1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tonneau Cover- Bakflip Fold HD or RollBak?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Cobhc, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Dec 23, 2011 at 5:42 PM
    Cobhc

Cobhc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    California
    Interior: Ecometer, Pioneer Avic F-900BT. Under The Hood: TRD Cold Air Intake, Painted Engine Cover. Exterior: Heavy Tints, OEM Roof Rack, Painted Wheels, Dual Exhaust Flowmaster 50 Series, Tail Light Guards, Avid LightBar with KC 775 Lights, BakFlip F1 Tonneau Cover, AMP Research Bed Xtender HD, OEM Bed Mat, GoRhino Hitch Step, Vent Visors, Blacked Out Emblems, 3" Carbon Fiber Antenna...
    I'm really thinking about getting a tonneau cover and its come down to either the BakFlip HD or the RollBak. Is one better than the other in your opinion? What do you think?

2. Dec 29, 2011 at 1:02 PM
    TruckXL

TruckXL New Member

Member:
    It really comes down to how you think you will be using your truck bed. Do you haul large items often? If so, then I would probably suggest getting the BakFlip HD Folding Tonneau Cover, since it has the capabilities of folding all the way up against the cab for complete bed access. If your just looking for something to cover your cargo area and functions and looks great, then the RollBak Retractable Tonneau Cover is a very cool item to have with easy access to store and retrieve items from your truck bed.

If you need any help picking the right tonneau cover, feel free to shoot us a pm or give us a call at 1-888-274-3308 and we would be more than happy to help you pick the right cover for your needs and budget. We will also be able to extend to you a "tacomaworld" member discount. We hope to hear from you, thanks!

3. Dec 29, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    davelac

davelac Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital Region
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5
    I ended up with an extang solidfold. Looked at a bunch of hard tanos including the bakflip. The only thing I didn't like about it was that its rails mount directly to the bedrails so you can't use the cleat system. To me that was important when getting stuff for a home project. I did like that it was very low profile and locks at intermediate points.

4. Dec 29, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I had the Bakflip G2. It was a good cover. I sold it to another Tacomaworld member when I bought my topper. As Dave stated, the Bakflip rails mount over the bed rails so you won't have access to them while it's on (you still have access to the front rail).

I looked at the Rollbak. It was much more expensive than the Bakflip G2 so I went with the G2. It also takes up space under the cover near the front where the top rolls up. I have a short bed so I didn't want to sacrifice the space. The Bakflip G2 was a snap to take off if you needed to. It only takes about 5 minutes to remove the lids completely off the truck. Taking the rails off might add another 15 minutes. I never had the need to take it off though.

I also put a Westin bed extender in and was able to use it with the Bakflip without a problem. You will need a tailgate lock though.

5. Dec 29, 2011 at 6:19 PM
    junglefighter25

junglefighter25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    1996, 1999, 2011, 2013, 2016 Tacoma
    I started shopping for a tonneau cover about a year before I actually bought my truck. I asked different people at Leonards, and Rowell's Off Road near my house for their advice, as well as looking online and reading other peoples' testimonials.
    I bought the FoldACover G4 Elite from Steffens Automotive. I looked at the BakFlip, which is an awesome cover as well, but the FoldACover had some features that the Bakflip lacked. I have been very happy with my purchase.
    First, the FoldACover has dual key locks, one in the rear near the tailgate, and another near the front by the cab. I can open the tonneau from the front or the back, which is really cool.
    The FoldACover also has a tailgate lock. It's simple, but affective. I was thinking of going with a electric tailgate lock, if I were to buy the Bakflip. My dad actually advised me to go with something mechanical, rather than electric. (In a Boston accent) "That cellinoid takes a shit on ya in the cold or whatevah, and your cuttin dat muthafuckin covah off." My dad has been a mechanic since he was about 6 years old (about the time he started smoking) so I trust his judgement.
    The FoldACover also uses the bedrail system, rather than cover it up. You will lose a total of about 5 or 6 inches of rail per side, which is really nothing.
    I did a big ass write up with pictures and everything here.
    I am in no way saying that the BakFlip is a piece of shit, or not worth the money. I'm just throwing in my recommendation for the FoldACover.

6. Jan 24, 2013 at 10:45 AM
    Father

Father Active Member

Member:
    I've been reading up on Fold-A-Cover today... I definitely like the way it locks the tailgate. I really don't want to have to install a tailgate lock just for the cover. Their lock is insanely simple but appears to be effective.

Opening from the front is nice but not so much a selling point for me. I plan on putting an AMP bed extender which would double as a cargo organizer.

I like the lock covers. I have a rolling cover on my last truck and it had no covers. One day or ice plays hell with the keyhole.

I like the truck's built in rails but if it makes it easier to install a cover I'm open to the idea of sacrificing them.

I like the RollBak as well... I feel like the space I'd be giving up would be made up by having the bed extender. The other perk is keeping my full rear view.

Still haven't decided... there are a lot of nice looking options.

Products Discussed in

To Top