Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

I'm a newbie and have a stupid question

Old 12-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
Haseaboggin is on a distinguished road

Name: Casey
Haseaboggin's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a newbie and have a stupid question

I have a 2010 dbl cab short bed and I'm looking at the 5100's and I'm curious if I can use my stock springs or do I need to buy new ones? Will I need a diff drop with the 5100's? I did the TSB springs on the back and now my truck looks like crap with a serious rake. I have been looking at spacers but those make me nervous.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
the 5100s are actually made to be used with stock coils, you'll be fine using them and having the 5100's lift.

from what ive heard diff drops dont do much for 2nd gens.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
From my understanding, a diff drop is not required, but is probably a good idea.
Also, your stock springs should be fine, but if you plan on jacking the 5100's as high as they go, new springs would be reccomended.

Lastly, there is no such thing as a stupid question on TW. Unless someone just feels like being a douche and making it seem like a stupid question.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
it's not a stupid question and a quick search would have yielded plenty of topics with the right answers

to answer your question..yes you can use your stock springs with the 5100's no problems..

the diff drop have proven to be useless over the years so i wouldn't recommend in getting that kit
Old 12-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #5
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
the 5100s are actually made to be used with stock coils, you'll be fine using them and having the 5100's lift.

from what ive heard diff drops dont do much for 2nd gens.
^ This
Old 12-28-2011, 10:42 PM   #7

Thank you for the help!! I'm gonna order my 5100's asap!! How hard are they to install? I wanna do the max lift on the 5100s to level it. Will that be bad with stock springs?
Old 12-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #8
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haseaboggin View Post
Thank you for the help!! I'm gonna order my 5100's asap!! How hard are they to install? I wanna do the max lift on the 5100s to level it. Will that be bad with stock springs?
You'll be nose high at max

You probably want to set them at 1.75
Old 12-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
You'll be nose high at max

You probably want to set them at 1.75

I have the TSB leafs and my back in 3.5 inches higher then the front now
Old 12-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #11

Sweet thanks for all the help. Now to talk the wife into buying some 5100s LOL!!!
Old 12-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #12

How hard are the 5100s to install? Do I need a spring compressor?
Old 12-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #13
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do I need a spring compressor?
Yes
Old 12-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have the TSB leafs and my back in 3.5 inches higher then the front now
Did you just get the TSB done ?
Old 12-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #15
The Ayatollah of Asshollah
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Anything higher than 1.75, and you will start to run into alignment issues with these trucks,, I have my 5100's on trd stock coils set at 1.75 and it's a little stiff but it aligned perfect. My understanding is that any higher than 1.75 and you should be looking at new UCA's to get the truck to align
Old 12-28-2011, 10:53 PM   #16

Yeah got it done about 3 weeks ago
Old 12-28-2011, 10:53 PM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah got it done about 3 weeks ago
They will settle to about 3/4"-1" over the US stock 3 leaf pack .
Old 12-28-2011, 10:55 PM   #20
The Ayatollah of Asshollah
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Have a shop mount the springs for you, don't try without a real compressor, very dangerous.