1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Want to do Satoshi!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Forster46, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Jan 11, 2012 at 3:48 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 [OP] Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Pick up my mesh from the post office tomorrow... nervous about starting this. I can't afford a backup grill.

2. Jan 11, 2012 at 3:55 PM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

ROGU3 PR3DATOR Space Shuttle Door Gunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
    Lifted, Supercharged, Armored, and lots more
    Not sure what your budget looks like but I would bet you probably spent more on the mesh...

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2010/toyota/tacoma/body_mechanical_-ar-_trim/grille_assembly.html

Then all you have to do is have the surround color matched. For me that was the most expensive part. I spent about the same amount on the paint as I did on the grille and mesh combined.

3. Jan 11, 2012 at 3:58 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Thats a possibility. Shipping is probably more than the grill itself though haha.
    If I got that I would probably just leave it flat black. I like the look. As long as it doesn't look TOO cheap.

I have a dremel with cutoff wheels. And I was gonna mount the mesh in Homertaco's "thin lip" style, so you dont necessarily have to worry about the big gap left once you cut out the crossmembers.

4. Jan 11, 2012 at 4:11 PM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
    No the thin lip method is set up to be 3/4 of in inch in from the front which is the same distance the cross members are in so in a way you are skipping the step to fill that in. I just did that this weekend. My advice is either have a very steady hand or pick up some edge trim to put over the lip when you are done. I took my time cutting it out, and still didn't look as clean as I wanted it to. The edge trim just hides the cut edge.

Oh yeah and you might want to use reinforced cutting wheels. I thought that they handled the cutting better.

5. Jan 11, 2012 at 4:18 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    Okay. I just bought the dremel kit at sears with a giftcard I got. I have only used it once, for cleaning out the hole in the switch blank to mount the switch that came with my hellas. I haven't cut with it before. What kind of edge trim did you use?

6. Jan 11, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
    I just picked up edge trim from... auto zone I think... Its supposed to go on the edges of doors I think, But it worked out fairly well. Only problems I have with it so far is that it was a pain to get on, and that there is going to be a seam somewhere. The difficulty I had in getting it on means it wont come off easily and shouldn't even move with the mesh behind it, and I had to cut slits in the bottom side so that it would fit right.If you go this route you will understand when you get there. And I put the seam dead center on the upper lip I guess you could say, so that you have to actually get down and look up to see it when its on the truck.

7. Jan 11, 2012 at 5:28 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    Interesting... Well ill probably just cut into and it mount it up and see how bad it looks. Does the dremel do a semi-clean cut or is it totally just horrible looking?

8. Jan 11, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
    Its not really bad, and if you take your time you should be fine. I just wanted it to look a little cleaner. Thinking about it now a jig saw might not be a bad idea for cutting most if it.

9. Jan 11, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
    Well I wouldn't recommend that. I think it would be too much of a rough cut.

10. Jan 11, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    i would think a jigsaw would do the same effect... but maybe not. Ill just hit it with the cutting wheel then sand it down best I can. If it doesnt look perfect, I won't be bothered too much. I'll just have to get a new grill if I wanna sell the truck or something.

11. Jan 11, 2012 at 6:33 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
  12. Jan 11, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    goufcustom

goufcustom 7.62x63mm

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    When you use these take the tape off them and use a plastic epoxy, the double sided tape doesn't hold, this is how I did mine, and after 2 months all of the taped ones fell off and I have now epoxied all of them.

HomerTaco mesh is great too!

The rest you can get at Lowes. Have fun and buy lots of sandpaper. Also you may want to wait till it gets warmer to paint.

13. Jan 11, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    goufcustom

goufcustom 7.62x63mm

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    Also check out U-Pol Clear #1 for a very nice clear coat if you plan to color match any of it. eBay is the best place to get it, and it looks very factory, and smell like a dead hookers asshole... Seriously bad smelling stuff!

Also for some extra fun make sure and do the side triangles, looks really nice.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  14. Jan 11, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    goufcustom

goufcustom 7.62x63mm

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    You can sell it with the grill mods, it is an option to get more money for! Also think of all the people that sell their vehicles with all the extra chrome crap all over it, nothing worse than that.

Oh post some pictures of your progress and gOod luck!

15. Jan 11, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    Lurkin I see...
    Haha I'm picking up the mesh you sent me from the post office tomorrow. Thanks again!

I will just hit it with the cutting wheels then sand it best I can. I already heard about the epoxy thing with the Zip Tie Squares, which I would have probably done anyway. I hope this turns out as good as I am hoping! I'll post pics as I go!

16. Jan 11, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    goufcustom

goufcustom 7.62x63mm

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    Oh one more thing, instead of a dremel, try one of these blades, I can't remember what they are called but don't put it in the handle holder thing, just use the blade and wear gloves. Mark a line and go for it, I used this on my lower mesh and it was so easy compared to the dremel work I did on the upper grill, wish I would have use this blade instead, again you can get these at lowes or HD.

[​IMG]

17. Jan 11, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco

You used this to cut the plastic? I could try that.... Although my lines would make it look like I cut it all drunk :p

18. Jan 11, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    CVYota

CVYota Damaged goods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    Extended front 2.5 Icons. LR UCAs, Dakar Leaf Springs, rear King Smooth 2.5 w/res , Softopper, 285/75-16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with kevlar,16x8 SCS wheels 4.5 bs, Brute Force Rear bumper, 4x4 switch led, Diff Breather mod, weathertechs, Pelfrybilt front bumper, IFS and mid skids, B.A.M.F rear diff armor, LCA armor, Light bar mount and Sliders, Homer grill, Andres Devil horns, LED light bar, gauge pod with dual battery gauge and ecometer. Dual battery.

how do you know this smell? :eek:

19. Jan 11, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
    I was thinking it would be harder to cut in a straight line with a sawzal. But the Dremel does work it just takes time.

20. Jan 11, 2012 at 8:31 PM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
    FYI thats a hack saw blade

Products Discussed in