1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Manual Transmission oil change

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Manwithoutaplan, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Feb 5, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD OR & 1985 SR5 4Runner
    What size sockets do I need?

2. Feb 5, 2012 at 3:31 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    I used a 15/16 box end, it fits almost exactly (actually better than) the 24mm metric size.

3. Feb 5, 2012 at 3:47 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Redline MT-90 [​IMG]Next.

4. Feb 26, 2012 at 9:11 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan [OP] the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    Can u use redline in ur tranfser case and diffs.

5. Feb 26, 2012 at 9:28 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Redline makes specific lubricants for transmissions and differentials. The MT-90 can be used in the Tcase, but not the diffs. They sell another oil for that.

Mt-90 or one of their other transmission oils is the only thing that should go in the transmission. It's not a matter of lubrication quality. There are other good oils, but nothing makes these trannies shift as well as Redline. I would use the MT -90 unless you see temps well below zero. Then one of the lighter options they have might be better.

6. Feb 26, 2012 at 9:38 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    Ok well 0 degrees is not a problem where I live.

7. Feb 27, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    Ok cool thx for the respond so man.

8. Oct 7, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    Can I use the same Pump that I used for the differential fluid 75-90? Or should I buy a new one?

9. Oct 7, 2012 at 7:11 PM
    Gerry Pope

Gerry Pope Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 PreRunner

I used the same pump.. Can't see any harm in using what little is left in the hose.

10. Oct 7, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    It's fine, just pump the remaining diff oil out. The Redline bottles though have a very small neck. Most of the pumps you find won't thread onto it. they still work, but they are a little clumsy because they are just sitting in the bottle.

11. Oct 10, 2012 at 11:18 PM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    So I tried doing the oil change, when I took out the fill plug, some fluid came out. Then I drained it.

When I went to fill it back up, I was unable to get a full 1.8 quarts in that the manual recommends before fluid started coming out the fill hole. Is that okay, or should I jack up the driver side and add more fluid?

12. Oct 10, 2012 at 11:38 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Was it level with the fill hole? If so run it as is.

You could run it a couple days and then pull the plug when it's cold and check it. Top it off if need be.

13. Oct 10, 2012 at 11:40 PM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Yep, I'm just worried because there was a bunch of fluid that came out when I took out the fill plug, meaning it probably had the full 1.8 in there originally.

14. Oct 10, 2012 at 11:44 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    You were on level ground right?

How much of the 1.8 did it take?

I'll assume you drained it warm?

Could be it was hot and expanded, could be they overfilled it to begin with, could be you were on a slope, could be you didn't get it drained fully.

I wouldn't worry about it if it took a decent amount, check it again when it's cold. If you only got a quart in there I'd be worried but I wouldn't stress if not.

You checked with a flash light to see it was level with the fill hole?

15. Oct 10, 2012 at 11:50 PM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    I'd say maybe 1.6, I did drain it warm. I was pretty sure I drained it fully, I let it sit for a couple hours and my garage is pretty level. I did not use a flash light because I assumed that if it was coming out of the fill hole it was full.

Yeah I'll probably check it in a couple days cold.

16. Oct 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    1.6 isn't something I'd be concerned about, but it'd be fine to check it in a few days, cold.

It is good to look in the hole (if you can, sometimes you can't) just to make sure something isn't obstructing the fluid but at 1.6 I'm going to say it was full and not that something backed it up.

Just my .02

17. Oct 11, 2012 at 12:03 AM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Yeah, I'm probably just over thinking it. Looking through the hole might be hard since the steering shaft (if I remember correctly, I'm to lazy to go back out and check under the truck) and the exhaust is in the way.

18. Oct 11, 2012 at 12:10 AM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Yeah, front driveline, you're right. At any rate stick your finger in the hole and feel, should be sitting right below the bottom edge of the hole. Could always use a mirror too.

19. Oct 11, 2012 at 12:14 AM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Man, I must be tired, should have thought of the mirror, and of course it can't be the steering shaft... :facepalm:

20. Oct 11, 2012 at 12:20 AM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    :p

Products Discussed in

To Top