Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD sport rims bubbling

Old 12-29-2011, 03:12 AM   #1
Have a coke and a smile and shut the f#%k up!
hogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
hogeyphenogey's Tacoma Gallery
TRD sport rims bubbling

So, like others on here, my 06 sport's rims are bubbling and flaking. I was talking to a wheel refurb guy we use at the dealer and there are several options I never thought of. Our 17" sport wheels are turned on a lathe he says, so a little more cost to get them back to normal but still very reasonable. Or I could go the way of powder coating a different color and it would be cheaper as he wouldn't have to turn them. There's black and gray, etc... But he also mentioned keeping the spokes normal and powder coating the cups or holes black. That sounded interesting. I could also color match my indigo ink instead of black. Has anyone else done anything like that? My truck has small amounts of chrome that I like, so I don't think black or anthracite rims would look all that good...take a look at my profile pics. However, either factory silver or possibly coating the holes sounds feasible. Any input?
Old 12-29-2011, 05:27 AM   #2
fjm0008 has a spectacular aura aboutfjm0008 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jack
fjm0008's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem with the sport wheels. I painted the inside black. I did it myself, it was a lot of work but looks much better now. I have some pictures you can check them out.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:29 AM   #3
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
black would look really good I think
Old 12-29-2011, 05:48 AM   #6
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by novanut21 View Post
found a few more pic of just the rims

how and what did you paint those with?
Old 12-29-2011, 05:59 AM   #7
toojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
toojayz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty 06 4x4 View Post
He had them powder coated
Old 12-29-2011, 06:00 AM   #8
novanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
novanut21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I took them to a powder coating shop. They powder coated them in gloss black.

Edit: toojayz beat me too it!
Old 12-29-2011, 06:10 AM   #9
NBHNC

Quote:
I took them to a powder coating shop. They powder coated them in gloss black.

Edit: toojayz beat me too it!
what did it cost if you dont mind me asking I want to do mine
Old 12-29-2011, 07:08 AM   #10
novanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
what did it cost if you dont mind me asking I want to do mine
They cleaned,stripped,prepped & powder coated them for $85 per rim. But I have seen that pricing does depend on where your located. You may be able to get it done for cheaper.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:09 AM   #11
NBHNC

thats reasonable
Old 12-29-2011, 08:16 AM   #12

Quote:
thats reasonable
I thought so too he also didn't charge me any tax because I paid in cash. So $340 out the door.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:26 AM   #13
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
So did you just want the stock wheels in black? I wouldn't mind doing mine but can find a set of black aftermarkets for not much more than the price of powder coating, plus the fact that I wouldn't have any wheels to drive on for however long it takes. Which brings me to the idea of painting them. But I'm afraid of the paint not holding up and winding up with scratches and them looking like sh*t. They look awesome btw.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:37 AM   #14
she'll ride
nut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AC3 (Vet)
Name: Patrick
nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
found a few more pic of just the rims

im thinking about doing the same thing, i dont know if i want gloss or not though
Old 12-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
So did you just want the stock wheels in black? I wouldn't mind doing mine but can find a set of black aftermarkets for not much more than the price of powder coating, plus the fact that I wouldn't have any wheels to drive on for however long it takes. Which brings me to the idea of painting them. But I'm afraid of the paint not holding up and winding up with scratches and them looking like sh*t. They look awesome btw.

Well actually I looked and looked for months and could not find a set of aftermarkets that I liked. Then I came across the XD Spy's in black and really like them but there was already several trucks in my town running them including 2 taco's. (It was becoming an epidemic kinda like the dick cepeck dc-1's were afew years ago)So I decided to keep looking when one day I came across a guy on here that had his painted black and really liked the look. So I had someone photo shop me some pics of my truck with black sport wheels and it was a done deal from there. I really like them and I get asked all the time where I got those black toyota wheels from. Thanks man!

Also there are some guys that have spray paint there wheels with good results. And if you scratch them a quick hit with a rattle can can fit it.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nut View Post
im thinking about doing the same thing, i dont know if i want gloss or not though

Yeah I changed my mind several times and looked a dozen or so samples of black they had. But I finally bit the bullet and went with gloss black and I'm glad I did I really like it.