Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug - Results

Old 11-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
Mingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mingy's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Magnetic Oil Drain Plug - Results

About 8,000 km ago (5,000 miles), somebody posted a question about magnetic drain plugs or oil filters or something. Just for a laugh I stuck 2 'rare earth magnets' about 3/8" diamete on my oil plug. Then I forgot all about them.

Yesterday I did my oil change and discovered the magets (These are really strong magnets). When I removed the plug, there was absolutely nothing in the way of metal debris on it. Nada. Like new. Clean.

Says something about the internal fit & finish of the engine.

This made me very happy.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
That's good to hear. I just did my oil change and I'm going to send a sample into Blackstone Labs for an analysis. I'll be curious what they say.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
the filter catches all the garbage in the engine. If you find metal in the pan, damage is already done. Oil samples are the best way to "early detect" any engine problems.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
and i am the guy that says a magnet only works on ferrous materials ( iron) so would not show bearing material,aluminum,brass,copper
Very true, but it would show crank shaft, con rods, cams, etc.
Of course, if it DID show on the plug, its too late.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:28 AM   #5
Mingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mingy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
the filter catches all the garbage in the engine. If you find metal in the pan, damage is already done. Oil samples are the best way to "early detect" any engine problems.
Unless Toyota is unlike any other engine, the filter takes the crap out before it is circulated to the wear surfaces. It then pools in the pan which cools the oil before it is recirculated back to the filter. The design of the pump and pan prevents a lot of stuff from even getting near the filter as a result of mechanical separation.

All friction bearing parts are 'lapped in' through wear, resulting in some metal debris. There could also be debris left over from the manufacturing process. A portion of that metal debris would collect on the rare earth magnet. I am sure that if I examined the plug under high magnification I'd see some.

I was reporting on an experiment, not a solution.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingy View Post
Unless Toyota is unlike any other engine, the filter takes the crap out before it is circulated to the wear surfaces. It then pools in the pan which cools the oil before it is recirculated back to the filter. The design of the pump and pan prevents a lot of stuff from even getting near the filter as a result of mechanical separation.

All friction bearing parts are 'lapped in' through wear, resulting in some metal debris. There could also be debris left over from the manufacturing process. A portion of that metal debris would collect on the rare earth magnet. I am sure that if I examined the plug under high magnification I'd see some.

I was reporting on an experiment, not a solution.
Coffee hadnt taken full afect when I posted, I guess. Yes, there will be some metal on the magnet, but very small. For some reason, I was thinking you were looking for large peices.