1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who has replaced a complete 3rd member and/or clam-shell from ECGS?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by 4X42HEL, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Dec 29, 2011 at 10:21 PM
    4X42HEL

4X42HEL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB TRD-OR 4x4
    I'm doing some research for options to re-gear, and I gave ECGS a call today. The guy was very helpful and basically told me he would recommend I just buy the rear 3rd member and front clamshell as complete assemblies and just swap them out of my truck, instead of having a shop perform ring/pinion installs.

This sort of makes sense.

Question is: Has anybody gone this route and installed the parts themselves in this manner? I read the sticky about the 3rd member replacement and it doesn't seem too difficult, but I don't know if it makes sense to swap out my factory equipment for members that can be 4 or 5 years older with thousands of miles on them? I know they are rebuilt, but I'm just wondering what others have done.

FWIW, that Chase guy was very knowledgeable and helpful.

2. Dec 30, 2011 at 6:34 AM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    Ive been thinking of going the same route...

3. Dec 30, 2011 at 6:58 AM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I'd ask Chase which components in the third are new and which are used. If they rebuild them with new gears, bearings and seals then I'd think the quality would be as good as new. Like whippersnapper said, the housing doesn't really wear out and I'd think the same goes for the carrier.

4. Dec 30, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    NwiTACO

NwiTACO Big tars, little/no bed.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    Custom Everything, 1 Ton Axles F & R
    I wen this way for my ARB installs. He set them up and sent them out to me, I swapped them and sent mine back.

No problems.

Chase has a great warranty so you dont need to worry about anything. Literally. I toasted a Lock-Rite I had and he creditted me towards the ARB the full price over a year later.

Best Customer Service you will get, hands down.

5. Dec 31, 2011 at 9:13 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    IMO best way to do it and 5 year warranty to boot! :)

6. Dec 31, 2011 at 9:17 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Yep, chances are the housing you get won't be that old anyway.

Best way to do it I think.

7. Jan 1, 2012 at 4:35 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    swapped the front out but built the rear. i would have swapped both although i have a detroit trutrac in the rear. i strongly suggest the swap its a real pain in the ass to do it yourself . to pay someone to rebuild and install it will cost about 1000-1500 for labor,about 10-15 hours

8. Aug 2, 2012 at 10:04 AM
    Turd Herding Jim

Turd Herding Jim What's wrong bro, DERPes flaring up?

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    3" Icon Stage 3 lift, All Pro Off Road APEX front bumper, Amor Tech Off Road high clearance rear bumer, Armor Tech Off Road rock sliders. URD Short Shifter, HID Headlights, Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 285/75-16 Falken Rock Mountain ATS tires, 4.56's with front and rear ARB air lockers, BesTop Soft Cover
    Just came across the thread, I just got my new 3rd member and clamshell in yesterday going to shoot for the install this weekend. If you're still interested I will let you know how everything goes!

9. Aug 2, 2012 at 10:11 AM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread
    i would be quite interested..... esp if you took some pics while doing the install.

10. Aug 2, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    Turd Herding Jim

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    3" Icon Stage 3 lift, All Pro Off Road APEX front bumper, Amor Tech Off Road high clearance rear bumer, Armor Tech Off Road rock sliders. URD Short Shifter, HID Headlights, Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 285/75-16 Falken Rock Mountain ATS tires, 4.56's with front and rear ARB air lockers, BesTop Soft Cover
    Is it going to help me out that I have the 2.7? You know not as much motor under da hood could possibly mean a little more room to work with underneath. And it can't be as hard as the bullshit DB lift I installed in my old silverado. Stupid Rough Country and their discount lifts:frusty:

11. Aug 2, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    Turd Herding Jim

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    pretty sure there are going to be 4 of us working on it, me plus one in the back(easy end) and 2 pros up front :D

12. Aug 2, 2012 at 10:35 AM
    Turd Herding Jim

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    hope so, shoe creek trip is coming up very soon, want to have these in!

13. Aug 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM
    Turd Herding Jim

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    finished the rear diff install! Really Simple, here's what you do:

First drain oil from diff, top hole is fill and bottom is drain
    [​IMG]

next unbolt drive shaft at rear diff flange
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then unbolt all of your brake lines from rear axle housing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then unbolt your emergency brake lines from frame on both sides of truck
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

next unbolt the 4 bolts holding drums to axle housing on both sides and unplug ABS sensors. Might have to use a dead blow to break drums free from axle housing. Do this on both sides.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    then unbolt 3rd member from axle housing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now that you have the 3rd member unbolted this is where having 3 people with you comes in very handy. Have the two other guys gently pull on the brake drums so the axles are clear from the gears in order to pull 3rd member.

When 3rd is out install new 3rd with your buddies once again gently pulling on the brake drums for clearance. Now re-install everything in the reverse order I just described. Just a note after you bolt in the new 3rd you may have to manually turn the drive flange in order for the axle splines to line up correctly and slide all the way in.

Like I said this was a surprisingly easy job, next weekend...front diff swap(don't worry I removed my front drive shaft so I wont be blowing up my transfer case due to the different gears)
    [​IMG]

You boys with the PreRunners have it made when it comes to this lol!

14. Aug 4, 2012 at 11:43 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Trolled by the bump. Woops.

Glad you mentioned this. Tis important....absolutely critical if you've blown up your gearset.

Also, don't forget to re-seal Jim ;)

15. Aug 4, 2012 at 12:37 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    That's a good time!

16. Aug 4, 2012 at 1:00 PM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    Looks easy enough! As soon as i locate some new pinion bearings im gonna be tackling front and rear gear installs . . . . . anyone know of a good write up for that!? I been trying to get as much info as possible

17. Aug 4, 2012 at 1:05 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    zuk has about the best install writeups you'll find.

18. Aug 4, 2012 at 1:12 PM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    my buddy owns a trans shop and will be installing them, i asked if i could help and more or less just dont wanna go into it completely ignorant to whats goin on! Thanks for the Zuk reference

19. Aug 4, 2012 at 2:19 PM
    Turd Herding Jim

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    I guess I did leave out the step about me taking almost an hour to clean it. I keep forgetting sometimes that common sense is no longer so common. The seals have less than 5K on them, I've been in there once before lol

20. Aug 5, 2012 at 2:49 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    Sub'd. Thanks for the write up!

Products Discussed in