Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rumble while driving/shifting ?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
bikebarn5 is on a distinguished road
bikebarn5's Tacoma Gallery
Rumble while driving/shifting ?

I have a 2009 Tacoma 4X4 SR5 V6 Automatic w/ 71,000 miles. All I have done for maintenance are regular oil changes every 5k, tire rotations 5k, air filter (30k & 70 k) k & N, and spark plugs 70k.

I replaced the stock wheels and tires at 30k just wanted to give you all the facts.

About a week ago I noticed a slight rumble pulling out of my driveway. Brushed it off b/c it was early and I was pretty tired. Since then it has happened about a half dozen more times. It is very irregular so I can not determine much of a pattern. Feels like it is stumbling on itself or can't fully shift usually at very low speeds (under 25mph).

Before I go to the mechanic or dealership I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this or has suggestions. Wondering about transmission maintenance, drive shaft torquing, 4x4 stuff?

Thank you for all the advice in advance.

John
Old 12-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Profile and original post say auto OZ.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe try starting out in the low gears (rather than D)to see if it does it when you manually shift up.

Could it be an exhaust rumble? Change of season / gas blend can make funny stuff happen in the exhaust gases.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
bikebarn5 is on a distinguished road
bikebarn5's Tacoma Gallery
Truck is an automatic.

I will try to shift it myself and see what happens.

Can't narrow down the shake yet. Not excessively coming from anywhere but it feels as though I can feel it in steering wheel, pedal, and shifter.

Thanks for the advice so far.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:55 AM   #6
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Does it go away in 4wd? If sO, do a search for front differential bearing noise...