1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD sport rims bubbling

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hogeyphenogey, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Dec 29, 2011 at 3:12 AM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey [OP] Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    So, like others on here, my 06 sport's rims are bubbling and flaking. I was talking to a wheel refurb guy we use at the dealer and there are several options I never thought of. Our 17" sport wheels are turned on a lathe he says, so a little more cost to get them back to normal but still very reasonable. Or I could go the way of powder coating a different color and it would be cheaper as he wouldn't have to turn them. There's black and gray, etc... But he also mentioned keeping the spokes normal and powder coating the cups or holes black. That sounded interesting. I could also color match my indigo ink instead of black. Has anyone else done anything like that? My truck has small amounts of chrome that I like, so I don't think black or anthracite rims would look all that good...take a look at my profile pics. However, either factory silver or possibly coating the holes sounds feasible. Any input?

2. Dec 29, 2011 at 5:27 AM
    fjm0008

fjm0008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    I had the same problem with the sport wheels. I painted the inside black. I did it myself, it was a lot of work but looks much better now. I have some pictures you can check them out.

3. Dec 29, 2011 at 5:29 AM
    Rusty 06 4x4

Rusty 06 4x4 NBHNC

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    West Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD DCSB
    black would look really good I think

4. Dec 29, 2011 at 5:39 AM
    novanut21

novanut21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat-back, TRD S/C, TRD Quickshifter, URD Fuel Pump Kit, Wet Okoles Front&Rear, WeatherTech Mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Satoshi grille, JBA "shorty" headers, URD Y-Pipe, TTC Oil Catch Can, Lotek Dual Apillar gauge pod w/ Autometer Phantom II AFR & Vac/Boost, URD Pulley, HID Retrofit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had my powder coated gloss black. :D I think black would look good with indigo ink.

5. Dec 29, 2011 at 5:45 AM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat-back, TRD S/C, TRD Quickshifter, URD Fuel Pump Kit, Wet Okoles Front&Rear, WeatherTech Mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Satoshi grille, JBA "shorty" headers, URD Y-Pipe, TTC Oil Catch Can, Lotek Dual Apillar gauge pod w/ Autometer Phantom II AFR & Vac/Boost, URD Pulley, HID Retrofit.
    found a few more pic of just the rims

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Dec 29, 2011 at 5:48 AM
    Rusty 06 4x4

Rusty 06 4x4 NBHNC

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    West Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD DCSB
    how and what did you paint those with?

7. Dec 29, 2011 at 5:59 AM
    toojayz

toojayz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4 DC MGM SB
    He had them powder coated

8. Dec 29, 2011 at 6:00 AM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    I took them to a powder coating shop. They powder coated them in gloss black.

Edit: toojayz beat me too it!

9. Dec 29, 2011 at 6:10 AM
    Rusty 06 4x4

Rusty 06 4x4 NBHNC

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    West Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD DCSB
    what did it cost if you dont mind me asking I want to do mine

10. Dec 29, 2011 at 7:08 AM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    They cleaned,stripped,prepped & powder coated them for $85 per rim. But I have seen that pricing does depend on where your located. You may be able to get it done for cheaper.

11. Dec 29, 2011 at 7:09 AM
    Rusty 06 4x4

Rusty 06 4x4 NBHNC

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    West Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD DCSB
    thats reasonable

12. Dec 29, 2011 at 8:16 AM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    I thought so too he also didn't charge me any tax because I paid in cash. So $340 out the door. :cool:

13. Dec 29, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    So did you just want the stock wheels in black? I wouldn't mind doing mine but can find a set of black aftermarkets for not much more than the price of powder coating, plus the fact that I wouldn't have any wheels to drive on for however long it takes. Which brings me to the idea of painting them. But I'm afraid of the paint not holding up and winding up with scratches and them looking like sh*t. They look awesome btw.

14. Dec 29, 2011 at 8:37 AM
    nut

nut she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    TRD SKEWP DCSB 4x4 Silver Mica | URD TCAI/MAF CAL | BHLM | GrillCraft | FF Sliders | LED's All Around | 12v Constant On | EGR In Channel | 15% Tint | Trimmed mud flaps | Fog Light Anytime Mod | Debadged | Tailgate Hoseclamp | DTRL Switch | Disabled Lock Beep/Seatbelt Chime | Husky Liners | HID's | BedRug | WO Seat Covers | ABS Kill Switch | Oil Catch Can | Viper 5704 | Custom Carbon Cabin Filter | Backup Camera Anytime | 400W Anytime | In Cab Outlet W/USB | Firestone Ride Rites | Ams Oil All Around | 32" LED In Lower Grill | BlackVue DR500GW-HD |

im thinking about doing the same thing, i dont know if i want gloss or not though

15. Dec 29, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT

Well actually I looked and looked for months and could not find a set of aftermarkets that I liked. Then I came across the XD Spy's in black and really like them but there was already several trucks in my town running them including 2 taco's. (It was becoming an epidemic kinda like the dick cepeck dc-1's were afew years ago)So I decided to keep looking when one day I came across a guy on here that had his painted black and really liked the look. So I had someone photo shop me some pics of my truck with black sport wheels and it was a done deal from there. I really like them and I get asked all the time where I got those black toyota wheels from. Thanks man!

Also there are some guys that have spray paint there wheels with good results. And if you scratch them a quick hit with a rattle can can fit it.

16. Dec 29, 2011 at 9:24 AM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT

Yeah I changed my mind several times and looked a dozen or so samples of black they had. But I finally bit the bullet and went with gloss black and I'm glad I did I really like it.

Products Discussed in

To Top