1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Using 4x4 on pavement

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TG8, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Dec 27, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    Be gentle and go strait on pavement. If you plan ahead you can turn back to 2HI before making a sharp turn.

I will engage 4HI on wet strait road to get the 10 miles per month in to exercise the 4x4 as needed

2. Dec 27, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I agree

3. Dec 27, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    RedTaco2134

RedTaco2134 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Portland, Or
    Vehicle:
    08 Long Bed TRD Sport
    295/70/17 Cooper STT Pro, Revtek 3" lift. TSB rear and Blistein 5100's http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3097063
    Dry pavement w/ 4x4 can pop the CV axles. Happened to my buddy on his older Taco. lol

4. Dec 27, 2011 at 1:57 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    Here is a tip, try punctuation

5. Dec 27, 2011 at 5:35 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    If you don't use 4 wheel drive when it's slick your nuts if you drive around in 4 wheel drive all the time it wares tires and uses more gas and that's just as nuts. The radius of a turn on the road is not enough to bind the drive line up no way no how. Doing figure 8's in a parking lot in 4 wheel low will but that's also nuts It's a 4X4 truck damn it drive it as such. You think Toyota would tell you to use 4 wheel drive and smile when they had to pay for warranty repairs if they thought it was a issue? What kind of stress do you think your drive line is in climbing over big rocks in 4 wheel drive? Drive more worry less.

6. Dec 27, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Are you nuts ?

7. Dec 27, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    leeer1

leeer1 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 4x4
    Sorry for my ignorance but I would like some clarification on a couple of points. This is my first part-time 4wd vehicle.

1. You're suppose to drive in 4wd, 10 miles a month? Better when wet, but dry will do?
    2. I have a manual transmission with 4wd, does the binding issue occur with manual transmissions? the link refers to automatic transmissions having the binding issue.
    3. What is considered a sharp turn? 90 degrees at an intersection? is that considered too sharp?

TIA.

8. Dec 27, 2011 at 6:11 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes

9. Dec 27, 2011 at 6:14 PM
    Maverick904

Maverick904 Resident Fishing Expert

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    3" Procomp Lift, BDF Light Bar, Borla Stainless Cat-Back System, 2 10" Polk MM Subs, LED Interior Lighting, Pioneer Touch Screen, Kicker Speakers up front, Sonys in the back, Grillcraft grill, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Projector Retrofit Headlights. BHLM
    The 10 miles a month are to keep everything lubed up in the transfer case and what not. Just like a truck that sits for months not being driven, shit doesnt always work properly. If you dont use your 4x4 occasionally there is a better chance that things may not work as smoothly as they should.

You can drive straight on dry pavement in 4x4 but you need to be careful. Better to use it in slippery conditions wether it be snow/ice/dirt/mud whatever. Usually wet asphalt still grips enough to cause binding. And a 90* turn will probably see some binding. Hell you can see binding on full lock in dirt. Just gotta be careful.

Yes manuals will still bind. The binding comes from the fact that the outside wheels spin more than the inside wheels on a turn. with 4x4 they all try to spin the same amount. causing binding unless it slips..this is where slippery terrain comes into play.

10. Dec 27, 2011 at 6:21 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    10 miles a month is jsut the reccomended amount to make sure the 4wd system is kept lubed...if you don't use it you lose it.

The potential binding issue is with the front drive system, not the transmission, so it applies go both trannys.

Like said above, it doesent really matter what a sharp turn is, if you are in 4wd and turning sharp it better be a low traction system, otherwise why are you in 4wd. But a sharp turn would be turns like parking or maneuvering around a parking lot. You won't turn too sharp just driving on a normal road

11. Dec 27, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    * manual , Manuel

Yes , it does

12. Dec 27, 2011 at 6:27 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    How the hell does 10 mile seem high to use a drive train system on your vehicle? Some people pretty much keep it in 4wd all winter if they live in a place that gets a lot of snow

13. Dec 27, 2011 at 6:27 PM
    Maverick904

Maverick904 Resident Fishing Expert

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    3" Procomp Lift, BDF Light Bar, Borla Stainless Cat-Back System, 2 10" Polk MM Subs, LED Interior Lighting, Pioneer Touch Screen, Kicker Speakers up front, Sonys in the back, Grillcraft grill, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Projector Retrofit Headlights. BHLM
    its just a number to save their asses. so when you go to the dealer with a busted 4x4 system they will say. "well do you drive 10 miles monthly in 4x4" majority of the population will say "no" or "huh" and then the dealership can give you shit for improper use/care.

Just pop it on whenever you can. I drive down the beach every once in a while just to run the 4x4 a bit.

14. Dec 27, 2011 at 7:51 PM
    leeer1

leeer1 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 4x4
    Thanks for all the quick responses.

15. Dec 27, 2011 at 9:18 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    To me, having 4wd in any conditions other than dry pavement is more of a safety feature than anything else...its damn near impossible to pull out of a driveway quickly in the rain in 2wd...all you do is spin and nearly get hit...Ive been using the 4wd on my trucks in the rain and snow on pavement for the last 16 years, toyotas and nissans. Pretty much whenever its raining or snowing, I'm in 4wd unless im making really tight manuvers in a parking lot. Ive done 160k on my pathfinder doing this and over 70k on new and old tacos without a single drivetrain problem around turns and in a straight line. Dry pavment is bad but on wet pavement or snow covered pavement, the truck is as predictable and handles just as well in 4wd as it does on dry pavement in 2wd. I know a lot of people will disagree with me, and thats cool, but i thought i should share my experiences to let others know the drivetrains of these trucks are quite a bit tougher than people may think... Just my $.02

Crazyhorse6901 likes this.
  16. Dec 28, 2011 at 4:47 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    How old was the Taco? Mine had 248K on it when I sold it but I did have to replace the rear u joint because I used 4WD on the pavement at 208,000 miles. Here is the deal the tires will slip before a joint will brake ever think how much more abusive spinning the tires from a stand still on hard pavement is? That even winds your springs up much less the rest of the drive line.

17. Feb 28, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    From the Toyota Owners Online website...

Part-Time 4WD

The choice of serious off-roaders. Unlike full-time 4WD or AWD systems, which use a center differential to distribute power between the front and rear axles in varying percentages as conditions change, a part-time system is only in 4WD mode when selected by the driver. Part-time 4WD effectively locks the front and rear axles together for a 50/50 power split, which offers optimum traction, but limits turning on dry surfaces because the axles cannot slip or turn at different speeds. Therefore, part-time 4WD is not recommended for everyday driving or for use on dry pavement.

read the links below for more info...

18. Feb 29, 2012 at 4:14 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    No. It says at least 10 miles per month.

19. Feb 29, 2012 at 4:33 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd

20. Feb 29, 2012 at 2:40 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Your right...they did not say that.
    Where does Toyota tell the owners to drive 10 miles in 4WD on a hard surface? They don't say that in the owners manual. It's common knowledge that you don't (and would never have a reason to) drive a part-time 4WD on dry pavement. Unfortunately not everyone knows the differances between part-time and all-wheel drive.

Products Discussed in

To Top