1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mobil 1 filter (M1-102) for V-6?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MusicOn, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Nov 23, 2008 at 5:34 PM
    MusicOn

MusicOn [OP] Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 4WD TRD Sport
    TRD Cat Back
    Quick question on replacing the original factory Toyota oil filter (90915-20004) that came on the truck.

I performed the first oil change (at 1500 miles) with Mobil-1, and went to replace the filter with a Mobil 1 M1-102 filter (which is the one specified in the "book" at the parts store).

I had gotten one of those "end cap" type filter wrenches that specifically fits that particular filter, the kind you attach to a socket wrench.

Well, I went to remove the oil filter and the wrench was too big (even though it fits the Mobil 1 perfectly)! I expected from reading the forums that the replacement filter would be shorter than OEM, but a different diameter too?

I left the old filter on for the time being just in case, and since it's on too tight to remove without a wrench!

Any advice? Is M1-102 definitely the right filter for a 2009 V-6 4.0?

2. Nov 23, 2008 at 6:04 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Yep, You got the right filter. When buying filter wrenches, try to find them in a set. Should be 5 total. Many filters are different diameters, and haveing the set keeps you ahead of the game. :)

3. Nov 23, 2008 at 7:04 PM
    P. Bauer

P. Bauer Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    TRD S/C :: Intake Camburg SwayAway Magnaflow American Racing Donahoe Racing Wheelers OffRoad
    1. Remove the rubber nub that covers the drain tube under the oil filter housing, this will allow any oil that drips into the catch area to drain out the bottom when removing the filter. I use an Aquafina bottle wedged against the radiator or battery with the opening under the metal drain tube.

2. Take OIL cap off, this will allow your engine/pan to drain better.

3. While you are waiting for all the oil to drain, I take a Philips screwdriver and poke a hole in the top of the oil filter (you can use your hand or a hammer/mallet to drive the screwdriver through). This will allow the filter to drain as well, keeping the mess to a minimum when removing the oil filter. The last few oil/filter changes have resulted in absolutely no oil leaking when removing the filter.

4. If your oil filter wrench won't fit, you can also use the same screwdriver to punch a hole through the side of the filter and use that as leverage to unscrew the filter from the housing. Right about the middle of the filter, not near the base as you might damage the threads on the filter housing.

5. When installing a new oil filter, make sure to put some oil on the gasket, never leave it dry or else it will be a pain in the ass to remove next time. Also, you should only hand tighten the filter, take a shop towel or wear latex gloves when tightening it. I usually spin it on until it's tight, then go about 1/2 turn more. Never had a leak and always able to remove it the next time by hand, just need to put some grunt into it.

The dealers use an air ratchet when installing them, i swear!

4. Nov 23, 2008 at 7:12 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Filters have anti drain back valves. no need to punch a hole in the top of the filter.

5. Nov 23, 2008 at 8:04 PM
    MusicOn

MusicOn [OP] Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 4WD TRD Sport
    TRD Cat Back
    Thanks guys - good info about the larger filter (M1-209)!

6. Nov 23, 2008 at 8:34 PM
    P. Bauer

P. Bauer Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    TRD S/C :: Intake Camburg SwayAway Magnaflow American Racing Donahoe Racing Wheelers OffRoad
    In the last 4 Mobil 1 oil filters I have used, I have not had any leak from under the filter when removed.

On the first 2 filter changes, I did not punch a hole in the filter and was greeted to a nice rush of oil that luckily drained through the bottom port into the water bottle.

Your situation may be different, I am just relaying information that pertains to my oil changes on the 4.0L Tacoma engine with Mobil1-209 oil filters.

thanks.

7. Nov 24, 2008 at 4:48 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Interesting. Thanks for the tip. :)

8. Nov 24, 2008 at 9:53 AM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anybody have a rough time getting the filter off on the first oil change?
    Mine was a bear to get off.The factory put that sucker on tight as hell.

Products Discussed in

To Top