1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clank sound when applying brake pedal.....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Johnnywad, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Dec 26, 2011 at 3:04 PM
    Johnnywad

Johnnywad [OP] Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 doublecab
    Anybody have an answer for this? When I first startup my Taco in the morning. I back out of the garage and head down the street. When I apply the brake, I hear a metallic "clank" sound. After that I do not hear it again. I can make the sound happen again... sometimes by applying the brake. But not everytime. I took it to the dealer and had it checked out. They said nothing to worry about. They thought it was just "brakepad creep". My pads are only at 50% wear. I think the dealer is full of crap. I would sure appreciate any suggestions on this.

If this is normal, then why did my Taco not make any sound until 80,000 miles? I'm sure when I drove it off of the lot new, Toyota's intent was that this should be a normal sound. Just sayin'.

2. Dec 26, 2011 at 3:11 PM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    Was going to ask how ***cold is it***> Weather related noise. BUT not in Florida!!!
    i.e. cold cables and moisture--

3. Dec 26, 2011 at 3:11 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Brake clack. Common and harmless. I have it, along with just about everyone I know that regularly gives their truck a workout.

4. Dec 26, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    08TacoTrD

08TacoTrD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
    Got a hitch with a ball mount in it? Mine makes some noise when I change directions.

5. Dec 26, 2011 at 3:13 PM
    TacoMal

TacoMal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    California
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road Dbl cab
    Wet Okole's, Relentless Sliders, Plasti Dipped badges and wheels
    Ditto, you can also search for brake noise or "pad slap" and you will find similar threads...

6. Dec 26, 2011 at 3:14 PM
    primer

primer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    OK
    Vehicle:
    06 SS Mica AC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    (Mostly) debadged, Homelink mirror, Elevated rear diff breather, LED illuminated 4x4 switch, Color matched grill surround, Bed cover, Ivan Stewart wheels, Bridgestone 265/75 Dueler AT Revo 2 tires
    I have "The clank" as well. It seems to occur the first time I apply the brakes either forward or in reverse. So when I back out of the garage and hit the brake the first time it happens. If I back up further and hit the brake again it usually doesn't happen. When I start going forward it happens the first time I hit the brake - but not after that. Until I go backward and hit the brake.

It's not always like this, but that is usually the pattern.

I always thought it was the rear - but now I think it is the front.

I'd love to know what it is too.

7. Dec 26, 2011 at 3:15 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Guys:

It's the front brakes. Toyota designs the calipers such that the pads themselves have play within them. When you apply the brakes traveling one direction, the pads shift that way during braking (clack!) and stay there until you brake again traveling the other direction, which shifts the pads again.

Harmless. I like it. Trucks need to make some noises.

8. Dec 26, 2011 at 3:35 PM
    primer

primer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    OK
    Vehicle:
    06 SS Mica AC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    (Mostly) debadged, Homelink mirror, Elevated rear diff breather, LED illuminated 4x4 switch, Color matched grill surround, Bed cover, Ivan Stewart wheels, Bridgestone 265/75 Dueler AT Revo 2 tires
    Pad slap. Did some searches and that sounds exactly right to me. I'll bet the OP has the same issue, but sorry if I hi-jacked.

Thanks

9. Dec 26, 2011 at 6:38 PM
    TOYOTA 09

TOYOTA 09 Kicking Ass Since 1981

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 MT 4x4 Access Cab
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    The question is WHY did Toyota make the caliper pad combo this way?

10. Aug 24, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    silverback

silverback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    central CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prerunner SR5
    painted door handles, bilstein 5100's front and back, K&N air filter. Precision power component speakers and Kenwood deck.
    Ive had the same thing for over 2 years. Though about getting it looked at but my brakes were not showing signs of failure or increased stopping distance. It is annoying though and when I sell my truck, It's going to be hard to convince the buyer this is normal.

11. Aug 24, 2012 at 10:29 AM
    ErocksTaco

ErocksTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 DCSB Sport Radiant Red
    OME 886 and rear Dakars Light Racing Upper Control Arms All pro U-bolt flip with Timbren Bump Stops CVJ Reman axles with off road boots Adventure Offroad Fab Sliders ARB Front Bumper Interior LEDs Weathertechs 2009+ taillights 2009+ headlights
    I think it has to do with the way they designed it so that you don't have to take the caliper off to take the brake pads out. I got some Hawk pads and it went away, but I've never seen a vehicle with such easy pads to replace. It's awesome.

Products Discussed in

To Top