hey. FWIW I put in a Pioneer AVIC-x930BT several months ago, and I got my harness from Amazon here:SCOSCHE TA02B Wiring Harness for 1987 and up Toyota.
    Hope this helps.

7. Apr 27, 2012 at 4:16 AM
    alwaysat8k

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    ^^^ That works. I got my kit from crutchfield. They had a killer deal going on with head units. I got the scosche install kit and alpine ide 123 for like 150 shipped.

As for your wiring harness, it has not changed from 2011. Just use last years version (scosche makes the most common harness). As noted above, the dash kit will not line up perfectly. Ive been driving mine around like it is for the past few months and it has not bothered me one bit.

8. Apr 29, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    FFMedic

FFMedic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Newton
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 MGM
    Anytime fog, Upgraded sound
    Yep same wiring harness. Dash kit sucks, but I'm a bit OCD. Killin me kinda like the weathertech fiasco. But it does not bother me as much as a bad sound system so I had no choice. Glad I could hep a bit.

Oops you weren't asking for help, guess I can't read either, but to who needed the help hope you get one soon. Don't think the harness has changed since 87'ish.

9. Apr 29, 2012 at 7:59 PM
    ShaneG

ShaneG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    11 Prerunner SR5
    I was just getting ready to chime in and tell you to steer clear of the Metra dash kit. I originally ordered and installed one when I first got my aftermarket double din. I thought the finish looked cheap, didn't even come close to matching (color or texture) and the fit sucked. The opening for the hazard light button was askew which would make the button stick if I ever hit it.

Ordered the Scosche last week and installed a couple of days ago. 110% improvement...

Products Discussed in

To Top