Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

High beam indicator light...whoa!

Old 12-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
Salt is on a distinguished road

Salt's Tacoma Gallery
High beam indicator light...whoa!

Is it just me or is the high beam indicator light on the dashboard (2012 ORCD) crazy bright?

I've only put a thousand miles on my truck but I've grown to really dislike the high beams b/c of the indicator light. (and that the fogs turn off - lame) I have to keep my right hand positioned on the steering wheel in just the right spot so that i block the little blue f'er.

The indicator does not dim with the rest of the dash, not a surprise really.

Yes, it's a bit trivial but the little blue MF'er kills my night vision and is driving me crazy.

I'm I alone here or do others share my opinion? Any suggestions to tone down this indicator?

Cheers,

Salt
Old 12-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Pics?
Old 12-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
Old Sheepdog
Primersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Primersinmyshoe's Tacoma Gallery
Put a little bitty piece of black electrical tape over it.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
jackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jack
jackrules's Tacoma Gallery
Do fog light mod for fogs and highs.
Frankly I like the high beam light to be bright.. but I still don't even really notice it, and I generally pic up on details... You could just go in there and put something over the indicator. But remember to turn em off when people are coming at you
Old 12-29-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
SHAKE JONES is one of the sharper tools in the shedSHAKE JONES is one of the sharper tools in the shedSHAKE JONES is one of the sharper tools in the shedSHAKE JONES is one of the sharper tools in the shedSHAKE JONES is one of the sharper tools in the shedSHAKE JONES is one of the sharper tools in the shedSHAKE JONES is one of the sharper tools in the shedSHAKE JONES is one of the sharper tools in the shedSHAKE JONES is one of the sharper tools in the shedSHAKE JONES is one of the sharper tools in the shedSHAKE JONES is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Wyatt
SHAKE JONES's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I actually noticed it was bright compared to my other vehicles. And like they said, the fog light mod! I did it the second week I had my truck
Old 12-29-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Probably because idiots drive around with their high beans 24/7. Hopefully now they'll realize.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:19 AM   #8
Special Substitute Guest Member
cintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
cintocrunch's Tacoma Gallery
Fog light mod is the best...Take the gauge cluster out and remove the bulb, I know it was pretty simple in my '11 Civic.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #10

Salt's Tacoma Gallery
thanks all,

Thanks for the comments fellas. I'll check out the foglight mod.

Tape is a good temporary solution, thanks for the suggestion.

I'm always awear of my high beam status, so no worries about forgetting that my highbeams are on.

Thanks & Happy new year.

Salt.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:35 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The reason it is so bright is so you don't drive around with them on all day.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:00 PM   #12
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
In rural areas without street lighting, it is common to drive with high beams most of the time, only dropping to low beams when encountering oncoming traffic.

It is ironic the OP is driving a 2012, which switched from amber to white/blue instrument lighting. Amber was better for night vision.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:33 AM   #13
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

TRDsport253's Tacoma Gallery
Does the 2012 have Fog light on/off indicator on the instrument cluster now? I had an 07 is250 which had fogs on/off indicator on the instrument cluster and then I traded in for an 06 is350 which is the first production year for the redesign and it does not have fog lights indicator now its just like my truck. Have to double check button just to see if you fog light is on or not.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:29 AM   #14
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-31-2011, 03:30 AM   #15
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDsport253 View Post
Does the 2012 have Fog light on/off indicator on the instrument cluster now? I had an 07 is250 which had fogs on/off indicator on the instrument cluster and then I traded in for an 06 is350 which is the first production year for the redesign and it does not have fog lights indicator now its just like my truck. Have to double check button just to see if you fog light is on or not.
05 was the first year of the reproduction
Old 12-31-2011, 12:57 PM   #16

Salt's Tacoma Gallery
Well, here is a pretty crappy cell phone pic. Truck was off, high beams on. Most of my night driving is on the outskirts of town, so I encounter very few oncoming cars.

I think that the blue color is the primary issue, it's messing with my eyes.

Salt
Attached Thumbnails
High beam indicator light...whoa!-img-20111229-00004.jpg  
Old 12-31-2011, 02:09 PM   #17
Easily Replaceable Member
elmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
elmo7's Tacoma Gallery
I have no idea what the fog light mod would do for you. Unless the mod is to replace them with spot beams.

My wife has some great pens from the hobby shop. They are paint pens. Shake em up and black out all those frustrating LED's. I've dotted quite a few on so many LED covered things. Better coverage than a Sharpie and you can reapply coats if more is needed. I hate the blue's too.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:41 PM   #18

Salt's Tacoma Gallery
Agreed, fog light mod is cool but It won't help me with the little blue f'er.

I'm thinking that I'll use a removable decal from my daughters room / wall.

Cheers.

Salt
Old 01-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #19

Salt's Tacoma Gallery
Small removable decal worked like a charm. It removes the distraction and I can still see a blue halo around the sticker. Perfect.

Salt
Old 01-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #20
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
High beam lights on new vehicles should be blinking and have a changing light color.

I cannot believe how many people drive around chicagoland and have no clue they are blinding everyone.

People do not even know what the light means. I have also noticed there are more toyota's with their brights on than others maybe this is the reason for the brighter light.